Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Available To Buy  (Read 36638 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Available To Buy
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;638423
This product is like a broken pencil...

? I don't understand your metaphor.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;642965
@Nearly-Right

If I were a gambling man (which I'm not, but let's pretend otherwise), I would wager you wouldn't buy OS4.1 for classic if it came with hand-tested-by-Darren-himself-and-guaranteed-compatible expansions and personally installed by Carl Moppet all at no extra charge :)

First you complain there is no decent information on supported expansions. Then a compiled list is provided. Then you complain it's not "official", which fair enough, it isn't, but the guy providing it has been testing 4.1 classic since day zero, so it is as good as you would get from any of the developers. Then you complain that some of the available information is ambiguous and needs further clarification, which he goes off to try and find out about. No matter what the guy writes or how much he goes out of his way to answer your questions, your posts fall back onto everything being a disgrace, taking too long etc. and for all the overtures to applauding his effort, you just end up back at square one. I'm personally waiting for the Elbox intra-card DMA issue to resurface as soon as you get bored of making Darren run around answering your questions.

Let's be totally open and honest here. You got your fingers burnt with 4.0 classic and there's no way you are going to buy 4.1 classic on principal. I totally get it, it's not as if you are the only person that feels that way. However, for anybody else, 4.1 classic is available, supports more hardware than 4.0 classic did and a growing list of confirmed working expansions exists, officially sanctioned or not, the information is available and improving for anybody contemplating it.

Thanks Karlos,

This is the one application for OS4.1 I'm actually interested in.

BTW - Where the A1 benchmarks (as you can see I'm not a patient man)?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
Quote from: lsmart;643033
Hey hey! I have never had any Hardware fail on me, well except for two of my Macs. But then it´s a MorphOS problem, isn´t it?

Of course not. That's an Ismart problem with his Apple produced hardware.
MorphOS can not be blamed (and my Mac's running smoothly while running on a third party CPU).

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »
Has anyone tried to mount a 604ev on a CSPPC (in place of the standard 604e)?
Apple used these (referred to as 'Mach5' processor) in some early Mac model. They had speeds up to 400Mhz with some users overclocking to 450Mhz.
Could be a good boost for OS4.1 classic.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:24:44 AM »
Wow! Its nice to know that OS4 users are faced with a similar dilemma.
MorphOS doesn't have that many modern printer drivers either (although it does have better support then OS4).
Which leave users of both our OS' scrambling to find Postscript compatible laser printers.
Not a bad solution, but somewhat limited.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;649279
I'm not going to read this thread for a while, as I feel it (Classic OS4.1) is a real letdown, both price, features, and usability, and until/if it changes I won't be considering buying it.

It should be an upgrade for Classic OS4.0 users, and it's a disgrace it isn't.

Many of us who bought Classic OS4.0, I dare say, won't forget the awful experience we went through, well I certainly won't, for our cherished computer the Amiga for some considerable time to come.

I think you're being a little hard on the OS. Yes, it still has some rough edges, but the fact that an OS for hardware this old is still being actively developed is pretty amazing.