Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Available To Buy  (Read 36637 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Available To Buy
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 18, 2011, 12:27:31 AM »
BTW, Hyperion just opened official support forums:

Article about it here:

http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/06/hyperion-opens-official-support-forums/
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline HammerD

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 02:36:18 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;645976
Now that's about time, but I'm surely appreciative also ;)

I've got a feeling some pestering to Hyperion has been going on, maybe by you Darren? :D If so, I'm doubly grateful

Actually the Forums were not my idea - credit Hyperion, Hans-Joerg Frieden, and Steven Solie for that.  It's part of the wider strategy to improve communications with the user base.

I did do some poking and prodding to get them up relatively quickly, though :)

Since you are a owner of AmigaOS 4.0 Classic you should register.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline HammerD

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
Nearly-Right, it was reported by Harald the new Elbox beta drivers are working in his setup.  He said some colour problems on the Radeon (he didn't specify), but this may mean now that you can use all the Elbox drivers, including the RTL8139 and SB128.  Of course they will be 68K drivers and not PPC native, but they may work.

This is what he said on http://www.a1k.org:  (translated)

Sun Hi together,

I have the BETA drivers from here Elbox installed and followed the installation instructions exactly.

Radeon card works now!

Who needs the driver and the guide, which can feel free to contact me!I am sending this to then!As I said this is still BETA!

We have to test it.There are still some false color in messages but we'll get it yet!

Greeting

Harald

The link to the thread is here:

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?p=437289#post437289

Offline HammerD

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 02:30:00 AM »
Hi Nearly-Right, I have some Ethernet speed tests done if you are interested:

http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/07/ethernet-adapter-speeds-amigaos-3-9-and-amigaos-4-1-classic/

Shows you the difference between the RTL 8029, RTL 8139...

Offline HammerD

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
Quote from: mechy;648370
Great test, i wonder if using a xsurf on zorro gets simular w/o the cpu overhead? i have the patched os4 x-surf driver if u need it?

Mech

I don't have an X-Surf... :(

Offline HammerD

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 04:01:35 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;648369
Off Topic:

Interesting results with TLSFMem, I never expected it generated such a boost on network performance.

Yep, i wouldn't have thought so either, but the results proved me wrong :)  

Overall a noticable speedup.  Using the MAPROM option also gave a boost of about 150KB/sec (but that is already included in the tests).

Offline HammerD

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;648419
OK, checked those out, and as others have commented, interesting results, and seems to bear out what you've said about the not so noticeable speed increase of a should-be-faster RTL8139 NIC over the RTL8029 NIC.

Yes, I guess that is the point I was trying to get across.  While you could see some speed up on a RTL8139 vs a RTL8029, it's not a massive difference.  The Classic systems just don't have the horse power to drive the cards that much faster.  So to me it's not a big deal at all.

Is there a confirmation on anyone actually being able to use a SOLO soundcard in an A1200 under Classic OS4.1?

Carl Moppett and several other beta testers had SOLO-1 cards working on A1200 systems.  I can tell you though, the SOLO-1 is a very "heavy" card on the PCI bus.  While you don't see it in the CPU usage any worse than Paula, it "feels" like it slows the system down because it's PCI Bus utilization seems to be very high.  And yes, we worked with the developer to optimize the driver as much as we could, but it didn't improve it much.   My recommendation is to use Paula sound, or if you want, route Paula through a Soundblaster 128 card which some users have successfully done and they say it sounds better.

But Paula can sound quite good too - if you put a good set of speakers and an AMP connected to Paula, it can sound fantastic and is the lowest CPU-usage solution.   I wouldn't get hung up on the SOLO-1 either.  Yes, you can play full quality 16-bit stereo sound out of it, but there is a CPU usage penalty.  The guide for using a Soundblaster 128 routed through Paula is here:

http://www.hd-zone.com/2011/06/using-a-soundblaster-128-in-amigaos-4-x-classic/

Another user has successfully used a Sil3114 4 port SATA card, but in an A4000, but I have an A1200, and need to know that such a card will work in an A1200 running Classic OS4.1, so can you confirm it is usable in an A1200?

I can't as I don't have that hardware.  Your best bet is to go through AmigaKit which has a test system setup and has been stocking PCI cards for AmigaOS 4.1 Classic.  The bottom line is with the 100's of variants of PCI cards out there you can never be 100% sure until the card is actually tested in your machine.

AmigaKit does list a SATA 4 port card that works with AmigaOS 4.1 Classic.  Follow up with them for A1200 support:  http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1042

Anything sorted out with the problematic Radeon cards under Classic OS4.1, the latest ones from Elbox?

It's on the radar for testing this, but it may be that those cards will never work.  The x86 bios emulator that inits the Radeon cards does not work with all cards.  Again there are 100's of possible variants and BIOS revisions out there.  Elbox changed the cards they are shipping to end users.  During development of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic we tested at least three different Radeon cards purchased directly from Elbox, and they worked.  But now it seems they ship a different card from a different vendor and it doesn't work.  Again you'll have to find a card that works and AmigaKit is again stocking them.  The Sapphire card has been tested and is known to work.  They pop up on eBay frequently.  One is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAPPHIRE-RADEON-9250-PCI-64MB-64-BIT-DVI-VGA-TV-/170651814174?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27bba4091e#ht_857wt_1139

Any news on a working driver for the Blizzard SCSI as yet?

Not as of yet.  The developer that has volunteered to work on it is still busy as far as I know.

Has anyone reported back, who has been sent the version 10.x of the pci.library for the Mediator, as to whether it allows any more of the original PCI hardware supported under OS3.9 to actually function under Classic OS4.1?

Not that I have seen, other than some  users have the Radeon working with Elbox's driver.  However you lose 3D support and compositing and access to all of the Radeon's memory.  It's still a 68k driver and not properly written to use AmigaOS 4.1's PCI sub-system - it uses it's own, so it's not compatible with the above mentioned features.

I believe HJF has given this method of accessing the PCI system on a Mediator the 'thumbs-down', but is there any way to implement/incorporate such a driver directly into the Classic OS4.x without clashing with the PPC OS PCI driver/sub-system?

Not without re-doing kernel support and the entire PCI sub-system and memory arrangement which I don't think is going to happen.  Based on the fact the RTL 8139 is really not that much faster, the Solo-1 not that optimal of a card, and there is a way to use the Soundblaster 128 for a single sound card solution, I doubt Hyperion is willing to rip up the current kernel to implement any dma-hack solution (The Mediator is NOT a DMA device in itself).

I just want to say that I appreciate your questions and critiques of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic, but you primarily compare it against AmigaOS 4.0 which I don't think is fair, and also AmigaOS 3.x which has had 20 years of a healthy and active developer community to tweak and optimize it.  (Sadly we don't have a healthy developer community anymore - we are lucky to have the active developers that still work on our 20+ year old Amigas as it stands).

AmigaOS 4.1 Classic is an entirely new product, with a new kernel, new drivers, new memory system, and has improved and expanded 3D support, only to mention a few things.  In my opinion Hyperion, the developers, and the beta testers have done a superb job on it.  

One has to also consider the size of the available market for this product - it's probably far less than 1000 users.  We have to balance the potential sales with the development costs and feature set.  For my personal view that less than 1000 units will sell, I think it's a very good product for what you get, and it's been stated by Hyperion it will be supported with Update 3 enhancements.

Maybe it's best you see it in action personally from someone in the UK who has it.  And by all means if you are not happy with it don't buy it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:47:18 PM by HammerD »

Offline HammerD

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;648359
I got one, which is a 4 port card, from the link below, but mine cost a little less, and came boxed with 2 serial leads, and a driver CD for Windows.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180679640079

I see your SATA card is a 4 port card. I'm glad to hear someone is using that chipset of SATA card successfully, even though it's maybe slightly limited, but basically that's great news, my only reservation is that you are using it in an A4000, which is better supported/more compatible with Classic OS4.1 than the A1200 version as there seems to be no way to implement wait states, which maybe one of the problems with compatability, but I'd like to hear from Carl Moppett as he is supposed to have a SATA card working in his A1200 Classic OS4.1 setup.

Update - Fitzsteve got his SATA card working.  He had an incorrect jumper setting on his Mediator 1200.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;648519
Why has that factor not been made crystal clear before now?

Who would want a system that just doesn't respond well, merely due to installing a PCI soundcard!

Beat's me, but other PCI cards don't exhibit this problem or behaviour.  It must be something specific to the SOLO-1 chipset(s).   It works.  On A1200 and A4000.  But I personally still prefer to use Paula.  Others may not.

If I remember correctly, the SOLO soundcard was released when 486 PC systems were still available, Microsoft Windows 95 & NT, so it would have been a card that worked in a slower PC system, and even now it can't be made to work invisibly/unnoticeably &/or better and faster in a more multi-tasking operating environment with a faster PPC CPU. Something seems not quite right there.

No idea, I didn't write the driver. Considerable time was spent to try to optimize it with limited success.  Anyway, it does work and produce 16-bit sound.   Processing sound even on the fastest 060 Amiga system has always been CPU-intensive.   This is nothing new.

I had Paula when I had no choice and before the Mediator came along, but now I should revert back to it, because there's basically no soundcard support, DUH!!

Well up to you, but I personally have always liked the sound Paula has generated, especially when hooked up to good speakers. To me it sounds great.

Wow, that's great, but what about the recording facilities that a soundcard offers that the basic Paula chip doesn't offer?

I've personally never had a requirement/need for recording.

It's like making excuses because the underlying kernel doesn't work to accomodate the Classic hardware to allow a hybrid form of DMA that most PCI cards seem to need.

DMA is not going to buy you much. I've already demonstrated marginal if any performance difference between a RTL 8029 and RTL8139 card.  Paula sound works great, the Solo-1 card works.  You re not going to get much better with a SB128 (which I've also demonstrated you can use...)

The Mediator was around long before any Classic OS4.x was released. So it's not like its method of operating was not known about as Elbox are on the betatesters list with Hyperion, so that 'hack' could have been incorporated/modified to make it system legal, and blend into the OS, or a workaround implemented and supported, if that's possible, so that Elbox could offer more PCI support to Hyperion for use with Classic OS4.x.

I don't know why you keep harping on this.  The DMA hack is not going to be implemented by Hyperion, period.  ELbox is working on their own drivers that are sort of working now, with their version 10 pci.library.  It may be that you can get your DMA hack, but it will come with a cost of losing access to the full memory of the Radeon and also 3D and hardware compositing support (unless Elbox implements that)...

That's the power of PCI in a Classic Amiga system, not this barely supported piece of software called Classic OS4.1, that doesn't support even the basics of PCI hardware - SOUND.

Solo-1 works, SB128 can be used to route sound for a single card solution. Paula works...

But hey, guess what, if you spend £100 you can upgrade to what appears to be the very first backward stepped Amiga OS, brilliant .... NOT
Who's spending 100 pounds? Certainly not you so why are you complaining?  You spent money on AmigaOS 4.0 Classic and if you didn't like it why didn't you ask for a refund?

I appreciate you being helpful with all the support you've given to the latest Classic OS4.1, and I really mean that. I also am grateful for you being honest about the hardware, and its limitations, but frankly this is not a good feature of the somewhat limited or as I like to call it a non-Operating system.

You can call it whatever you want.  I don't agree with most of what you complain about.  For me I like AmigaOS 4.1 Classic, I use it every day, and it works for what it is.  It's the best version of the OS for me to use on my Classics.  Yes, I still dual boot with AmigaOS 3.9, but for me AmigaOS 4.1 Classic is way better out of the box, supports all the PCI cards I use and performs good enough all things considered.  I am happy with it and content in the fact it will be supported in future AmigaOS updates.  

You aren't happy and that's your call.

I've already asked them, in this thread, and via their own website support forum, and email/contacts, but I haven't had a reply from them as yet.

Will be interesting to know if you do or not...

I've already got one, or maybe even 2 or 4 of those Sapphire 9250 cards, but I'm hoping my Radeon 9200 256MB card will work, as it is one of the older versions of those cards, so from what you've said I'm optimistic - but I haven't committed to Classic OS4.1 as yet, as I'm still not convinced it's worth it.

The Sapphire Radeon cards will work.  That has already been verified.

Unless the hardware (Mediator PCI) gets better supported under Classic OS4.1 I'll be staying with OS3.9, as it seems it will support much more functionality than I'd ever get with Classic OS4.1 as it stands at present.

At least from Hyperion you aren't going to get the DMA hack as there is not enough justification to do it.  You may get it anyway with Elbox drivers at a cost as I outlined above.

I'm having to write this message via my Windows XP PC, as IBrowse, my favourite Amiga browser has not been updated, as I'd hoped it would, and so the display under Classic browsers is not so well presented with modern web systems. So I use Firefox, which is the next best browser IMHO, well in fact it may even be a lot better than IBrowse overall, seeing as development with IBrowse has been inactive for sometime now, and to all intents and purposes seems to have been abandoned.

For IBrowse 2.5 beta, you have to ask the Author/owner of the software if that will ever come out...

Even then my Windows system cost me £20 for the OS (XP Pro), and £10 for the Motherboard, and £5 for the CPU, with some RAM already on board (1GB). In total my PC setup cost me about half the cost of what Amiga Classic OS4.1 would cost me if I was to pay for it, but it's not got the functionality I need, it's as simple as that - the figures just don't add up to make it economical or ergonomical for me to take the plunge and buy Classic OS4.1.

This statement is true for  the Amiga in general.  It is not specific to AmigaOS 4.1 Classic.  Amiga has never been cheap, especially the add-on hardware accelerators.

I really dislike the idea of not buying Classic OS4.x for the Amiga, but I just don't see any benefit at this stage.

Well then don't buy it.  No one is forcing you.

OK that's understood, but that's another factor not to buy Classic OS4.1 - no Blizzard SCSI support.

We had one developer volunteer to do it, but it's volunteering so we have to be patient.

That's something I'm still not sure is usable in Classic OS4.1 - can the RAM on board the Radeon be mapped into the system FastRAM, as it can be using OS3.9 and Elbox's pci.library? So a Blizzard with a fully populated RAM of 256MB, can add some or most of the RAM to make it up to virtually 1/2GB of FastRAM under Classic OS4.1.

It would be too slow to be usable.  We tested the ZorRAM in this capacity and it is up to 10X slower than Blizzard or Cyberstorm PPC ram and slows down the PPC too much.

So tell me, what fundamentally has changed in Classic OS4.1 compared to Classic OS4.0?

There is lots of information on this on the web, I need not go into it here, but just to name a few things all you have to do is go to the AmigaOS 4 wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS_4#AmigaOS_4.1

For AmigaOS 4.1 Classic you add:

Improved bootloader with large table MMU support
Updated kernel offering increased stability in low memory conditions
Support for virtual memory via harddisk paging
ZororRAM and DKB 3128 support as memory pagers
Improved Mediator support with Radeon 9200 and 9250 using up to 256MB of video memory (correct voltage graphics card required)
Support for PCI sound card (ESS SOLO-1 based cards);
Warp3D  hardware acceleration support for Radeon, Voodoo 3/4/5 and Cybervision / Blizzardvision PPC (stable beta version for Permedia2-based cards)
DDC automatic monitor detection for Radeon and Voodoo 3
Hardware compositing engine (Radeon only) with software fall-back
Native FastATA driver support
Native SATA hard disk support via Silicon Image chipsets

Because, quite frankly I still see it as an update, an extensive one for the graphics system, but I don't see what other hardware has really been supported, apart from SATA cards, and there seem to be a few workarounds that have to be manually altered by the user once the OS has been installed, such as for the Deneb/Poseidon.

I see it as a totally new OS.