Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Copymem Quick & Big Released!  (Read 8349 times)

Description:

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Copymem Quick & Big Released!
« on: July 05, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »
I am with utri007 on this. What is the point of being faster on 1mio copies of 128 bytes if in reality this situation never happens? Where is the bottleneck you are trying to fix, how did you even find that? Optimizations are probably fun for you, but if it only shows in arbitrary tests - what is the point?

What is practical difference? What is faster with these and how much? I do I get 2fps faster Quake or what?

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Copymem Quick & Big Released!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:43:16 AM »
@SpeedGeek My lamer question comes from your own statement
The main goal is to give the fastest possible results with Testit from COPMQR28
. As this benchmark seems to do thousands of sequential copies (maybe even from/to the same address every time?) one can assume this optimization only really shows in this kind of cases. Once we remove the repeating out of the copy procedure(like from 1mio down to 10, 50) the results are, probably, still faster, but the absolute effect is only marginal, as normal copyroutines don't do that mio times repeating. So the gain is a few ms every minute of normal operation, say Workbench or whatever?
If the installation of this patch takes one more reboot or a few seconds to install, then i lost all speed benefit for, say, the whole week in advance?
It is still interesting, but as long as LightWave or PPaint or Quake or Doom are not getting accelerated, i pass on this patch. ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:47:00 AM by TribbleSmasher »