Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!  (Read 14368 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!
« on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;589135
I can't see how they will fit all the things from just a 3.1 level kickstart without using tricks that the 4000T used, like moving Workbench.library to disk. That compiled C code will be bigger in almost every case.

Most of AmigaOS 3.1 is written in C. dos.library was written in BCPL up to 1.3 & converted to C for 2.0 (or even 1.4 beta?)

IIRC they used several compilers, one being lattice. Which turned into SAS/C. Back in the gcc 2.95 days I did some benchmarks and the software I tried was quicker with gcc than SAS/C.

There are many factors that will influence how large/fast AROS68K runs. It's far too early to even contemplate what it will be like.

However CD32/A1200's can have 1mb kickstart, A500/A2000's needs wires added. No idea about A3000/A4000...

Offline psxphill

Re: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;589279
You can still make money with a GPL license. And it would really look more professional and legitimate to allow an object third party to say what the conditions are.

Selling:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

You're allowed to make money by selling GPL software, that doesn't mean you can make money by selling it. Your first customer can give the source to whoever they want, they can even sell it.

GPL is like a parasite. It infiltrates every part of a system while keeping it alive. It seems to work for some software, but only where there is no possible business model & the programmers are prepared to do the work for free.