Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New (?) Mini mac pics  (Read 10625 times)

Description:

Offline Desolator

• Show all replies
Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:21:46 PM »
Take a look here too..

http://www.apple.com/macmini/
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Another thing that threathens my A1 purchase.. :D
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline Desolator

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 08:54:28 PM »
As both an Amiga user and a Mac user, I must say that I like Apple's products. They got some sort of Amiga feel over them (although some people sees them as the enemy, but any company that produces a great, working OS with Workbench references looks good in my eyes.)

So if anyone is considering getting a easy-to-use computer for their parents or relatives or themselves (nah, we love our Amigas. :)) that has to have programs of modern standard, try this one out.

Offline Desolator

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:05:01 AM »
Something you could set the record straight for me on is just how much RAM does OS X like to have so the OS isn't paging to the hard drive all of the time..

256MB. But that's with the whole whazzam of the Quartz graphics engine on the desktop. Still it's not slow and multitasking works just great. A little application can turn of all the eyecandy (like the shadows etc) and then you are down on memory usage under 100MB.

But different to lets say a Windows machine, adding memory to a mac actually speed things up drastically. I could barely run UnrealTournament 2004, Neverwinter nights (with all expansions) and Warcraft III on my iBook G4/800, but after plunking in a stick of 512MB RAM all of those games are VERY playable. And all are run on a 800MHz processor and one "crappy" 9200 card with 32MB RAM.

What you fail to see is that OS X doesn't do things the way Windows does, and thus can run 3D games at lower specced hardware, and ofcourse on PPC.
So don't be so quick to bash the hardware, don't underestimate what these machines can do before you've tried them out thoroughly yourself.

Offline Desolator

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »
The games mentioned don’t quite stress the modern DX9 PC systems e.g. UT2003's boxed requirements 733Mhz Athlon or 1Ghz Pentium III, 32MB Video Card and 256MB of RAM. My down clocked A64 @800Mhz (via forced PowerNow) plays those games pretty well (when not searching for crazy FPS and resolutions). They are hardly the next generation DX9c class games.

True, but then again the macintosh isn't really a gaming machine. It won't run games like FarCry but still it runs most mainstream games good enough.