Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Phase 5 Digital Products comeback?  (Read 5681 times)

Description:

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
Re: Edge Connectors
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 07:29:20 PM »
Quote from: skolman;814410

http://phytec.com/products/system-on-modules/phycore/mpc5200b-io/

http://obligement.free.fr/articles/vampire600.php

Creating a turbo with an existing cpu should be less work then creating a new one ;)
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline jack-3d

• Show only replies by jack-3d
Re: Phase 5 Digital Products comeback?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 12:53:53 PM »
I am not registered on FB, can anyone ask them if they plan G-Rex re-production? I would be interested in G-Rex A4000T which is extremely rare now (about 5 working G-Rex 4000T sold). But also if the drivers could be somehow opensource, so for example Sonnet Crescendo G3 could be ported.
A500+ | A600 | A1200 | A1200T | A2000 | A4000 | A4000T | Mac mini G4

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
Re: Phase 5 Digital Products comeback?
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
I do wish someone will remake these boards . The blizzard line has been the best and most stable Turbo cards i have had in my Amiga.
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;814405
i'd pay a fortune for that. seriously. i'd sell some of my NG gear if needed to afford that.

-- eliyahu

and what would that gain you? seriously, all the time im hearing the genuine amigas are not worth it, better to switch to ppc "ng" gear to start with, because amigas do not provide enough ressources, especially to run anything like os4, and now this?

especially that there is currently an active ppc project out there to supply amiga big boxes with a faster ppc option compatible with warpos and os4 in perspective. you only need to buy a mediator bus board and source a sonnet ppc card.

in my opinion warpos software library counting few hundred titles but only few notable apps doesnt justify any investments in ppc/68k hybrid hardware. the only justification for ppc is usage of os4 and/or morphos, but both render the 68k completely unnecessary. if anything a ppc relacement mainboard for amiga cases might be considered a proper solution for ppc diehards, whils this still sounds like an absurdity.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
@wawrzon

i appreciate you're not a big fan of the PPC solutions, but for me, a A1200 with a PPC accelerator is my dream. it would let me run OS3.9 and OS4.1; and while you keep saying there's no software, i totally disagree. i use perfectpaint all the time, for example, and that works under WOS. i have no idea if anyone else finds these things as interesting as i do.

i didn't say anyone else would buy. just me. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;814442
@wawrzon
i use perfectpaint all the time

perfect paint? i think this is coded in amiblitz and must have been abandoned since it was pretty buggy and would have to be rewritten from the scratch in order to maintain it. but being amiblitz software it is a pure 68k binary, it doesnt take advantage of warpos and if you mean that you are using it under os4 under emulation, then it doesnt require a genuine amiga anyway. so i dont see an argument here.

but in case you are just confusing perfect paint with personal paint, which has a native os4 binary in the meantime, im not sure why would you want to utilize amiga chipset display with it while on os4.

so while im not trying to impose my view on anybody, im still not certain what value a warpos solution would represent today except an emotional one..

Offline amiadudeorwat

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »
I'm with eliyahu, I'd buy a newly made Cyberstorm PPC in a heartbeat, especially if they used one of the ~400MHz PPCs like Stachu installs on current boards.  Like the Sonnet project, this doesn't just give you access to a "few notable apps" having that kind of power under OS3.9 gives you access to a few hundred Mame, Genesis, SNES games and possibly a large portion of the PowerPC Mac library under iFusion, though iFusion doesn't currently run on anything but a CSPPC/BPPC.  Not to mention running GL versions of the various Quake like engines at actual decent resolutions at good speeds.

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
No matter what speed CPU is used, the old CSPPC design is still limited to only 128MB of RAM, which makes it not really practical for OS4.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 10:59:55 PM »
who cares about os 4.x and why use a classic for that anyways . There are many reasons why you would use a classic and not a ppc only os .
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 11:13:24 PM »
Quote from: adonay;814456
who cares about os 4.x and why use a classic for that anyways . There are many reasons why you would use a classic and not a ppc only os .

I use classic hardware for the fun of it, but its not that practical.
PPC hardware has the power to run software with more utility.

But I will admit that a 603e or 604e augmented legacy system doesn't add much.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline psxphill

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:10 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;814440
and what would that gain you? seriously, all the time im hearing the genuine amigas are not worth it, better to switch to ppc "ng" gear to start with, because amigas do not provide enough ressources, especially to run anything like os4, and now this?

I might spoil things for you, but ppc "ng" gear are not worth it. Better to switch to a PC.

But a "not an A1200" from Jens coupled with a full 68060+PPC would be pretty nice. Ok it's still AGA, but the cpu can access chip ram at full speed no matter whether you throw 256 colour, copper and blitter nasty at it.

I'd accept an Apollo core if they improved the compatibility by supporting the full 68060 fpu and mmu.

Quote from: Bennymee;814413
Creating a turbo with an existing cpu should be less work then creating a new one ;)

That depends on the existing cpu. It may increase the amount of work they need to do (it will just be different work).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:34:52 PM by psxphill »

Offline kolla

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 12:45:14 AM »
I thought a reason why we would never see reruns of these boards was because making them RHOS compliant would be impossible.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 01:07:56 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;814443
perfect paint? i think this is coded in amiblitz

It is. But it did use a few external tools (like a raytracer, I kid you not), some of which were available as WarpOS builds aswell (JPEG export, maybe? it's been too long).

Quote from: amiadudeorwat;814444

and possibly a large portion of the PowerPC Mac library under iFusion, though iFusion

If your definition of "possibly" is "no %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!ing way" - then yes, possibly.

iFusion never worked properly.

Not to mention running GL versions of the various Quake like engines at actual decent resolutions at good speeds.

With an extremely crappy mouse ;) You can already run Quake (or MAME...) on your PC - which has lots of horsepower, is connected to the best mouse, keyboard and monitor you have lying around and always has the latest releases available.

I was running PC ports on my classic PPC setup for years. It's not as much fun as it sounds, honest.

Offline amiadudeorwat

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 01:44:10 AM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;814466
It is. But it did use a few external tools (like a raytracer, I kid you not), some of which were available as WarpOS builds aswell (JPEG export, maybe? it's been too long).

If your definition of "possibly" is "no %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!ing way" - then yes, possibly.

iFusion never worked properly.

With an extremely crappy mouse ;) You can already run Quake (or MAME...) on your PC - which has lots of horsepower, is connected to the best mouse, keyboard and monitor you have lying around and always has the latest releases available.

I was running PC ports on my classic PPC setup for years. It's not as much fun as it sounds, honest.

So you're saying no one ever ran iFusion, also that it is impossible to use anything other than an original Amiga mouse, an Amiga keyboard and 1084 monitor.

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 01:49:57 AM »
Quote from: adonay;814456

Totally agree, I personally have zero interest in anything PPC, especially on a classic.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #44 from previous page: September 27, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
Quote from: kolla;814465
I thought a reason why we would never see reruns of these boards was because making them RHOS compliant would be impossible.

You can apply for exemptions from RHOS & you can also use non-RHOS for spares.

RHOS appears to be pragmatic as the environmental impact of just throwing away or melting down all the old 68060 rather than just reusing them would play a part.

I think you can also get exemptions if you are just a small hobby market.