Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Since this site is pretty much stagnate  (Read 4843 times)

Description:

Offline smf

Re: Since this site is pretty much stagnate
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 14, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
@ferrellsl

I'm sure no one is missing the cry babies so they won't be missed anyway  ;D

Offline amigakit

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
Actually since the relaunch of this site, I have very much enjoyed reading the positive and informative contributions of Amiga users here.

It is great to see users having fun with their hobbies and helping others.

This is the true spirit of the Amiga.org community.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 03:25:07 PM »
This sounds very much like a planned purge.... :-[

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 05:46:14 PM »
@smf

I'm sure no one is missing the cry babies so they won't be missed anyway

Are you an adult with anything to contribute?  It seems not based on the above.  I'll go ahead and ask the same questions that got me banned for 5 months last year.  Where is the promised SMP for OS4?  Where is the 64-bit addressing? Where is the office productivity suite?  Where is the modern browser?  These were all promised as far back as 2007.  If OS4 were an open source OS with no funding and being developed by enthusiasts at no cost, I could understand the lack of progress, but it's ridiculous to wait 12 years for promised features for an OS that costs more than Windows.  Why haven't there been any progress reports from Hyperion about the promised features?  Oh, that's right.  They're too busy litigating to be bothered with any development or fulfilling any commitments to their customers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:49:31 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »
@smf

I'm sure no one is missing the cry babies so they won't be missed anyway

Are you an adult with anything to contribute?  It seems not based on the above.  I'll go ahead and ask the same questions that got me banned for 5 months last year.  Where is the promised SMP for OS4?  Where is the 64-bit addressing? Where is the office productivity suite?  Where is the modern browser?  These were all promised as far back as 2007.  If OS4 were an open source OS with no funding and being developed by enthusiasts at no cost, I could understand the lack of progress, but it's ridiculous to wait 12 years for promised features for an OS that costs more than Windows.  Why haven't there been any progress reports from Hyperion about the promised features?  Oh, that's right.  They're too busy litigating to be bothered with any development or fulfilling any commitments to their customers.
Wonder what the landscape would look like if the operating system had been open sourced when Commodore went bankrupt.  Then we could have had Cloanto, Hyperion, MorphOS and Aros all be collaborating on the code instead of trying to fork off their own thing and causing competition within the same software library.  You don't see that in any other operating system.  It'd be like if Windows 7, 8 and 10 were all made by different companies, and were allowed to only use their respective versions of directX and some only being allowed on specific CPUs. 
Sadly, I'm a sucker for it and bought a PPC macbook for MorpOS, and have on the way the hardware that will allow me (hopefully) to get a working OS4 Classic set up.

But back on topic, I wonder how much of it is that people don't know Amiga.org is back up?  I didn't.  I read when they were down, joined the Disgracebook (I'm stealing that, it's great) group, and it's okay, but I don't think anyone announced that amiga.org was back up.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
Didn't they send a notification via email to all former members?

Offline amigakit

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
I don't think anyone announced that amiga.org was back up

We made an announcement on the Amiga.org Facebook page and on the front page of Amiga.org, plus several posts in various Amiga forum groups.

There has been a full page advert in Amiga Future magazine for the last 6 months too advertising Amiga.org.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:12:48 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline kolla

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 09:43:42 PM »
For me, it's still a riddle why there has to be a "portal" page on amiga.org, instead of just adding those links to wiki and whatever to the top of the forum banner, and use forum as the main page for amiga.org.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Acill

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
I havent seen much posting here since the site went down for so long and then came back up. I fear a lot of people are just using others to fill the gap and didnt notice it came back up, or just realized they didnt need it as much as they once did.

I would like to very much see it come back to its former glory.  I honestly want off facebook as much as I can, but that is where the most are currently.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline golem

• Show only replies by golem
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 10:29:11 PM »
kolla said
"For me, it's still a riddle why there has to be a "portal" page on amiga.org, instead of just adding those links to wiki and whatever to the top of the forum banner, and use forum as the main page for amiga.org."

I bookmark forum page. I too think first page is unnecessary.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:31:51 PM by golem »

A1200 desktop, Blizzard 1260, OS3.9BB2, Indivision Mk II, SCSI Jaz, Ethernet
A1200 desktop, Blizzard 1230, OS3.1, Ethernet
A500, OS1.3

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
I too think first page is unnecessary.

+1

I'm still too busy working.  Since my company got bought out late last summer the new owners have been stringing me along.  Most recently I was fired, along with a big group of my favorite co-workers, on 5/23.  Then they actually had the nerve to say to me in the meeting "Mike, we'd like to talk to you after."  They had my severance package in one hand and a retention bonus in the other, if I agreed to stick around for a little more of the transition.  Since I am a goddamned genius and built all of the technology in this business myself.  Like a sucker I took the retention, when I could out hiking the Appalachian Trail.  #sigh  Can you tell I'm a little bit bitter, still?  :D

Of course this is Northern Virginia.  We have Amazon coming here, along with even worse traffic congestion.  I can't turn around and not trip over at least 80 new notifications on Indeed that "your resume matches such and such position".  Employers are snapping up everyone with even a modicum of IT skills.  So not worried about finding new work, just wish I could retire... or spend more time with my new wife, or with my Amiga's, LOL.  ;)

I did fire up my main A2000 today, it's turned on next to me.  I've been doing some updates and maintenance.  I turn it on so rarely now, I'm always worried that one day I'll go to turn it on and the CF card will have crapped out, or something.  Right now I'm trying to remember how to make a backup of that, LOL.  Change is hard, this new website site design still sucks, and "Disgracebook" --- I gotta remember that term!  Maybe someday I'll have time to come back to this site 15 times a day, like I used to.  :'(  Cheers, everyone!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Vlabguy1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 11:32:07 PM »
I don't think anyone announced that amiga.org was back up

We made an announcement on the Amiga.org Facebook page and on the front page of Amiga.org, plus several posts in various Amiga forum groups.

There has been a full page advert in Amiga Future magazine for the last 6 months too advertising Amiga.org.

okay that’s great but permanent damage has been done by taking it down in the first place and only to relaunch the site with less than it was when it was taken down. Cant post images and the gallery is GONE. Oh excuse me the gallery tab is there.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 11:57:31 PM »
I think an e-mail ought to have been sent to notify that the site was back up and running. I remember keep going back to check with less and less frequency...yes maybe some just gave up and thought it was never going to come back online. As regards the gallery, even if the gallery data is lost (this I believe has been denied), it can quite easily be rebuilt by us, the forum members! The sooner the better really.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
I'm still too busy working.  Since my company got bought out late last summer the new owners have been stringing me along.  Most recently I was fired, along with a big group of my favorite co-workers, on 5/23.  Then they actually had the nerve to say to me in the meeting "Mike, we'd like to talk to you after."  They had my severance package in one hand and a retention bonus in the other, if I agreed to stick around for a little more of the transition.  Since I am a goddamned genius and built all of the technology in this business myself.  Like a sucker I took the retention, when I could out hiking the Appalachian Trail.  #sigh  Can you tell I'm a little bit bitter, still?  :D

Great seeing you post up Mike! So, do you have an appx date for transition completion? Sorry to hear they're just running you ragged. Hope you can get a better job soon where you have some time to actually enjoy your newly married life! Pro Tip: Take some time off between jobs!  ;)

Of course this is Northern Virginia.  We have Amazon coming here, along with even worse traffic congestion.  I can't turn around and not trip over at least 80 new notifications on Indeed that "your resume matches such and such position".  Employers are snapping up everyone with even a modicum of IT skills.  So not worried about finding new work, just wish I could retire... or spend more time with my new wife, or with my Amiga's, LOL.  ;)

Not trying to rub it in, but retirement is great (except working on the house everyday getting it ready to sell is going to take years off my life).

I did fire up my main A2000 today, it's turned on next to me.  I've been doing some updates and maintenance.  I turn it on so rarely now, I'm always worried that one day I'll go to turn it on and the CF card will have crapped out, or something.  Right now I'm trying to remember how to make a backup of that, LOL.  Change is hard, this new website site design still sucks, and "Disgracebook" --- I gotta remember that term!  Maybe someday I'll have time to come back to this site 15 times a day, like I used to.  :'(  Cheers, everyone!

Really hope to see you back mega-posting someday soon!

If you don't have a b/u, this method works great. I have tested the backup and restore and it just works - and is fairly easy.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=673448&postcount=2

There's always this method too...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67293

BTW, thanks much for this link!
http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/VersionWB
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:54:43 PM by giZmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!