Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 69618 times)

Description:

Offline Hattig

• Show all replies
Re: Vampire v4
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »
TBH I think I'd just get the standalone unless you really wanted to keep the Amiga keyboard and case going...

Offline Hattig

• Show all replies
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:02:06 PM »
Yes, without and FPU some software is affected, but the FEMU will allow software that uses the FPU, but is not dependent upon it being performant, to run whereas it wouldn't before. There isn't a lot of this software as far as I know - most should have used the AmigaOS IEEE libraries which would have abstracted the problem of FPU-availability away.

The lack of MMU is clearly a big problem for developers who make use of the tooling built around the MMU for debugging. Given the new custom instructions, this seems lacking to me - even if they have a developer core that is slower but has an MMU, and a fast core without. To me this feels more of a priority, but yeah, a lot of people are waiting on the FPU that has been promised.

I can understand people being a bit peeved that new custom instructions like their integer AMMX stuff have been done before a real FPU or MMU. On the other hand, these people are mostly doing it for not a lot, if they want to have some fun (likely hardware ALU blocks on the FPGA made wiring up AMMX a lot easier than doing a full FPU implementation) who am I to complain...

None of that takes away from the achievement of everyone involved in Vampire and the concept of replacing the Amiga CPU with an FPGA implementation initially. It feels like there is a lot more to come.