Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 51207 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Ease off bashing Amiga x1000?
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;741622
The incessantly negative attitude of many on A.org has definitely driven away a number of good members. If you look on places like AW.net where it's a much more friendly forum for all flavours, you'll probably find a number of members who used to frequent here.

it's a tough balance, unfortunately. certainly people should be allowed to criticize developments they don't like, but i would hope at least coming from a constructive place. there is a difference between saying things like:

"the amigaone x1000 is way to expensive! and there are no drivers! no one in their right mind would buy this dreck."

... and:

"the amigaone x1000 is too expensive for me. maybe if the price point was under $1000, i could consider purchasing it. also, while i see some of the drivers have been finished, it's a shame that 3D support isn't there yet. i really would want to play 3D games on it if i bought it."

anyone see the difference? and then we get comments like "it sucks" which add nothing to the conversation. but mostly the issue isn't what is said, but why it is said and the fact that it is repeated in. every. single. thread. some folks don't care for the next-generation machines. ok, no problem. and some folks don't like AOS4. again, no problem. but if you're someone who hates both and keeps posting anything and everything negative about anything relating to either just because you think it makes your preferences look better, that's childish. and rude. and trolling.

and very, very off-putting. believe me: it does drive members away. :(

the mods do their best to keep things civil, and we ask that anytime you see something you think might violate amiga.org's terms of service, please, hit that report button. genuine (and constructive) criticism is not only fine, but welcome, but if you see trolling from the same usual suspects, try to ignore if you can and respond with positivity and civility. hopefully that will drive the trolls crazy enough to leave. heh.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
@thread

there are many good examples of genuine, well-considered criticism in this thread. good. that's healthy. there's also some trolling. that's not so good.

when you criticize, please use facts. also please avoid using insulting phrases like insinuating people who disagree with you are "drinking the kool-aid." oh, and making things up completely is not on.

but other than that, have at it. no one is trying to prevent opinions from being shared. just the trolling. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
@ciento

sorry about that. i didn't know you were joking. when you talked about fistfights and brawls at the show, i thought you were trying to serious suggest those things actually happened.

in the future a quick PM to me will solve the matter. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:52:59 AM »
Quote from: agami;742094
And how's that Xena "custom" chip working for y'all. Is it rocking your world? Is the community coming up with all sorts of amazing uses for it?
cheap, trolling comments like that are exactly what is not needed in a grown-up discussion. if you already know the answer to that question, and you know it's a sore point, then bringing it up deliberately to stir the pot is trolling.

don't do it again.

-- eliyahu