Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology  (Read 10944 times)

Description:

Offline olsen

Re: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;798158
This wiki is about AmigaOS 4.x so a 3.x one is needed, maybe they should ask for the right to put the developer cd 2.1 online.

Kamelito
No, the developer documentation (http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/DeveloperDoc:Main) covers everything there has ever been.

The text is based upon the 3rd edition RKM manuscripts which yours truly converted to LaTeX2e format more than ten years ago. The illustrations were coverted from the original files, and re-created where these were missing. Everything was reworked and revised by Steven Solie and numerous developers over the years.

It is basically a much nicer version of the RKM text which is found on the Amiga Developer CD 2.1, which was converted from the AmigaGuide version of the 1992 RKM text.

Some "bug fixes" are included in this developer documentation, too. Which reminds me that I never got around to fix the "audio.device" documention. The text consistently gets the stereo channel allocation bit definitions wrong.

Offline olsen

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;798218
@Olsen

it means then that the intro is misleading "Introduction
The AmigaOS Documentation Wiki provides the latest information on how to program systems running AmigaOS 4.x."

Kamelito
Yes, it is misleading. As such it promotes the product Hyperion is selling, so the fact that the whole technology stack (Amiga operating system versions going back to 1985) upon which AmigaOS 4 sits is covered is not the first priority.

There is definitely room for improvement. For example, I would expect the developer documentation to show up more prominently. It seems that only few visitors expected the full RKM text (3rd edition "RKM Hardware" excluded) to be behind the link on the front page.

Offline olsen

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;798220
Any chance of a new set of RKM's being published? Even a print on demand edition from somewhere like lulu,com would be nice.
I think that this ship sailed long ago :(

While I could dust off the LaTeX2e versions of the manuscript which I had worked on and crank out a PDF version of each, none of them are in their best possible shape (I would settle for "good enough", though). The illustrations are incomplete, for a start. The page breaks and the formatting are unpolished and look wonky. Readability should be better.

You do remember that the 3rd edition RKMs are each the size of a small or medium phone book? Nobody publishes software development documentation like that any more.

Offline olsen

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;798300
Not only that but the examples are updated to 4.x while the former examples are not available anymore...
Kamelito
Yikes, so much for archival purposes. The RKM companion archive, which contains all the source code, should still be on Aminet. I get a feeling that the Amiga Developer CD 2.1 contents ought to be made available legally again.