Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple go G5  (Read 3698 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Apple go G5
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2003, 12:31:38 PM »
£1,100 pounds or so?  For a dual processor workstation?  Have you checked out the x86 price equivalents recently? - edit- oh yeah, just noticed that price was for the 1.6GHz single CPU model.  Grr.

Oh, and three cheers for the "thorough" benchmarking by AMDZone.  Not.  You'd think getting hold of such tasty spec machines, the geeky nature would take over to want to run every test under the sun on them, but no.

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2003, 01:23:26 PM »
AMDzone:
"No one pays $2,000 to $3,000 for a desktop computer.  "

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AmiDog

• Show only replies by AmiDog
    • http://www.amidog.com
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2003, 02:56:50 PM »
If we ignore floating-point how does the G5 compare to the Pentiums? Is there a benchmark out there somewhere?

Just follow the link in the newspost and click on "performance", or click here.

The dual-G5 2GHz is just a little faster than the dual-Xeon 3GHz.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2003, 02:58:23 PM »
Never trust benchmarks from the maker of the product :-)

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2003, 04:25:31 PM »
it isnt just about the CPU its about many differant things... OSX,etc... the price offered by apple for a dual rig of that level of power is pretty good... a dual P4 Xeon is alot of money compared to apples dualie.

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2003, 04:47:58 PM »
Never trust benchmarks from the maker of the product

Never trust benchmarks, full stop.

I only visit these lame x86 sites (eg TomsHardware) only for a good laugh and my daily dose of FUD. I would trust CNews', Reuters', etc "analysts" as much as a Firewall developed by Micro$oft.

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2003, 04:50:14 PM »
Nevertheless, I 'm buying the dual G5 when it comes out :-)
I'll keep my Athlon system though, running it as a rootless Linux box.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2003, 06:26:57 PM »

Never trust benchmarks, full stop.

This I disagree with.

Maybe "Learn how to intepret benchmarks properly".  At the end of the day, benchmarks are only important when you're looking to buy new hardware.  Then you should learn a bit about what capabilities of the hardware you currently use are taxed, then pay more attention to the benchmarks that apply to those areas.  I say 'pay more attention', because a CPU could be especially good at one thing you know is important to you, but really suck in another category that either you didn't know you should have held that category as important too, or that it would be important to you in the near future, due to change of software, or doing something new with your computer.

Benchmarks are very important, but they are difficult to interpret for one's own full advantage.  Another issue is the one-upmanship that goes on between CPU manufacturers for example, how that can sway one's judgement even when you're not looking at the high-end CPUs.

It requires a reasonable amount of technical competence and a significant amount of experience to interpret them properly.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2003, 07:14:12 PM »
AMDZone:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought the zelots around here were sad.  I've never read so much bias (outside of the amiga community) in my life.

I can't believe that anyone would seriously  think that Steve Jobs would get up and say "Hey guys, here is the future of Apple, it's great, but not as good as AMD's stuff".

Anyways i think I'll leave the people of AMDZone to go and w**k over their motherboards :lol: :lol:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2003, 07:15:54 PM »
Poster: meerschaum Date: 2003/6/24 11:25:31

snt just about the CPU its about many differant things... OSX,etc... the price offered by apple for a dual rig of that level of power is pretty good... a dual P4 Xeon is alot of money compared to apples dualie.

You may want to wait and see what the Athlon-64s are like first.  That and the Opteron's price should come back down to Earth as well which should have an impact on Intel's current pricing.  

Dammy

AmigaOne!  Roadkill on the Apple Highway!
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline AmigaSurf

• Show only replies by AmigaSurf
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2003, 08:07:16 PM »
Apple will continue to sell the G4 desktops for as long as there is demand, at $1299, directly from Apple.

I know, thats a small point, but they have the cheaper machines, for the budget people.

Still the extremely budget conscious will still have to with a PC.  (I'd say Amiga, but we don't have a budget machine either)

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2003, 08:26:16 PM »
A useful article to read regarding the validity of benchmarks:

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/2q99/benchmarking-1.html

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2003, 09:53:13 PM »
Doh! I posted in the wrong topic, the one with motorola. So I paste my thought here where I wanted in the first place :-D

---
So we should expect to see cheaper AmigaOnes and Pegasos in a while with the drop of price that G4 will have

An Amiga with a G4@1Ghz would be perfect for me :-)
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2003, 10:34:33 PM »
AMDzone:
"No one pays $2,000 to $3,000 for a desktop computer. "

Of course not.  It's not a desktop computer so much as a workstation.   :-)

I have to admit, the G5 is probably the first Mac tower I actually like.  It should definately have more drive bays, though.  That's the whole reason PC's are more cluttered, after all.  Nobody would buy a PC tower without extra drive bays.

I also wish it came with a better video card.  I mean, the ultra-high-end G5 only comes with a Radeon 9600 Pro, and the 9800 Pro is "$300 extra".

That's sort of like getting automatic transmission for "$1000 extra".  Remember, you're paying for the old graphics chip PLUS the new one.  Overall, the Mac 9800 Pro holds a $200 premium over the PC version.  Custom drivers can't be *that* expensive to make!

PCI-X is really nice, though.  I wish there were some S-ATA optical drives for the PC, too.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2003, 10:41:41 PM »
I have to admit, I like it too, probably the first time I've said that regarding a Mac as well.

'SATA optical drives'... que?  I know about Serial ATA, but optical?

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 25, 2003, 01:26:54 AM »
have to admit, the G5 is probably the first Mac tower I actually like.  It should definately have more drive bays, though.  That's the whole reason PC's are more cluttered, after all.  Nobody would buy a PC tower without extra drive bays.

I'm still not sure about the case, apple seems to be going all metalic at the moment (it was plastic/glass before).

At first I thought the same about the drive bays, but thinking about it why would you need them?  The superdrive does everything you'll pretty much ever need.  Still I suppose if you are paying that much, you'd want the option of more expandability.