Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problems with Amiga Explorer  (Read 2521 times)

Description:

Offline PotatoBoxTopic starter

• Show only replies by PotatoBox
Problems with Amiga Explorer
« on: August 15, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »
I'm trying to use the setup utility with Amiga Explorer and whenever I try the "Type SER: to RAM:Setup" command, I get the "Can't open ser:" error.
I've checked the pinouts of the null modem cable and its completely fine. I've also tried an old laptop with a serial port on it, that didn't work either (I've been using a USB to serial adapter with my modern laptop otherwise). Also if I just type in "ser:" in the cli, amiga explorer is able to transfer some data to the amiga but I get an Amiga explorer window on my amiga with the serial settings along with another window that says "Serial can't connect". Sounds like a problem with my amiga.

Maybe there is something interfering with serial communication? This amiga 2500 was pulled out of a school environment, so maybe they put some sort of startup script to limit the use of the serial port? I don't know enough about workbench or amigados to understand the startup-script in the s: directory.

One thing I'd also like to point out is that one of the pins on the serial connector is slightly bent, but this doesn't seem to stop the serial cable from connecting to the computer. So I don't think that's the problem either.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:15:38 AM by PotatoBox »

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
Re: Problems with Amiga Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:41:00 PM »
Have you set the correct settings for the serial port on the Amiga?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
whenever I try the "Type SER: to RAM:Setup" command, I get the "Can't open ser:" error.

You need a complete boot disk with Port-Hander in L:

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 05:52:09 AM »
whenever I try the "Type SER: to RAM:Setup" command, I get the "Can't open ser:" error.

You need a complete boot disk with Port-Hander in L:

This amiga 2500 has workbench 1.3 installed on an HDD when I got it along with a bunch of other creative software (DeluxePaint, C-Light etc.). Is it possible that the installation just omitted the Port-Handler? I will check tomorrow what's in the L: directory, is it just a file called "port-handler"?

Otherwise, is it just a simple copy and paste of the "port-handler" from the Workbench 1.3 floppy disk to the hdd?

Also, is it possible for workbench 1.3 to display all the hidden directories (s:, c:, etc.) in the GUI?

Thanks,

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »

You also need serial.device in Devs:

Yes, these are files you can copy from the Workbench 1.3 floppy disk.

The "show all files" menu item was introduced only in WB 2.0. Actually Workbench was never meant as a file explorer. You should think of it as a kind of start menu.

To look at files you can use disk managers like CLI-Mate or DosControl. I think there is even a version of Directory Opus which works on Kick 1.3.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 01:43:03 AM »

You also need serial.device in Devs:

Yes, these are files you can copy from the Workbench 1.3 floppy disk.

The "show all files" menu item was introduced only in WB 2.0. Actually Workbench was never meant as a file explorer. You should think of it as a kind of start menu.

To look at files you can use disk managers like CLI-Mate or DosControl. I think there is even a version of Directory Opus which works on Kick 1.3.

I just looked in L: and devs. I have both the Port-Handler and serial.device.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 10:57:49 PM »
I tried a new null modem and usb to serial adapter.... still not working...

I have made sure to triple check the serial preferences on the amiga and still getting the same error "Can't open ser".

Is it possible that the serial port on the amiga is bad? any ideas?????
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:02:14 PM by PotatoBox »