Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Since this site is pretty much stagnate  (Read 4881 times)

Description:

Offline Vlabguy1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Since this site is pretty much stagnate
« on: June 13, 2019, 05:37:59 AM »
 is there another Amiga site that is more active and functional??

Thanks
Rich.

Offline HyAmi

• Show only replies by HyAmi
Re: Since this site is pretty much stagnate
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:03:25 AM »
a1k.org/forum is pretty active. It's in German, but even though it's not my native language, it doesn't stop me visiting the site almost daily.
Unfortunately, it's down for maintenance at the moment.

Offline number6

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »

Thanks
Rich.

English Amiga Board was, and is, more active

The following users thanked this post: Vlabguy1

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »

Thanks
Rich.

Except it shouldn't be. AO used to have just as much traffic as EAB before the "great migration". Where the h3ll did everybody go anyway? Disgracebook? It's quite depressing actually.  :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:42:16 PM by giZmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

The following users thanked this post: Vlabguy1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »

Thanks
Rich.

Except it shouldn't be. AO used to have just as much traffic as EAB before the "great migration". Where the h3ll did everybody go anyway? Disgracebook? It's quit depressing actually.  :(

So true .. I used to love this site and it was always my browser homepage no matter what computer I was using.  It makes me pretty sad seeing what A.org has become.

Offline number6

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »

Thanks
Rich.

Except it shouldn't be. AO used to have just as much traffic as EAB before the "great migration". Where the h3ll did everybody go anyway? Disgracebook? It's quit depressing actually.  :(

Oddly EAB has a thread on that topic:
Social media is killing Amiga forums
But obviously Amiga forum traffic is also related to how people perceive the battling amongst "owners" and the perceived result of said battling as well.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
A forum without pictures of our beloved Amigas becomes obsolete very fast.

Offline Darin

• Show only replies by Darin
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 06:48:09 PM »
It's just not this forum or even generally Amiga forums.  The same drop in in users and activity is happening across all the forums I know of/visit/member of/etc and that covers a lot of forums on tech/family/pets/cars/trucks/martial arts/computers/Amiga. 

Other social media platforms are a bit the cause, but even the modern social media special interest groups don't have the activity of the forums of old.

Just in my option from my own observations. 

One of the biggest issues is that younger users don't have the interests in formation and discussions of topics of interest.   Popular social media platforms are not conductive to lengthy discussions across multiple topics.  Try having a conversation of length on Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, doesn't work well, and it's those type of "sound bite" platforms that are popular.

Another large reason I find, is the ageing of the population that made up forum users.  One, as we all get older, have families, other responsibilities, priorities change.  It reduces the amount of free time available to hobbies/interests/forum participation/etc.

Another reason it user population attrition.  People's interests change, hobbies change, and people leave behind the things that used to interest them.  Related to this is, and using the Amiga as an example, how many people of younger generations are taking up Amigas to use?  They are few and far between. 

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »
Since I've been working on my A1200 more regularly since last October, I've found this forum to be really helpful and supportive. I've asked numerous questions and had helpful answers and I enjoy contributing towards other technical questions which I know about.

I read most threads but don't always contribute and I visit this site and aminet everyday.

I occasionally look at Amigaworld.net and I look at EAB if it returns a google search result for something I'm looking for, rather than go there out of habit.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »
It's just not this forum or even generally Amiga forums.  The same drop in in users and activity is happening across all the forums I know of/visit/member of/etc and that covers a lot of forums on tech/family/pets/cars/trucks/martial arts/computers/Amiga. 

Other social media platforms are a bit the cause, but even the modern social media special interest groups don't have the activity of the forums of old.

Just in my option from my own observations. 

One of the biggest issues is that younger users don't have the interests in formation and discussions of topics of interest.   Popular social media platforms are not conductive to lengthy discussions across multiple topics.  Try having a conversation of length on Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, doesn't work well, and it's those type of "sound bite" platforms that are popular.

Another large reason I find, is the ageing of the population that made up forum users.  One, as we all get older, have families, other responsibilities, priorities change.  It reduces the amount of free time available to hobbies/interests/forum participation/etc.

Another reason it user population attrition.  People's interests change, hobbies change, and people leave behind the things that used to interest them.  Related to this is, and using the Amiga as an example, how many people of younger generations are taking up Amigas to use?  They are few and far between.

Well this site was down for a very long time for redesign and “improvements” and that pretty much killed this site and almost zero has been improved although the only thing I thought was lacking from the old site was a LIKE button.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
A forum without pictures of our beloved Amigas becomes obsolete very fast.
+1 we all love to see pics of miggies old/ new and even hacked up....Amiga hardware pron ;)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline kirk_m

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 03:39:41 AM »
I have to agree with the above.   The site was down for far too long....months.   That's what killed it more than anything.  Kind of silly to take it down completely for an upgrade, instead of installing the new software on a separate server, testing it and working out all the bugs there, all the while leaving the old version online until the new one was ready to go live, then switch it all in one day.
-/- A500 & ACA500 & ACA1233n -/- A500 Tower & VAMPiRE II 500+ -/- A2000 & BLiZZARD 2060 -/- A3000 & CYBERSTORM MKII 040 -/- A1200 & BLiZZARD 1230 MK IV -/- A1200 & BLiZZARD 1260 -/- A4000 & 3640 -/-

guest21671

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 04:27:20 AM »

Oddly EAB has a thread on that topic:
Social media is killing Amiga forums
But obviously Amiga forum traffic is also related to how people perceive the battling amongst "owners" and the perceived result of said battling as well.

It's not just Amiga forums.  I'm also a historical reenactor and I've noticed the same with those forums.  FB has killed many

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 05:32:22 AM »
Another thing that killed this site was the harsh censorship and banning people for months.  Prior to the months-long shutdown, statements that were even remotely critical of OS4 or Hyperion resulted in bans lasting months.  I was banned for 5 months starting in January of last year for being critical of the lack of progress with OS4.  I'm sure quite a few others who were banned have found freer places in virtual space to hang out....I certainly have.

Offline smf

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
@ferrellsl

I'm sure no one is missing the cry babies so they won't be missed anyway  ;D