Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Coldfire AMIGA  (Read 4997 times)

Description:

Offline Maddestman

• Show all replies
    • http://themaddestman.bravepages.com/index.html
Re: The Coldfire AMIGA
« on: April 18, 2002, 04:48:19 AM »
This is a very interesting idea, in my opinion.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to have more then 2Mb of chip RAM in any Amiga custom chipset, and the jumper on the A4K (2Mb/8Mb chip RAM) was there as a result of the A4K being a prototype that was put into production in one hell of a hurry, and which was never really designed to be put into production.  Oh, and having more then 2Mb of chip RAM would most likely break a large amount of software, perhaps even AmigaDOS/Workbench (now commonly referred to simply as AmigaOS) 3.x may have trouble with more then 2Mb of chip - I don't know and the only people who might really have an idea are those who have worked on the Amiga operating system or have at least viewed the source code to it.

The other issue that comes to mind for me, is would you be able to get Kickstart ROM chips for this, and how would they be licensed?  Or would the Kickstart ROM's be stored as files (like on the early A3K's) so you could select which Kickstart you want to use on booting the machine - which would be good for compatibility with older software that objects to anything better then Kickstart 1.3...

An interesting project indeed, and I wish all the people involved good luck and all the best.  I'd love to see this available for sale, in my opinion it has a bigger market then the CD32 ever did, even if it's not compatible with the future Amiga's (which will be out by the time this thing see's the light of day) there is still plenty of software for such a machine.  It'd be interesting to see what Amiga Inc have to say about this...
I sometimes wish I hadn\\\'t traded my A1200 for an A4000/040...