Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any interesting hobbies other than politics and the Amiga?  (Read 6434 times)

Description:

Any interesting hobbies other than politics and the Amiga?
« on: July 14, 2004, 03:22:40 AM »
Hey guys,

I was just wondering.  Does anyone here have any interesting hobbies (that can be mentioned in polite society) other than {bleep}ing about politics or the Amiga that they'd like to share with us?

I was just sitting here realizing that I have 18 different domain names, and while most of them are about the Amiga, some of them are about long-forgotten hobbies, such as DNDplayer.com -- which I've never really figured out what to do with, but it's always been such a cool domain name that I don't want to give it up...

I've also been soul searching recently, looking for that perfect hobby to distract me from all the problems that I'm facing.  (Kermit says I'm so stressed out that my mind is in hyper mode, so I'm looking for a distraction).  To that end, I've been looking for a new hobby recently.  

Forerunners for my convoluted attention span are

1) Taking private pilot lessons, but that's really prohibitively expensive, since you're talking about essentially four to five THOUSAND dollars (40 hours flight time, plus testing and certification).  On top of this, you'd have to either buy a plane, or rent it and fly one day per month (at $85 per hour) to keep up your qualifications, PLUS you have to carry your own private pilot's insurance, which I've heard some people comment can run 10k per year.  Definitely not for the poor hobbyist :(

2) Secondly, I recently ended up with a few previously viewed DVD's in the clear rental case (not very attractive).  I also HATE what they call "snapper cases" where the DVD cover is actually cardboard with the little black plastic "snapper strip" at the opening.  

So.....  In looking for a way to put all these movies on my video shelf in a presentable fashion, I've discovered the world of "custom DVD Cover art".  While the legality of putting together such items is the newest "gray area" where the MPAA is concerned, I figure a lot of Amiga users would LOVE this arena, since you get to play with artistic creation.   Essentially, you pick a movie, scour the net for high-res artwork, then cram it all together to create replacement DVD covers which are 3240x2175 at 300dpi (perfect size for printing).  

My question to each of you is, what do you enjoy when you're not {bleep}ing about the Amiga or politics (not necessarily in that order)?

Wayne

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Any interesting hobbies other than politics and the Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 03:32:31 AM »
... (that can be mentioned in polite society)

Not much. :P

what do you enjoy when you're not {bleep}ing about the Amiga or politics (not necessarily in that order)?
I enjoy reading, programming(still quite Amiga related), staring at girls on the train like some kind of old pervert(I feel weird when I do that, but who cares), golf, motorsport, hunting and fishing (but I haven't done either for about 4 years), Amiga, learning forreign language songs, watching 'Monkey', eating at the take-away place ... in a town somewhere, looking at chicks at the train stop, browsing through 'Next: Entertainment' in the local Public Library....

I enjoy lots of things! :-]

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 03:44:24 AM »
I also like BMW's, and McLaren F1's (the most beutiful car in the cosmos), and LGB trains (G scale).

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 04:36:46 AM »
Greetings,

Before the Miggys, I used to draw comic book of my own story of the 'Peanuts' Characters. I got to a point of thinking, what they would be if they grow at bit older(teen). My favorite artist at the time was Charles M. Shultz. Love his works and all. I used to draw my own comic of them on a yellow pad. Fun while it lasted.
I never thought of improving since I don't want to copy someone elses work and get my own characters someday. Maybe after I retire from this 8 - 5 job. It seem to suck the life out of my hobby times. Right now all I do is just surf and clean my miggy on day-offs, not much of a hobby at all.

Regards,

Gizz
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 04:50:12 AM »
Hi Wayne,

I've had ground school before but never had the cash for the behind the wheel part, It is expensive. I do like home audio/theatre stuff. Got into that when working on cars and home automation stuff. Cars are also cool,
Loved since I was a lad in around 1967 or so. Any electromechanical stuff is cool. Astronomy, also way cool,
 thinking of spending over a grand on a decent telescope. May move to Arizona. Nice clear sky.

Chris

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 07:02:34 AM »

Wayne wrote:
Does anyone here have any interesting hobbies (that can be mentioned in polite society) other than {bleep}ing about politics or the Amiga

Well, for the next few minutes, my hobby will be trying to figure out what the heck you just typed that the swear-bot turned into {bleep}ing!!

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 07:20:04 AM »

LGB trains (G scale).

HO scale here :-)
this space for rent

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 08:33:26 AM »
Cooking, graphical design, reading, and some drawing.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 09:03:06 AM »
Erm, I think I may have discussed my other big passion in the Mountain Biking thread.

My interests are varied, I'm very into fitness and either swim or gym daily (when not biking of course), plus I also enjoy reading and writing.  I'm in the middle of typing up my memoirs and sending them around to my mates for their criticisms and so far the feedback has been generally quite encouraging.

Like IAMA, I love cars too.  Currently I'm driving an Alfa 156 V6 which is a lot of fun despite ruinous fuel consumption and servicing costs.  
Cecilia for President

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 11:28:03 AM »
Photography, dogs, reading, foreign languages, travelling, jogging and walking, music (listening and sometimes singing/playing guitar) discussing all kinds of stuff with whoever will listen :-D

Strategy games when I get together with a particular group of mates. [Anyone heard of Axis and Allies?].

To be honest, I like everything, except TV, crap magazines and manufactured music.

edit: @ Wayne - how does photography or making film strike you?
I like Amigas

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 11:45:12 AM »
Scouting,
The rest differs from time to time
still wanna do some artsy stuff.
I also write a bit (no, I do not mean here on Aorg or any other forum, I mean, as in a book) but I do not put much effort in that lately
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 12:15:11 PM »
@ Wayne - how does photography or making film strike you?
Very expensive.  

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 12:49:40 PM »
Wieght-lifting and indoor soccer. ;-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 03:18:40 PM »
Scuba diving (though I've hardly done that this season! Friggin school!). Reading. SF, fantasy has largely lost it's interest for. There's so little creativity in that genre :-(. My most recent 'discovery'is China Mieville with Perdido Street Station. Other favourite authors include Greg Bear, Isaac Asimov (though not the Foundation books), Tad Williams (Otherland is amazing (and a loooooooooooooooooooooong read)) etc, etc. I keep wanting to get into last turn of the century horror/mystery/gothic books, however I hardly have time (make time?) to read anything other than stuff I need to read for my studies.

I'm planning on joining a horseriding club in September.

@wayne:
Oh about flying your own aircraft: I'd suggest you take another look at ULV/MLA aircraft :-).

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 03:20:12 PM »
PMC wrote:
My interests are varied, I'm very into fitness and either swim or gym daily (when not biking of course), plus I also enjoy reading and writing.  I'm in the middle of typing up my memoirs and sending them around to my mates for their criticisms and so far the feedback has been generally quite encouraging.

Eh? Memoirs? Are you already feeling that old? :-P