Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interview with Wayne Hunt  (Read 3238 times)

Description:

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Re: Interview with Wayne Hunt
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »
Quote from: JJ;521105
Getting married soon and can't wait.

Congrats on the pending nuptials.  Treat her like the queen she is, and all will be well.  Treat her like your buddy and reap the whirlwind..

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
Quote from: persia;521111
I was showing off my iPhone 3GS to folks last night and realised that I hadn't had that much enthusiasm for a tech toy since my Amiga 1000.  I think the market and the interest has moved.  Laptops are sooooooo 2007.....
Exactly.  I want a 3GS but can't afford the $400 upgrade fee, so I'll just wait until the 4G or whatever's coming..

For me, things like the 3G and netbooks, and little devices which hold more power than the Amiga ever did are the new thing.  I just wish I could figure out how to develop for the App Store to make a couple hundred grand.  :)

Is anyone selling an "idiots guide to iPhone programming" course out there (preferably video-based)?

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »
Quote from: toRus;521276
You must be joking. It's not even close.
Not even close to what?  He said his enthusiasm hadn't been that high since the A1000, he didn't compare the technology, but since you brought it up.
Code: [Select]
                           A4000     iPhone 3G
processor speed     25mhz     600mhz
memory                   1mb      128mb
storage                  various     8 or 16gb
The iPhone 3G, even before the GS is 600mhz, which is about 12x faster than even the fastest stock Amiga, and about on par with the mid-range G4 processor which costs as much as an iPhone itself.  The iPhone has more storage built into it than most Amigas could even handle without hd manipulation, and the software base is getting very close (if it hasn't already surpassed) to what the Amiga ever had to offer, at over 50,000 apps.

Granted, none of the iPhone apps are Toaster level apps, but frankly, anything I ever did on the Amiga now gets done on the iPhone, including games, file sharing, and even occasionally web site bug fixes on the fly.

Let's not even discuss the fact that the iPhone is 100% net compatible out of the box and the Amiga doesn't even have a legally available networking stack any longer.

... but....  All that being said, I'm not trying to bash the Amiga, and I'm definitely off topic.  I just couldn't help but addressing your post which somehow suggests (unless I misunderstood your intent) that the iPhone 3G was in some way technically inferior to the Amiga 1000.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//