Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 rollout schedule  (Read 16947 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
Re: OS4 rollout schedule
« on: June 18, 2003, 01:45:41 AM »
@Dietmar

I don't think Hyperion was asking any one to "purchase permission" as you say, just that they uphold their copy protection scheme as it were.  

What if the Pegasos had the ability to bypass the Windows copy protection scheme?  Do you think that if they sent a free board to Microsoft that would give Microsoft any incentive to port it?  No. I'm guessing Bill Gates would be like,"You want me to port my OS and anyone can copy it because your board doesn't allow my software to be protected.  Wouldn't that mean I'll sell exactlly 1 copy? Suuurrrreee....I'll get my people right on that."

Peg users,"Yep that's right, but what if we promise no one will pirate it?"

In the background- BBRV yelling,"Tell Gates if he doesn't port it we'll find someone to get that WinXP running on this thing with out that stupid key code or product registration crap!"

But since BBRV wants the Pegasos to have the ablity to run OS4 with out a copy protection scheme, Hyperion should gladly do it?

Sure.

AmigaGuy
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
Re: OS4 rollout schedule
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 02:11:39 AM »
@logain

The way I see it there are 2 choices Hyperion could use for their copy protection.

1. A Key that is written on a piece of paper distributed with each copy of OS4

or

2. A hardware key that is distributed on the motherboard with each copy of OS4.(motherboards that don't come with OS4 don't have to have it)

Genisi isn't willing to include the key as they want it to run with out the key.  How is that ANY different (if OS4 used the 1st method of protection) then them just sending out a piece of paper with ONE key code on it to everyone buying a Peg that doesn't even come with OS4, just so people can pirate it?

AmigaGuy
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.