Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne Linux  (Read 1196 times)

Description:

Offline caver99Topic starter

• Show only replies by caver99
AmigaOne Linux
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
Sorry if this the wrong place to put this.

I have an A1-G3SE and i have os4.1 installed but i want to try and put yellow dog linux on aswell but dont know how to set the uboot up to do this plus how i booted the cd to install linux of os4.1.

Can anyone help.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Re: AmigaOne Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to reply, but I couldn't find any other place for it. This seemed the most logical place, but I apologize if it's not and please move it to the appropriate place.

You booted the CD to install linux of os4.1, but don't know how it happened?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
I think YDL3 was the last version that kinda-sorta supported the A1. Things are slightly better with Debian. Check out the Kernel page. There's an Etch install ISO.

Here's an install guide - slightly outdated, but the principles should be the same, especially the part about a1boot.conf - that's what you need for UBoot to multiboot between OS4 and Linux.

Offline caver99Topic starter

• Show only replies by caver99
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »
eeerrrr yeh its been a while since i installed the os4.1 and i cant remember how the hell i did it sorry, i have had amigas from the 1.2 a500 but this u-boot is kinda strange.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
Short version:

1. Install OS4. Leave space on the drive for Linux partitions.
2. Create Linux partitions using Media Toolbox. Use the filesystem identifiers from the above install guide. The swap partition should be twice the size of your installed RAM.
3. Boot the Debian CD from UBoot. I think the command is
Code: [Select]
diskboot 500000 x:0 0 where x is the unit number of your CD drive (0-3)
4. Pick up from step 3 of the Debian part of the install guide. Obviously you'll want to use the current kernel version numbers and your Linux partition number instead of /dev/hda4

It's been literally years since I installed Linux on my A1, so things may have changed more now that the Etch installer has appeared.