Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking of alternative rantables.  (Read 2540 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Thinking of alternative rantables.
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 14, 2005, 01:57:43 PM »
@Wayne

If you truly feel that way, perhaps it's time to consider handing the shebang over to someone else?

Of course, the place would feel weird without you in charge.

Hmm, there's a catch 22...
int p; // A

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
I'm sorry if this wasn't self-apparent, but after 10 years of effort and soul, I will *never* "hand over" the site to anyone.     Would you give away a classic car that you built from the ground up just because you bought a new car?  There's not a single person in this community that I feel would ever be able to maintain it the way it needs to be (and yes, sometimes that even includes me).

After years of trying to get out of it what I personally put in, the site's no longer for sale either but if someone wants to put together a realistic offer, I *might* entertain it for the next little while.  Otherwise, if I end up closing the site some day it'll serve as a well-deserved tombstone to the last 10 years of dedication and effort.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 02:27:51 PM »
@Wayne,

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound callous about it. I quite understand your reasoning there.

As a user, however, it would be a tragedy to see the site disbanded, so I had to raise the possibility at least.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2005, 02:32:59 PM »
Hey Wayne, I find all this talk of the Amiga Platform being dead totally irrelevant to the whole point of Amiga.org...

Ok, people who think the platform is alive and well and has a chance in beating M$ etc, can go to Aw.net or where ever.

Those of us who actually use Amigas, enjoy Amigas and have fun etc, come here.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2005, 03:41:48 PM »
I agree with Wayne that the amiga will never "take over the world" - or whatever notion the kids (on AW) have on this issue. I don't think I EVER believed that.
I had hoped that a competant person or persons would at least run a company with some dignity and respect.

it was not to be.

I will tell you why I'm still involved: Last saturday a bunch of us got together for the monthy QUAG meeting over at Lou's. We saw a Peg running 1.5 (VERY impressive!), we play with AmigaOne's and any new updates that happen to roll in. we play with amiga forever, i brought in my AROS CD but the pc there didn't boot from it. etc., etc.

I have been working on redoing my web site for purchase on a CD and having included quicktimes of some shots I did for DUNE, I have been testing the CD on as many amiga systems as possible. brought it to the meeting and found the new MPlayer for OS4 works great, btw.

but the real reason i go? We Laughted and laughted and laughted.:lol: all day long we are having a freaking party! even when we don't have anything "new" to look at, we play with whatever there is. because it's all about just enjoying it all.

do I think my CD will be a big seller???
of course not. if it sells 10, I'll be happy.
I'm doing it because over the years my IFX articles have helped people and i get a kick out of that.

it doesn't matter if it's one person or one hundred.

i guess because i never had any real hope that amiga would GET BIG, i'm not really disappointed that it hasn't.

I do think that kids coming here and poking toothpicks in Wayne's ankles is really annoying and it would be nice if there was a way to make that stop.

after all, if someone tried that over at Lou's we'd all just throw the kid down the stairs. or something equally effective. :lol:

I would miss some people here. But, as always, I bow to whatever Wayne wants to do because this is HIS place and we are just visiting.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 07:23:28 PM »
I apologize if anyone finds my responses insulting or otherwise a bit too "drama queen".  On both sides of the coin (both good and bad), nothing has changed in the Amiga community as of late.  I'm just feeling a lot of stress lately and every little "hiccup", every twit, every incident is felt a lot harder and more personally than it would have been a few years ago...

Wayne

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2005, 09:02:15 PM »
Dude, you need to rant, big time, I recommend finding someone that you trust either in real life or from here, and ranting your feelings out until one of the following happens: your fingers bleed, or you start to feel better.

Works for many people, including nutters like me!
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »
I had people I trusted in real life.  Didn't work out well for me.  

Also, don't mention fingers bleeding... please.  Very insensitive to make fun of the gimps, even if they're deserving of the attention.  

:)

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2005, 10:06:07 PM »
Then I recommend talking to someone you trust through the internet, you always said you and Tigger were close, perhaps he would be willing to sit down with you.

Though I would myself offer, I doubt seriously that you trust me even a fraction of the amount you'd need to get this stuff off you're chest, though I offer it regardless.

Sorry about the bleeding fingers crack - I completely forgot about that potato peeling incident ;-)
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2005, 12:13:24 AM »

Wayne wrote:
I apologize if anyone finds my responses insulting or otherwise a bit too "drama queen".

And there you were saying you didn't need Cecilias group hug :-)

C'mon now ol'buddy, don't be all bashful, now...

*stands with open arms*

:-)

Seriously though, it doesn't hurt to get stuff off your chest.
int p; // A

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2005, 03:00:27 AM »
You know what happens when you listen to Bagdad Bill??

you get a laugh! :lol:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2005, 09:46:03 AM »

Wayne wrote:
I had people I trusted in real life.  Didn't work out well for me.  

Also, don't mention fingers bleeding... please.  Very insensitive to make fun of the gimps, even if they're deserving of the attention.  

:)

You can borrow my sock if you like... I find it very comforting  :oops: