Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology  (Read 10953 times)

Description:

Offline broadblues

Re: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology
« on: October 27, 2015, 11:21:46 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;798197
this press release is a little vague to attract anyone...

what projects are open, what conditions are offered, what contracts have to be signed? Most devs left have projects and are active on different platforms. Forcing them only to develop for AOS in future is certainly not interesting to them

Where is anyone being forced to only work on AOS?

Offline broadblues

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:02:12 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;798200
Thomas Richter has told that... he is not allowed to do anything on Aros 68k because of signed contract

I think he stated in the forums here that he *prefers* not to work on AROS so as to avoid risk on contamination, maybe I misread that though, but that has nothing todo withe the current request for developers by A-Eon.

The only limits in the NDA I signed were on usage and sharing of company confidential info  and their copyrighted software.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;798300
Not only that but the examples are updated to 4.x while the former examples are not available anymore...
Kamelito

It's a wiki so whilst the articles may be updated to show 'modern practice' the older versions are still there in th history.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »
Let us take PPaint as an example, it costs perhaps 20 euros, which is not much. But it is locked down, we can not make changes to it, we can not have a go porting it to AROS (or MorphOS for that matter). Instead we are at the mercy of BroadBlues, who like the rest of us, I am sure is also busy with "real life".

A-Eon has the src not me. If you want to code on it apply for a job. The NDA just protects their copyright. It is after all not open src but commercialo software.

I'm busy coding on other A-Eon projects as well as "real life" but I'm sure more work on ppiant will follow.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:39:32 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;798333
Not practical at all in my opinion, and how do you know which historic version equal latest finished Classic version vs broken or incomplete one?
It'll be a lot easier if you could choose Classic or NG and then browse from here.

Kamelito

I didn't say it was practical, just that it wasn't lost and is still accessable, allbeit awkardly.

I agree that it's not ideal if you are looking for Classic info.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;798446
Further development of AmigaOS 3.X?
AmigaOS 4.1 68K?

Hmm, the first can't be done (unless you ask Cloanto), and the second is unlikely as it would undercut Hyperion's PPC product.

Hyperion could do it if they wanted, though I really doubt they do.

It wouldn't solve anything though, as you would still get loads on non upgraders and grumbled at for not back porting your software, even though makes use of the new and cool things that come along in a growing (even if slower than we;d like) OS.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:39:17 PM by broadblues »

Offline broadblues

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »
Quote from: kolla;799383
Well - I see many.

Firstly, Amiga is not "software industry", it is recreational programming.

Secondly, any dispute over NDAs is a lose-lose scenario, so why bother?

Thirdly, by tricking developers to sign "secret NDAs", A-EON may prevent these developers from working with both AROS and MorphOS - but maybe that is actually the plan, who knows.

Having signed the NDA I can tell you it says no such thing.  It simply says I can't use the various a-eon ip in external products and that I can't talk about what software is going on behind the scenes. It doesn't prevet me from writing my own software (subject to not using the IP ofcourse) and it doesn't prevent me from writing for any OS.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »
Quote from: kolla;799385
Yes we do, because "content is king" and "content" these days is _vastly_ larger than it used to be. And it is not going to shrink any time soon, so the only deal for hardware and operating systems to remain usable, is to handle it.

Absolutly!

Offline broadblues

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »
Quote from: kolla;799389
Hm, it was dropped? I still see lots of P96 stuff in OS4.1FE Classic.

Since FE (or more strictly graphics.library version 54) the functionality has moved inside graphics.library so p96 no longer patchs graphics.library rather the p96API is a wrapper to Gfx functions.

So you will still see the external files, the innards have changed.