Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Natami on Wikipedia nominated for Deletion  (Read 4089 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Natami on Wikipedia nominated for Deletion
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Natami exists every bit as much as the X1000 and FPGAArcade, lol.  Don't see anyone screaming about the X1000's wiki entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
Maybe I'll mark the A-Eon X1000 page for deletion.  Any project who's net goal is 250 machines is a personal project not worthy of a wiki page.  As I said in another post when I had a computer shop I turned out a few thousand PC with my own brand on them.  I'm not alone, I think virtually every corner computer shop that ever existed in Australia sold more than 250 units.  Should they all have a wiki page?

Heck one of my competitors Faranack produced a few thousand PCs in Sydney, ended up with a lot of angry customers, ran away to Lismore and sold another few thousand under a different brand name.  Now he deserves a wiki page!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
Quote from: persia;644502
Heck one of my competitors Faranack produced a few thousand PCs in Sydney, ended up with a lot of angry customers, ran away to Lismore and sold another few thousand under a different brand name.  Now he deserves a wiki page!

Actually, that sounds like an interesting story.
I'd probably ready that, and I would think that that people who got ripped off might enjoy seeing the owners story there for all to read..

You should do that..

And as for all the small owners, why shouldn't that information be there.
It's not like Wikipedia has a limited number of entries it can have.
I can see someone saying "what was the name of that shop I bought the semi-custom PC from back in the 80'?"  
That also sounds like a good idea..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »
Quote from: JimS;644463
I'm with Franko on this one... Wikipedia is fun, but it's hardly a source of Truth.

Case in point:

"Hyperion Entertainment was founded in February 2009 after a Belgian lawyer called Benjamin Hermans wondered why no one had ever tried to license PC games to do Amiga ports."

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Entertainment)

2009 ? Really?

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »
Quote from: Lando;644516
Case in point:

"Hyperion Entertainment was founded in February 2009 after a Belgian lawyer called Benjamin Hermans wondered why no one had ever tried to license PC games to do Amiga ports."

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Entertainment)

2009 ? Really?

WOW... when I bought OS4.0 back in 2006 (I think it was) from Hyperion Entertainment I must have imagined it, as we all know Wiki is the source of all facts & truthful knowledge... :lol:

Must have been using this when I bought it... :D
[youtube]76tiTXxjLdA[/youtube]

Offline LordSpunky

• Show only replies by LordSpunky
    • http://www.tristancobb.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
I hate the Wiki police! They think nothing is real or worthy unless it has been in a newspaper or on TV! My very own fan (yup I have one, only one) write a Wiki article about my band a couple years back and they deleted it because I'd only sold 10 albums, 5 of them were turned into coasters. But that isn't the bloody point!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Main Two Systems:
Commodore Amiga 4000D - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1/5/9 / 2MB ChipRAM / 16MB FastRAM / Cyberstorm2 68040 @40MHz, 128MB FastRAM / Picasso MKIV / 4GB CF-IDE HDD / X-Surf 100 & RapidRoad / CD-ROM
Amiga Inc. Amiga 1200 - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1 / 2MB ChipRAM / 8MB FastRAM / 4GB CF-IDE HDD

Commodore
Pet 4016-N / C-VIC20 x3 / C-64 x3 / C-64C x3 / C128 x2 / C16 / C-Plus/4
Commodore Amiga
A1000 / A500 x5 / A500 Plus / A600 x5 / A1200 x4 / A1500 x2 / CD32 / CDTV

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 01:22:44 AM »
Quote from: desiv;644485
Except it does exist as a prototype.
There are boards and it is working, at least in some state..
So, while it doesn't exist as a buyable product, it does exist, which is many steps farther than your "dream" product...

I'm not saying it does or doesn't belong in WikiP, but it's not a dream...

desiv

Hi,

OK, prove it, how do you know that they are showing a working prototype, maybe it is just some old board that they have laying around that they are showing, the real working machine is the Amiga set up in back of the table (you know just like they said about the X1000). Oh they have a utubby on it, probably faked with photo shop.

I say it should go, it is a false advertisement of something not yet available.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:01 AM »
Hi Smerf... :)

Weeeell... seing as were going down that road then how do we know that's a real pancake on that rabbits napper (could be faked with ImageFX)... :)

So I say it should go and bring back the cute wee Guinea Pig instead cos there's noooo way that was faked in fact I think it was actually a piccy of your goodself after a few too many Jack Daniels... :)

Cheers

Franko

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
Quote from: smerf;644558
OK, prove it

There are some things that can't be proved..
And some people who won't believe proof..

I choose to believe the vids.
I think they are proof.  You don't.

Oh well

Have a good one..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline smerf

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 03:36:05 AM »
Quote from: Franko;644517
WOW... when I bought OS4.0 back in 2006 (I think it was) from Hyperion Entertainment I must have imagined it, as we all know Wiki is the source of all facts & truthful knowledge... :lol:

Must have been using this when I bought it... :D
[youtube]76tiTXxjLdA[/youtube]

Hi,

Been hitting the Meds a wee bit hard haven't we?

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 03:38:17 AM »
Quote from: desiv;644562
There are some things that can't be proved..
And some people who won't believe proof..

I choose to believe the vids.
I think they are proof.  You don't.

Oh well

Have a good one..

desiv

Hi,

I just love being a devils advocate.

smerf

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:51 AM »
I would agree with most that Wikipedia should not be seen as the fountain of knowledge that some people seem to hold it to. However the Natami article does seem to have some partially useful information on it. As apposed to something like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_USA

If the project goes belly up then the Wiki article maybe the only thing left to tell the tail that it even existsed. So why shouldn't it be left on?

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:55 AM »
Quote from: Franko;644447
How the frig is Wicki an encyclopaedia !!! :confused:

Some pages may contain some facts but plenty of others seem to be nothing more then some anonymous numpties opinons.... :rolleyes:

... and I suppose keeping low-quality articles about non-existant hardware that can't cite any reputable sources will help in this regard. Right? I'm not trying to deride Natami here, but there simply isn't much that can be said about it in terms of matters of fact.

Even stuff quoted from some big manufacturers contain BS that contradicts each other, talking about pages like where they can't even agree on how to calculate how big a Gigabyte or Terabyte is when it comes to HDs used on an Apple or a PC... :confused:

That's because different computer systems calculate drive/RAM sizes differently. It has nothing to do with the quality of wikipedia, and I can't really see why you would think otherwise. This matter is detailed in the "gigabyte" article, a well-cited and informative article on the subject. On wikipedia.

Wiki may be useful for some things but at the end of the day it's like 90% of stuff on the net ie: mostly opinions slanted in favour of the author... ;)

Unlike most places on the web, though, you are expected to cite sources when making claims of fact. When people don't, you can edit the articles yourself. I find myself adding [citation needed] to stuff every day, and even that passive kind of editing style actually helps improving the quality of the site.

Anyone who thinks that half the crap they read on the net is the gospel truth and the ultimate answer to their questions needs to put against the wall and shot... :)

I agree, but you should know that wikipedia doesn't simply make itself. It is the responsibility of its users. As with anything, even outside the web (believe it or not :)), if you want the facts straight, there's an effort involved, and you have to critically analyze any information which you might come to rely on. I have often found that the quality of wikipedia surpasses other media, printed, broadcasted, anything... Any fact dispute is open to the public, and if you find anything dubious, you can make the changes yourself or open a dispute, and you'll often find that others have done so already.

Short story: Wikipedia is not a replacement for critical thinking and research, but it is often half-way there, which is a lot further than most printed encyclopedias.

Offline Linde

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;644612
However the Natami article does seem to have some partially useful information on it.  
Whether useful or not, if there's little to nothing to support the factuality of the information, it has no place in an encyclopedia. I can't believe this attitude. It's not a scrap book for whatever useful information you can think of, unless you can find multiple sources to support the factuality and notability of it.

As apposed to something like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_USA
- It cites independent sources.
- Even so, its notability is (understandably) disputed, which is mentioned at the top of the article for all to see to be able to make their own decisions.
I think that it's a good example of why wikipedia is such a great concept.

If the project goes belly up then the Wiki article maybe the only thing left to tell the tail that it even existsed. So why shouldn't it be left on?
Then you'll just have to find another site to use as an archeological resource. Wikipedia, primarily, is NOT.

What I really don't understand is that whenever group X or subculture Y has their favorite article on obscure subject Z, relevant only to them deleted, they automatically see it as a personal insult. Are people really so far up in themselves that they can't assume a somewhat objective stance on these things?

BTW, I noticed that some of you complained about the Hyperion article, but none of you bothered to make the change. You are complaining about something that so obviously is a community effort (where everyone's invited) without lifting a finger to fix even a simple typo yourselves.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:23:37 AM by Linde »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »
There must be 100s of millions of articles in Wikipedia.  How can you mark something for deletion based on lack of notoriety when that's what Wikipedia does.  Double edged sword that one.

Offline Linde

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 13, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;644688
There must be 100s of millions of articles in Wikipedia.  How can you mark something for deletion based on lack of notoriety when that's what Wikipedia does.  Double edged sword that one.

If you think that an article isn't notable enough, go ahead and mark it as such. You are free to contest (or, boldly, just remove) any information that might seem redundant or irrelevant. I have done so (successfully) many times. You should read the notability guideline, which lists many cases under which both the CUSA and Natami articles fall.

I don't understand the likening to a double edged sword in this case. I can only see it as the result of a biased and unfounded us-against-them mentality, combined with a complete ignorance to how wikipedia works and even what it is supposed to be.