Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60403 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;577660

I do not have a OS4.1 system of my own, but from what I have seen of OS4.1 it has lost much of its amiga soul.  It feels much like a PPC linux distro.  but certainly I would defer to all of you with an OS4.1 systems.

What will the aeon X1000 do to make it an "amiga"? run OS 4.1?  and are you willing to pay a possible $1000+ USD for it?  

The X1000 is using 5 year old technology but costing $2000-2500+ USD based on £1500+ price estimate.

However OS X is just a very well designed GUI on a version of UNIX, there is no shame in OS 4 achieving the same....shame the hardware just isn't there because nobody [with some capital] had the brains to telephone IBM and ask them to aid in the design of a 3.2Ghz PPC compatible Xenon CPU they manufacture for peanuts in quantities now totalling over 50 million to date ;)

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »
Quote from: persia;577649
Android tablets are likely to be the hot items this Christmas season.    There's dozens of them in the pipelines...

Google have put the Kybosh on that for now, no official update to Android is expected to allow for larger [than mobile phone] resolutions for an iPad rival. So......... Google's stupidity is now into 3

Chrome OS GUI (what where they thinking?!?!?!!? )
Dodgy silent/mandatory updates to Chrome Browser (leave the damn thing alone!)
Not pushing Android Tablets with every last cent they have!

So maybe now this is the 3rd bit of bad news they might start acting like the class act of old :)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
dupe.. remove

Offline zeke1312

• Show only replies by zeke1312
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 03:58:20 AM »
Where *is* the Commodore 64?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 04:07:22 AM »
It's on schedule and rocking!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 04:31:07 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;641829
It's on schedule and rocking!

What a remarkable non-answer!
Where is it again?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 05:00:40 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;641832
What a remarkable non-answer!
Where is it again?
That was a joke, my friend.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2011, 05:47:43 AM »
Quote from: zeke1312;641826
Where *is* the Commodore 64?

Hoping to have pictures this weekend.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;577567
Now there's a couple of good questions. I've been trying to think of them myself without getting blindsided by my own sentiment.
First, no the company does not have a lot of employees (but then neither does A-eon). Altman's other business does have a large warehouse, office space, and employees to help move stock.
At this point, I don't think he needs that many people.
He is interested in AROS, and must have tried it since he mentioned that sound doesn't work properly on his current system.
He also asked my how long I thought it would take to get AROS up to the level where it could be sold in a commercial product. That question's difficult to answer. I'm not comfortable with the idea, since I feel that selling AROS in its current state might lead to product returns.
Altman does seem interested in seeing AROS move forward. I think he's a little  wary since he approached one developer about the sound drivers and was quoted a pretty large sum.
But if whomever is in charge in the AROS project were to contact him, they could probably establish a relationship.

Now, as to the one post that stated that Winboxes could do want they wanted. If you can't do it under Windows, what platform can you do it under? And what is IT?

Actually that recount of the sound driver debacle reads more like a cleaned up version of events. Firstly they where asked something like $1500 (I cant recall exact figure) for uncompromised use of the drivers. Seems kinda reasonable to me for something to be used in a commercial product. From here there was a lot of ridiculous behavior and complaints (which seems stupid to me,... in business if you want something its reasonable you pay a small fee for rights to use it). Prior to this ClusterUK (the man who actually *did* pay to have them created) had kept them exclusive to iMica for commercial purposes with the exception (unless Im mistaken) of Aresones, and phoenixkonsole also contributed money to use them there. After C-USA carried on like pork chops over it for a while ClusterUK realised nothing was to become of it so instead offered them up to the community for a sum. Ironically despite complaining about haveing to pay the initial amount they ended up contributing *nothing* when they had the opportunity to use the drivers for much cheaper and instead the community paid for them.

Not hugely important, but I couldnt help but to tell the story as it actually was, not the after-the-fact re-telling.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
Why is this in AMIGA General Chat?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
Quote from: dammy;641838
Hoping to have pictures this weekend.

Two months after the official launch and you're hoping to have pictures?

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
Quote from: persia;641880
Why is this in AMIGA General Chat?

Awe gawd, this one must've slipped through the spam filter... :(

It's been so nice & quite since Barry boy was last here telling us to await for his announcement on Friday The 13th of April that came and went without a word, I was hoping they were all dead and buried and gone the way of the dodo... :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
Yes and in 3 or 4 more months he'll have a new scheduled shipping date.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
Quote from: mongo;641898
Two months after the official launch and you're hoping to have pictures?

Pictures of the production line in action, yes.  Leo has said there would be a new video out this month and I would assume it would be of the actual C64x production line.  The new C=USA facility (offices, order customization, and R&D section) was rented and remodeled over last weekend, so we may also see pics of that as well.  This may prove to be an interesting weekend.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
Quote from: dammy;641927
Pictures of the production line in action, yes.  Leo has said there would be a new video out this month and I would assume it would be of the actual C64x production line.  The new C=USA facility (offices, order customization, and R&D section) was rented and remodeled over last weekend, so we may also see pics of that as well.  This may prove to be an interesting weekend.

Nice company that works only at the weekends. No wonder it took them so long to remodel a computer designed 30 years ago, without a CAD system.

On the contrary working only at the weekends is nice if you want to play with your Amigas in the weekdays. Where one can apply for a job at CUSA? Only if they had anything to do with the Amiga.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #89 from previous page: June 02, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;641931
On the contrary working only at the weekends is nice if you want to play with your Amigas in the weekdays. Where one can apply for a job at CUSA? Only if they had anything to do with the Amiga.
Oh, it's quite simple. All you have to do is buy a computer, and it comes with a free CTO position!