Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's official Blu-Ray wins!  (Read 2626 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: It's official Blu-Ray wins!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Ehm, Java has a complete 'Virtual Machine'? And, java is partially compiled (or completely, if one uses a java chip which often can be found in cell phones)

ECMA Script is provided with well documented and powerful API's (libraries and toolkits ), it's more widely used and runs on more platforms... JIT compilers also exist for it...

I mean, it's a complete fourth generation programming language, while such a scripting language can barely called a third generation language (if it can be called a programming language at all).

Might be an idea to google ECMAScript before commenting....

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 06:52:11 PM »
I've worked with it more than once, Bloodline, I know what I'm talking about. ECMA is utter sh*te.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
I've worked with it more than once, Bloodline, I know what I'm talking about. ECMA is utter sh*te.

Not saying it isn't, but I think it's a better fit than Java for this application, and you've not told me yet why I'm wrong...

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

bloodline wrote:

it's more widely used and runs on more platforms...

Er, no.  Java in it's various forms is much more widespread.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 12:15:28 AM »

uncharted wrote:

bloodline wrote:

it's more widely used and runs on more platforms...

Er, no.  Java in it's various forms is much more widespread.

I'm not convinced that Java is more widely spread than ECMAScript, which is currently available on almost every single web browser currently surfing the internet...

Anyway that is neither here nor there... we are talking about an interactive content authoring system for use on the next generation of Digital Media... I personally think the XML/ECMAScript is a much better fit for this task, and no one here has told me why Java would be better...

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
If I ever fit a 20+ GB hard drive in my Amiga I will need a Blu-ray writer to back it up.
The alternative is to use about 24,000 Floppy disks. :-)

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »

bloodline wrote:

I'm not convinced that Java is more widely spread than ECMAScript, which is currently available on almost every single web browser currently surfing the internet...

Every modern mobile phone has at least one JavaVM. SIM cards use JavaCard.  And of course most modern phones have J2ME on them as well.

There are a large number of mobile and embedded Java devices that you probably aren't aware of.  As you implied, ECMAScript is largely limited to web browsers.

Anyway that is neither here nor there...

Just correcting your erroneous statement, I don't give a {bleep} about HD or geek battles over which language is best.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »

A6000 wrote:
If I ever fit a 20+ GB hard drive in my Amiga I will need a Blu-ray writer to back it up.

I already have an 80 GB drive in my Amiga (A1-XE), so I'm already there. I'll be waiting until Bluray rewriters drop under $100 first though.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »

Hans_ wrote:

A6000 wrote:

I already have an 80 GB drive in my Amiga (A1-XE), so I'm already there. I'll be waiting until Bluray rewriters drop under $100 first though.

Hans

...Talking of which, does anyone remember those things that allowed you to use a VHS recorder as a hard disk backup spooler ?
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »
Yep, I remember reading about those VHS backup solutions. It seemed like a very nifty and cost effective backup method at the time.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
@uncharted

Just correcting your erroneous statement, I don't give a {bleep} about HD or geek battles over which language is best.

I think you did yourself in with that one. ;-) There's no direct correlation between the language and the services provided by the underlying system. Java without its standard libraries and a complete JVM, e.g. a piss poor subset of J2ME, is no more useful than ECMAScript without a host environment. For what it's worth, I use ECMAScript as my primary scripting language in Windows, and coupled with custom type libraries, it can do just about anything any other COM-aware language can do. I guess it's all about how you use it. (Think of the Visual Basic hacking days of yore--a time that redefined rapid development and permanently changed the face of in-house software development.) Some day, Sun will revoke its runtime license grants and force all Java developers and users to pay exorbitant license fees.

@all

I'm rather sad that Blu-Ray "won." From a consumer standpoint, HD-DVD was the superior choice: 1) players are backward compatible with DVD (not compulsory for Blu-Ray players), 2) the standard was finished (Blu-Ray is coming up on Profile 2.0, and nothing currently on the market other than the PS3 is forward compatible--in other words, eff you Early Adopters), and 3) HD-DVD lacked region coding. Add to that the Blu-Ray "feature" that allows a vendor to disable your player on the fly if it thinks it's been tampered with, Sony's typical proprietary license structure, and the lack of direct retail competition (apart from legacy DVD), and Blu-Ray is going to have consumers bending over and taking it for years to come.

I'll give Blu-Ray kudos for its capacity lead over HD-DVD, but I buy movies to watch movies. I'd rather cut down on the extras than put up with media providers trying to control what I do and when I do it.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »

Trev wrote:
3) HD-DVD lacked region coding. Add to that the Blu-Ray "feature" that allows a vendor to disable your player on the fly if it thinks it's been tampered with, Sony's typical proprietary license structure, and the lack of direct retail competition (apart from legacy DVD), and Blu-Ray is going to have consumers bending over and taking it for years to come.

Actually, both formats have region coding, and both formats are designed to allow studios to disable your player if they think that it's been tampered with (it's called key revoking). I'm pretty sure that this is something that the studios insisted on having in return for their support.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Blu-Ray not backwards compatible? Or is backwards compatibility possible but not defined as standard?

-edit- AFAIK the Playstation 3 is compatible with the Playstation 2, so the Blu-Ray medium can take DVD's, and as such, the latter must be true.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
@Hans_

I don't think region coding was ever added to the HD-DVD specification. I believe there were talks to add it, but at this point, I guess it doesn't matter.

Re: key revoking. Isn't this implemented using key recovation lists on HD-DVD media? I don't have the technical details, but I don't think it's possible for a new HD-DVD title to prevent a player from playing an older HD-DVD title; however, I do believe it is possible for a new Blu-Ray title to completely disable a Blu-Ray player. Trying to sort out the technical details....

@Speelgoedmannetje

For a Blu-Ray player to be backwards compatible, the optical bits would have to support reading CD and DVD media. Such compatibility is not mandatory for Blu-Ray players.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #28 from previous page: March 05, 2008, 10:55:12 PM »
@Trev

You're right about the region coding, which they were, at one stage going to have.

AFAIK, player key revocation exists for HD-DVD. They're using the same content protection system as Blu-Ray.

Hans