Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?  (Read 3595 times)

Description:

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
Re: Graphic Advventure - Dying Game Genre?
« on: March 26, 2003, 12:00:40 AM »
Fellas, if Cinemaware[/url] make their long awaited comeback as expected. Then graphical adventures ala It came from the Desert will make it back, and with the added bonus of a once mighty Amiga games company at the helm.

Cinemaware are already selling all their old classics on the GBA platform. So its only a matter of time now.

I also think that the graphical adventure has crossed over into other genres as gfx have improved. Gfx nowadays are detailed enough to allow for greater interactions ala the RPG titles like Interplays Fallout series.

Also, you can say that even more recent space sims like Freelancer, have the immersive role playing element that early graphical adventures strived to achieve. MAFIA, for instance was attempted by Cinemaware's King of Chicago, the only difference being about 10 years of h/w development. But their aim of creating an immersive world was the same.

So if anything, games have evolved to incorporate a little of everything that wasn't possible before.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 11:36:45 PM »

ottomobiehl wrote:
Well, I have never actually owned a C64, I was (and still am) an Amstrad CPC freak.

I am ok with people who enjoyed (and still enjoy) the 8-bit computers of the day.  In my mind all us are kindred spirits be it C=64, Amstrade, Apple 8-bit familey, etc.  I still have my C=64 and play with it every now and then.

I believe the limitation of the systems back then forced a lot of game developers to be creative with gameplay and storys so games back then had a lot of personality. :-)

Of course with such a talented pool of game developers the Amiga came out at the right time to combine the better (superior?) graphics with exellent game development.  I think that is why the Amiga holds a soft spot in my heart and probably a lot of other peoples hearts too.

Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.  Thank you. :-D

I completely agree with you. The Amiga came out just at the time when good game concepts were being thrown around. Cinemawares - It came from the Desert and the venerable Street Rod series and who could forget the novel Populous series

You might say that Amiga, was one of the last true gaming computers. Just like the C64, or the Spectrum. Nowadays PeeCees are but a mere shadow of the computer gaming platforms of yesteryear - they are reconditioned typewriters from the 70s. And to make matters worse, even the consoles are lacklustre by comparison.

Were has the creativity gone? The originality, the ability to create engrossing game universes. Were is the Elite of the 21st century? I'll tell you were, dead and buried under the hundreds of has been titles like Tombraider, who helped create this 3D genre for games - to our detriment mind you.

Occassionaly there is a glimmer of hope, when games like Grim Fandango came out. Or Fallout by Interplay. Or perhaps the Jagged Alliance series by Talonsoft, or the masterful and abandoned FreeSpace series by Volition. Now they are few and far between. Which is why we are all hoping for a new renaissance, ushered in with the help of the A1/OS4 platform.

Unfortunately all we can do is cross our fingers and hope.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 06:54:17 AM »

Hammer wrote:
Were is the Elite of the 21st century?

IF you want Elite style game play refer to
1. "X2- The Threat",
+ Developer: Egosoft,
+ Plan release date: 3rd/4th Quater 2003.

2. Freelancer
+ Developer: Microsoft Game Studios

I've played Freelancer, and its more akin to Privateer than Elite. The closest thing I have seen to Elite, is 1995? game titled First Encounters I think it was an unofficial sequel to Elite II?

Anyway, there hasn't been a proper space sim made, that captures the same character of the venerable Elite. Where the hell is the manual planet to planet navigation? Or being able to target every celestial object in the solar system? Or being able to explore the entire galaxy? (Countless star systems and not the 20 or so in Freelancer) Or the freedom of landing in any city on Earth or space station?

Where, where, WHERE?!??!?

All this magnificent technology? The new OpenGL 2.0 standard, DX9 h/w and no innovation whatsoever. Why have all these new features if you don't find creative uses for them? And just churn out more cookie cutter FPS, RTS, RPGs!