Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology  (Read 10949 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology
« on: October 27, 2015, 07:32:05 PM »
Quote from: olsen;798206
No, the developer documentation (http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/DeveloperDoc:Main) covers everything there has ever been.

The text is based upon the 3rd edition RKM manuscripts which yours truly converted to LaTeX2e format more than ten years ago. The illustrations were coverted from the original files, and re-created where these were missing. Everything was reworked and revised by Steven Solie and numerous developers over the years.

It is basically a much nicer version of the RKM text which is found on the Amiga Developer CD 2.1, which was converted from the AmigaGuide version of the 1992 RKM text.

Some "bug fixes" are included in this developer documentation, too. Which reminds me that I never got around to fix the "audio.device" documention. The text consistently gets the stereo channel allocation bit definitions wrong.

Any chance of a new set of RKM's being published? Even a print on demand edition from somewhere like lulu,com would be nice.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;798223
Already done! Just look at the wiki site...bottom left for printing options!
At the AmiWest2015 Devcon, one attendee brought his printed rkm to show and tell.

Either i'm stupid (highly likely!) or this feature isn't as great as I first thought.

Each small section of the wiki has to be exported separately as a PDF or added section by section to the book creator wizard before exporting and printing.

Would be nice to just go to lulu.com, click buy and then receive several hefty manuals in the post. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »
Quote from: olsen;798252
I think that this ship sailed long ago :(

While I could dust off the LaTeX2e versions of the manuscript which I had worked on and crank out a PDF version of each, none of them are in their best possible shape (I would settle for "good enough", though). The illustrations are incomplete, for a start. The page breaks and the formatting are unpolished and look wonky. Readability should be better.

You do remember that the 3rd edition RKMs are each the size of a small or medium phone book?

Yep. ;)

Nobody publishes software development documentation like that any more.

Sadly.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 12:33:49 AM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;798343
@Nicholas

Nice bookshelf.
The only thing that seems missing is the old K&R C book, but perhaps I am showing my age. :)

Thanks Lyle. Don't worry, it's a few shelves below with all the other religious texts. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »
Quote from: number6;798639
@thread

Just a matter of general curiosity, once again based on my trying to apply what I believe to be "logic" to the situation...

Considering:

(1)Amistore is the principal source of income for s/w

Why is there not a push to install Amistore as part of default install for the OS?

A-Eon don't own the OS.

If I owned the OS would only consider providing it as part of the default install if A-Eon paid me a huge up front sum, which would reccur yearly and also a minimum of a 60/40 split of any profits from sales. The 60% being my cut.

Wouldn't you?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;798651
Why should A-eon pay a huge sum?

A-eon develops and sells the hardware and pays for the OS licenses. Normally they can simply preinstall the OS and the store with the hardware. The same for Acube. You think of Apple but Apple both develops and sells hardware and the OS.

A-Eon pre-installing it on any hardware they sell is a custom install. A default install is what you get after installing the OS from Hyperion's installation media.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Quote from: fjudde;798659
No, I would not!

Hyperion/OS4 And A-EON/Acube live in symbiosis with each other. If software (OS4) is sold hardware is sold (Exception: OS4 Classic and Pegasos 2). If Hardware is sold software (OS4) is sold.

You could say Win-Win situation. But I don't think there is any profit. So it's more like trying to keep the loss to a minimum.

And of-course they need us to buy there stuff ;-)

Edit: Acube might have the embedded market to fall back on? I don't know.
Edit2: Forgot Pegasos 2

So Hyperion should force their customers to install software written by a third party with no financial recompense for Hyperion purely so this third party can make money from Hyperions customers?

You'd better write to Ben Hermans immediately pointing out the error of his ways! :roflmao:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
Quote from: number6;798663
While I completely understand your point, I think the argument also exists about applications being a big part of the user experience that they associate with the OS. Would not releasing an operating system while also pointing out that apps exist for said operating system be good PR for Hyperion?
I've heard the term symbiotic before in relation to this, but perhaps that's not how Hyperion sees it. Perhaps you're correct and they see it as infringement, and something for which they should be compensated. *shrug*

Money talks and Hyperion is running a business afterall.  Perhaps there will be an offical AmigaStore app included by default in a future release of OS4 that is run by Hyperion for its own profit?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:33 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;798667
You misspelled pyramid scheme ;)

:lol:

I was being generous to them for once. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
Quote from: fjudde;798670
I don't understand you, I never said that hyperion should force OS4 users to install third party software?

Anything installed by default is "forced". Bad choice of word perhaps.