Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Total Amiga Magazine to Cease Publication  (Read 3191 times)

Description:

Offline rhinoTopic starter

• Show only replies by rhino
    • http://www.totalamiga.org
Total Amiga Magazine to Cease Publication
« on: April 07, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
South Essex Amiga Link regrets to announce that our popular print Amiga magazine, Total Amiga, is to cease publication. Issue 26, which has just been completed, will be the final issue of the magazine and is due to be published on 23rd April 2007. The closure has come about because our editor and publisher, Robert Williams, has decided to step down after over eight years working on the magazine.

Total Amiga has built up a large and supportive readership so we want to ensure our subscribers continue to receive a quality Amiga magazine in English. To this end, SEAL have come to an agreement with the German magazine Amiga Future that they will fulfill outstanding Total Amiga subscriptions. To do this Amiga Future will launch a new English edition of their magazine in July 2007.

Amiga Future English will be a translated version of the current German Amiga Future. The magazine will be similar in format to Total Amiga with an A4 size, about 52 pages and colour covers. While Total Amiga is published approximately quarterly, Amiga Future English will be published six times a year at the same time as the German edition. For further information please visit the Amiga Future English web site. Amiga Future are looking for additional translators to assist with the production of the English edition, if you might be able to help please get in touch with them via their web site.

The transfer of subscriptions to Amiga Future will happen automatically; existing Total Amiga subscribers do not need to take any action.

We have enjoyed producing Total Amiga over the years and thank everyone who has contributed to the magazine in any way for their help. We would also like to thank everyone who has purchased or subscribed to Total Amiga for their support. If you are currently a subscriber, rest assured that we will do our utmost to ensure a smooth transition to Amiga Future. If you have any questions, we have added many questions and answers about the closure to our web site or feel free contact us (contact details are on the Total Amiga web site http://www.totalamiga.org).
Editor of Total Amiga Magazine
Author of AmiPodder, podcast receiver for the Amiga

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
Re: Total Amiga Magazine to Cease Publication
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :'(((((((

Robert, is there any way to keep you from doing this? Total Amiga is the best and only worth reading remaining Amiga magazine with its high quality content. Amiga Future is not even comparable :-\\\\ Come on, you can't just give up right now. You're not done yet!

Pleeeze, let this be a late April's fool!
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words about Total Amiga (and your great work on Poseidon).

Pleeeze, let this be a late April's fool!

I'm afraid it's true :-(

While I enjoy working on Total Amiga (most of the time at least), some changes coming up in my personal life mean I can't devote the time to it any more. Seeing as we already struggle to produce 4 magazines a year I felt the only other option would be for the magazine to fade away (less pages, less often as has happened to so may Amiga mags), and I didn't want that to happen.

Robert

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:23:42 PM »
Pssh.

For what it's worth, I'd do editing and typography for you, for free and I don't even get the mag.  :-(
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »
Why can't you just find a new editor?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
Weirdami,

That's what I was telling him??!??  *I* would do it!
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:14:40 PM »
Why can't you just find a new editor?

The "problem" we had is that I am more than just the editor of Total Amiga. On top of putting the magazine together I also write at least half of the articles, deal with the majority of the admin and organise the printing and distribution.

This is not to take away from the great help I get from others contributing to the magazine in various ways, but there is no overarching Total Amiga "organisation" for a new editor to step into.

Given these facts, we felt that handing subscribers over to a magazine like Amiga Future with an organisation in place and a proven track record of regularly producing a quality publication was the best bet.

Robert

Offline amigean

• Show only replies by amigean
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:47:47 AM »
Sad news indeed...

though I didn't subscribe, I did get hold of a couple of issues; they were really well put together, a wonderful read.

Best of luck in your future ventures Robert -  thanks for all your hard work for the community!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 06:13:46 AM »
Ah, crap. Just as I was about to renew my subscription as well :-(

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 07:07:02 AM »
Total bummer . . . :-(
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »
Hi Robert,

thanks for all the good time I spent with the Total Amiga mags. All the best for your future!

> While I enjoy working on Total Amiga (most of the time at least), some changes coming up in my personal life mean I can't devote the time to it any more.

Yeah, Amiga users get older, end up married and start families. And well, this is very good indeed :-) In case you're having a "new baby" now, congrats and a prosperous future.

Again thanks for the fine moments and your dedication and efforts towards the (Total) Amiga!
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:30:32 PM »
Oh no :(
This is not good.
Total Amiga was a great mag, it will be missed.
Im going to be very sad for the whole day now  :boohoo:  :boohoo:  :boohoo:

rhino: how many subscribers did it have by the end?

Offline amigakit

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »
Thank you Robert for your hard work and dedication over the years.  Total Amiga will be sorely missed.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline pault1

• Show only replies by pault1
    • http://www.calweb.com/~pault
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:24:39 AM »
Total Amiga has been of really high quality, better often than some of the "commercial" Amiga mags of the past.   :-D

I used to think that it was just the fact that I subscribed that would kill an Amiga mag, since so many of them died while I was a subscriber.  But it may just be that they all were going to die and I was subscribing to too many....  I always felt it was better once I'd read it from the newstand for a few months, to give them my money direct which generally meant that they got better profit than the newstands returned.

I've done many newsletters and none were even of the order of magnitude of Total Amiga, so I can't imagine the amount of work that it was to carry it.  A job very well done, thanks, and I'll hope that the Future translation team can get it together.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 07:23:25 AM »
Sad to hear this.

Oh well, I hope at least this means that all the back issues will be made available for download...