Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Genesi leaves MorphOS to its developers  (Read 5637 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: Genesi leaves MorphOS to its developers
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 16, 2005, 07:41:42 PM »
I would buy MorphOS for Mac Mini, if there was any compelling reason to do so.

To be frank, I'm not aware of it having any advantages, now, or even planned.

I would be glad to be corrected.  If it runs amiga software a little better...ok, for a few remaining amigans that would be good.

but I think people are talking in terms of an expanding market...so for the rest of the world, why should they bother?

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Genesi leaves MorphOs to its developers
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 08:41:55 PM »
@mdma

Good point about mos devs being quite in public. The thing is when you say things in 'public' in the amiga community you can get crucified for it..

Morphos Is Not Dead!

Many developers actively develop both the OS components and 3rd party apps/ports.

It has only been a couple of months, everyone is panicking. Did you all sell your Amiga's when CBM went bankrupt?

MOS started with no company and can continue with no company support.

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 09:15:45 PM »
MOS did start with no company..not until Company did it grow very rapidly.  Move MOS to the Mac.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline AmiXDel

• Show only replies by AmiXDel
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 05:13:55 AM »
Mac port PLEASE!!! this is awsome, good luck to the MorphOS team, your FREE!!! :)

BTW, did they ever bother to pay them for there work?

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 06:56:30 AM »
Mac port PLEASE!!!

This has always been a possibility. There didn't need to be a breakdown with Genesi for it to happen. Neko has talked about a MorphOS+game on a live CD for MacOS, for example, as a way to break into that market. But the Pegasos version has had priority. I imagine the reason a native port didn't happen so far is due more to an analysis of the prospects for viability than anything else. Why are the Hyperion guys also down on the idea of a Mac port of AmigaOS?

your FREE!!!

Uh, yeah. Free to give up coding time and energy to also do promotion and sales. And we all know what a public group those core MOS coders are, right? They'll love the opportunity to be out there making the flights, pressing the flesh and making the deals, for sure. ;-) Seriously, Genesi has spent a lot of time and energy getting MorphOS, along with the Pegasos, into the hands of big companies, getting industry exposure, attending Amiga shows in Europe and America (at least back when there was a sense that the market offered some opportunities), getting free and subsidized hardware and the OS to developers, and so on. I could be wrong but I believe I saw the figure of US$500,000 put into MOS development and promotion over the years (I imagine this includes Pegasos promotion where the two coincided). That the MOS developers are "free" now to take on this job on their own is a mixed blessing at best, I'd say.

Of course if there are opportunities that were formerly denied (though I don't know what they'd be) and now they can be grabbed, that's great. I'm really interested to see where they go from here. Keep in mind, though, that the BBRV "announcement" was titled "Brainstorming." I think it was more in the line of getting ideas rolling than an actual business proposal (which should be made directly to those involved).

did they ever bother to pay them for there work?

Partially, from what people have said. But it isn't clear what the payment arrangement was for MorphOS. Genesi says they have paid for what has been released, but won't pay for what has not been completed. I don't know if that's just an excuse not to pay for 1.5 'cause there's no money, or if there was an agreement that the payment would come when 1.5 was completed and released. AFAIK, nothing has been made public about the work agreements of the MOS developers or payment schedule, etc. for MorphOS.

-- gary_c

Offline Serpi

• Show only replies by Serpi
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005, 08:00:55 AM »
If it can run on the mini mac, I suspect that it can run on any newworld mac since they are OpenFirmware machines. ??

If it was only about OpenFirmware, MOS would already run on the Mac as the Pegasos has OpenFirmware too.
But this is not all, you still need drivers for the OS, so you need - more or less - drivers for every single Mac.

Ciao, Alfred

Offline Serpi

• Show only replies by Serpi
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005, 08:03:56 AM »
Neko has talked about a MorphOS+game on a live CD for MacOS

BBRV also talked about that, but I'm pretty sure that this should be a MOS version hosted on MacOS as I doubt that they will ever be able to write drivers for the hardware of every single Mac.

Ciao, Alfred

Offline AmiXDel

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005, 08:17:57 AM »
"If it was only about OpenFirmware, MOS would already run on the Mac as the Pegasos has OpenFirmware too.
But this is not all, you still need drivers for the OS, so you need - more or less - drivers for every single Mac."

I'd be happy with mere support for the Mac mini, the only mac the blue collar man can afford.

Offline chsedge

• Show only replies by chsedge
    • http://chsedge.redmartian.org
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »
anyway some of the mos chief developers owns stocks of bplan company that in fact is today connected to genesis, situation isn't clear. we don't know even the kind of licensing that genesis has on mos 1.4.

Offline NyQuil

• Show only replies by NyQuil
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 07:13:47 AM »
I'd gladly pay $200 for a Powerbook version of MOS. It'd be a dream come true.

Offline AmiXDel

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005, 08:36:39 PM »
Ya me too. I'd rather for out a coule hundred to support an OS, than to fork out over a thousand to support outdated, unknown, doomed to extintion hardware. :)