Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology  (Read 10959 times)

Description:

Offline kamelito

Re: Call for Amiga Developers from A-EON Technology
« on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;798156
This wiki has been available for ages...

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Main_Page

enjoy

This wiki is about AmigaOS 4.x so a 3.x one is needed, maybe they should ask for the right to put the developer cd 2.1 online.

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
Trevor in his speech says " 14 developers engaged under NDA..." Which is common in the software industry so I see no problem here.
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
the content of the NDA should be public if not well how can a developer knows if he want to go further or not?
So it should be included in their site except if there is a NDA about the NDA...

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
@Olsen

it means then that the intro is misleading "Introduction
The AmigaOS Documentation Wiki provides the latest information on how to program systems running AmigaOS 4.x."

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:10:42 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;798245
Not wanting to create even further confusion but....

The call for developers covers all Amiga flavours. The wiki referred to in the A-EON news release is the A-EON specific developer wiki not the excellent AmigaOS 4 wiki.  The A-EON wiki is for developers working our specific 68k and PowerPC applications.

TrevorD

When you write "The A-EON wiki is for developers working our specific 68k and PowerPC applications." does it means that developers who are working on their own apps published in in your store won't have access to the wiki?

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
Quote from: olsen;798251
Yes, it is misleading. As such it promotes the product Hyperion is selling, so the fact that the whole technology stack (Amiga operating system versions going back to 1985) upon which AmigaOS 4 sits is covered is not the first priority.

There is definitely room for improvement. For example, I would expect the developer documentation to show up more prominently. It seems that only few visitors expected the full RKM text (3rd edition "RKM Hardware" excluded) to be behind the link on the front page.

Not only that but the examples are updated to 4.x while the former examples are not available anymore...
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;798324
It's a wiki so whilst the articles may be updated to show 'modern practice' the older versions are still there in th history.

Not practical at all in my opinion, and how do you know which historic version equal latest finished Classic version vs broken or incomplete one?
It'll be a lot easier if you could choose Classic or NG and then browse from here.

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
Quote from: broadblues;798340
I didn't say it was practical, just that it wasn't lost and is still accessable, allbeit awkardly.

I agree that it's not ideal if you are looking for Classic info.

A-EON is calling for Amiga developers and classics more than NG so I guess they  should have the same experience while looking for information not less not more.
I know that the wiki come for Hyperion and not A-EON.
Kamelito
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:33:36 AM by kamelito »

Offline kamelito

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;798382
From the front page, "This is the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki. Here we collect all information for users and developers of AmigaOS version 4.0 and beyond."

If you want material prior to version 4 of AmigaOS then you will likely need to talk to Cloanto. Cloanto has been buying up all the rights to previous versions of AmigaOS and Michael is very interested in preservation. Michael has been pushing the preservation idea at every single Amiga 30th event this year so I'm surprised you guys missed that.

That is exactly what I wrote then Olsen and Broadblues says otherwise and then clarified.
I'm not complaining, I just think that Classics programmers need proper docs too as for Cloanto for now I just saw them as money makers around Emulation. Preserving stuff is one thing sharing them another.

IIRC the 3rd edition do not cover 3.x stuff a Classic wiki could be updated this way.
Kamelito
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:51:19 PM by kamelito »

Offline kamelito

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;798642
@number6

indeed. i asked this to ssolie at amiwest myself. i hope A-EON and hyperion can work something out. we already have a terrific update system integrated into the default install. it'd be wonderful to also be able to go to the 'Workbench' menu and select 'Store...' as well. at least IMO.

@dschallock

if i recall correctly matthew has been working on an AOS3 build of amistore for some time. where exactly it is in terms of status, i have no idea.

-- eliyahu

Of all Classics users how many do have Internet on their system? It is good for UAE but for classics some sort of gateway should be found or they should bundle it with an Ethernet board.
Kamelito