Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is the A2200 machine a hoax?  (Read 5834 times)

Description:

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
Re: Is the A2200 machine a hoax?
« on: February 03, 2006, 12:47:57 AM »
Every time I read a story like this or watch the Commodore Deathbed Vigil I get all nauseous thinking of the potential that Commodore had and the idiots that just let it all go to waste.

Everytime I think "What if Dave had gotten through to Commodore about producing and implementing the AAA chipset into the Amigas back in 1990" I get this really unpleasant feeling.

I think things would have evolved in an entirely different direction. Not that I do believe that the Amiga would have conquered the world, but I do think that it would have finally been looked upon as a "serious" computer and a serious competitor against the Mac and the PC (which it, in general, really never was looked upon as).

Sometimes I am even thinking, what if Commodore would have produced and released a low-cost cartridge based gaming-console in Japan, based upon the A500 technology. Could it have been a serious competitor against the NES and the SEGA Genesis? And, most important of all, would we have seen giants like Capcom, Konami and other developing their classic series of games for the Amiga? As a console it would have crushed ALL competition hardware wise, and developer-friendly it would have been to the extent of using ordinary Amiga computers (not that the Amiga ever was easy to develop games to) but maybe it wouldn't have been possible to reach a price that the market could deal with.

There's so many ifs and whys that I can't handle it. Commodore can't have had any real insight into promotion and what technology they actually held in their hands. They could have done so much right, but did so much wrong, to the extent that it is almost unbelievable.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
Re: Is the A2200 machine a hoax?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 06:39:08 PM »
The same thing happened with the Saturn and Playstation. Saturn versions of many PSX games were straight-through, barely operational ports, whereas 'native' Saturn games pulled some absolutely amazing tricks out of the (arguably superior but much harder to program) hardware.

Well, considering that games like Burning Rangers for the Saturn even found a way to use the sound CPU to render transparencies, its pretty safe to say much could have been done if the system had been explored a bit past its, way too early, bitter end. Just look at Radiant Silvergun, now that is magic (even though it still would have been very doable on a PSX).

The main problem was with the support CPU's as far as I've heard (in a way a bit like the new PS3 is designed). The programmers didn't really know how to make the code make use of them in an efficient way, and thus the code often fell back on executing most instructions on the main CPU. Just like all the worthless Atari ST ports appearing on the Amiga early on which didn't make use of the Amigas native chipsets (oooooh, holy hell, do I miss smooth scrolling on many many many many Amiga games, even games that were coded directly for the Amiga). Oh well.

But... since I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about here I will not say more.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.