Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement  (Read 13107 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the document contains details, what was out there was general information. It is a good read as there are lots of conclusions that can be driven by interpreting it, and it sheds some light on some previously unheard hardware.

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 06:34:47 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;801537
They didn't even know Sony were coming, they were only thinking of 3do/Atari/Nintendo/Sega.

Well, to be fair *nobody* saw Sony coming. If Sony hadn't played their hand as brilliantly as they did, Sega might still be making hardware today.
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:56 PM »
Only out of idle curiosity, is this historic documentation you guys are talking about freely distributable?  Or is it also protected in the same manner as the source code?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike

i'm trying to find out. stay tuned. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »
The document I mentioned can be located inside the archive in this area:

os-source/other/documents/futprod.doc

Offline psxphill

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 10:42:25 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;801542
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the document contains details, what was out there was general information.

"Everything you mentioned was well known for years"

I hate to burst your bubble, but I stand what I said. The document contains a few things that hadn't been mentioned before, but you failed to mention them. There are a few interesting hardware fantasies in there, but we know that commodore built lots of hardware that they didn't ship.

John DiLullo who was credited as a contributor in the document doesn't seem to keen on the Amiga a few months later.

http://www.amigareport.com/ar205/p1-11.html

Quote from: Aegis;801543
Well, to be fair *nobody* saw Sony coming. If Sony hadn't played their hand as brilliantly as they did, Sega might still be making hardware today.

Commodore needed a 3d console out in 1993 to put Sony off, if commodore UK controlled R&D then things would have been different. Sega knew Sony were coming as after the Nintendo partnership fell through they tried to do a deal with Sega, they also turned down SGI's Ultra 64 as well. Sega were arrogant, like commodore....

OT: I want to know if the UHRES in ECS/AGA that was removed in AAA, is what Jay Miner was going on about when talked about VRAM chips that had already been designed

http://www.thule.no/haynie/research/nyx/docs/AAA.pdf

"The ECS "Ultra hires" registers have been eliminated, as they were never supported in actual practice"

http://www.thule.no/haynie/chips/aa/regbits.pdf
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:19:42 AM by psxphill »

Offline slimf

• Show only replies by slimf
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2016, 06:47:50 AM »
While Hyperion might not like the release, and I tend to err on the side of the copy-write holder... in this case, it will be cool to see what patches and enhancements can be done that will run on existing hardware, and whats possible on faster hardware like FPGA's etc.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;801559
John DiLullo who was credited as a contributor in the document doesn't seem to keen on the Amiga a few months later.

http://www.amigareport.com/ar205/p1-11.html

Wow, could only get through the first few paragraphs of that.  By the time I got to "the fanatical Amiga owners are an embarrassment to Commodore" I was hoping this guy got hit by a bus.  :(

I remember reading AmigaReport back in the day.  But I don't remember that article.  Probably just as well, lol.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;801559
Commodore needed a 3d console out in 1993 to put Sony off

Commodore released the CD32 in September 1993 to compete with the Sega CD and the 3DO (which it did - for its short lifespan it was the top-selling CD platform in the EU). It was discontinued in April 1994 when Commodore went bankrupt.

The Saturn didn't hit Japan until November 1994 (mid-1995 in the US/EU) and the PlayStation didn't arrive in the US/EU until September 1995.

Neither the Saturn nor especially the PlayStation were implicit in the downfall of the Amiga/CD32 - that was all down to Commodore. As it was, they couldn't manufacture enough CD32s to meet demand because of their debt problems (they were having to pay for everything in cash).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:40:38 AM by Aegis »
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
Sega didn't see 3D coming, they correct it with the Dreamcast but they choose PowerVR over 3DFX that EA wanted, so no EA games...
Kamelito

Offline psxphill

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »
Quote from: Aegis;801613
Commodore released the CD32 in September 1993 to compete with the Sega CD and the 3DO (which it did - for its short lifespan it was the top-selling CD platform in the EU). It was discontinued in April 1994 when Commodore went bankrupt.

The Saturn didn't hit Japan until November 1994 (mid-1995 in the US/EU) and the PlayStation didn't arrive in the US/EU until September 1995.

Neither the Saturn nor especially the PlayStation were implicit in the downfall of the Amiga/CD32 - that was all down to Commodore. As it was, they couldn't manufacture enough CD32s to meet demand because of their debt problems (they were having to pay for everything in cash).

I didn't say that the PlayStation was directly responsible for commodores demise. There were a lot of CD32's manufactured, you couldn't move for them in the UK before and after the bankruptcy. They couldn't be imported into the US because of the xor patent. Commodore's bankruptcy was more to do with the banks believing that they were worth more now than if they lent them more money to continue trading while the management spent money on planes/hotels/etc

The date that Saturn/PlayStation arrived in the EU/US is irrelevant. European developers had started getting development kits before commodore went under. People knew they were coming.

Quote from: kamelito;801620
Sega didn't see 3D coming, they correct it with the Dreamcast but they choose PowerVR over 3DFX that EA wanted, so no EA games...
Kamelito

Yeah it was only Nintendo that realised how important 3D was going to be for games. They teamed up with Argonaut before the SNES launched to create the SuperFX. Sony will have known about it from when they were working with Nintendo on the "Play Station". Sony's technical experience with 3D was from SystemG for video editing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:57:12 PM by psxphill »

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;801542
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the document contains details, what was out there was general information. It is a good read as there are lots of conclusions that can be driven by interpreting it, and it sheds some light on some previously unheard hardware.

sounds like its worth downloading.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;801519
commodore let it fade away, but third parties insistance on ppc was the final blow that actually killed away what was was left of it.;)

Not...quite...yet, but Hyperion might mange it eventually.
And I am ambivalent to specific ISAs.
68K is dead, we moved to PPCs, we can moved again.

Its you flat earthers that were the actual final blow.
So go play your old 2D games and blow.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
Quote from: yssing;801470
I think the Tabor 1222 would be ideal for you, I will most likely get one.

For Blake? Doubtful.
Unfortunately even Haynie has this one figured out by now, if some of us haven't.

Tabor introduces a crippled CPU when better processors are available.

At this point moving to X64 seems the best course.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
@thread

since there was such an interest in the commodore planning document we have been discussing, i contacted hyperion entertainment directly via email and requested permission to publish this document for those interested and am pleased to report back that permission has been granted. you can have a read-through here:

http://intuitionbase.com/misc/FutureProductOptions_dist.pdf

a big thank you to the hyperion directors for taking the time to review the document and allow its publication for historical purposes. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Iggy

« Reply #59 from previous page: January 07, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;801638
@thread

since there was such an interest in the commodore planning document we have been discussing, i contacted hyperion entertainment directly via email and requested permission to publish this document for those interested and am pleased to report back that permission has been granted. you can have a read-through here:

http://intuitionbase.com/misc/FutureProductOptions_dist.pdf

a big thank you to the hyperion directors for taking the time to review the document and allow its publication for historical purposes. :)

-- eliyahu

Neat.
A quick snapshot from the edge of doom.
For once I am in Hyperion's debt.