Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 rollout schedule  (Read 16906 times)

Description:

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
Re: OS4 rollout schedule
« on: June 17, 2003, 06:34:07 PM »
@HyperionMP:
A couple of comments above say that 68K emulation needs to be completed.  I was under the impression that OS4 will not use the 68K CPU at all, just the PPC emulating the 68K as necessary (hence no context switches etc).  Which is it?

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 01:15:53 AM »
@TMHG:
I agree with pretty much all you're saying, I think that AmigaOS4 on the Peg would be a Good Thing (tm).  I also think that a port to the Peg 1 at least should not be too hard (Peg 2 could be a completely different beast though).  The biggest problem is one of licensing.  If Hyperion sells OS4 for the Peg, they will be in breach of contract with AInc, who says that they are only allowed to sell OS4 to ppl who signed up for a license.  I think that BenH probably wants to sell as many copies of OS4 as possible, but I doubt he'll willingly breach his contract to do so.

Offline CodeSmith

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 07:50:29 AM »
Ben Hermans has already said that they have set things up so that if AInc goes under, they automatically get the rights to AmigaOS (or rather, they get the exclusive right to call any OS they make "AmigaOS").    If Bill Buck really wants OS4 on the Pegasus, then a good litmus test for AInc's imminent death will probably be him making friendly gestures towards Hyperion.