Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is the A2200 machine a hoax?  (Read 5838 times)

Description:

Offline DamageX

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
Re: Is the A2200 machine a hoax?
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:37:02 AM »
Sometimes I am even thinking, what if Commodore would have produced and released a low-cost cartridge based gaming-console in Japan, based upon the A500 technology. Could it have been a serious competitor against the NES and the SEGA Genesis? And, most important of all, would we have seen giants like Capcom, Konami and other developing their classic series of games for the Amiga? As a console it would have crushed ALL competition hardware wise, and developer-friendly it would have been to the extent of using ordinary Amiga computers (not that the Amiga ever was easy to develop games to) but maybe it wouldn't have been possible to reach a price that the market could deal with.

An NES has the CPU, PPU, 4KB of SRAM, and not much else, I don't think a cutdown A500 could come close to that price. Then the sprite capabilities of an A500 are well below what the PC-Engine or Megadrive could do. Japan was littered with home computers at that time also, and I think the manufacturing technology was generally better than what Commodore had (my Sony MSX2 has a 100-pin SMD with .3mm wide pins). Amiga did have some fans over there though