Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ebook readers: are they useful (worth buying)?  (Read 1715 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: Ebook readers: are they useful (worth buying)?
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 17, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »
I lost my job as a printing press operator because of ebooks!!!

Just kidding it was more for stupid business decisions than anything. I think ebooks have their place. I have seen a few ebooks devices that I like a real lot, but I haven't gotten one yet. I have used ebook readers on my laptop, my wife's blackberry and my palm and they work really well.

If ebook devices are durable enough, and secure enough, I think they could replace books. I like paper as much as anyone, and I spent 15 years printing on it, but ebooks can be as portable, more durable, waterproof etc.

If the ebook setup is similar to steam or something like that if you lose your device you simply download a new copy. This makes the concept more secure in that way, I can't get additional copies of my paper books without paying full retail, for new.

Amazons problem with copyright on one book caused them to remove that book from peoples devices, but those problems will be ironed out in the future, this is still a new concept for a lot of people. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090717/1559425587.shtml
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:34:25 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;558401
I do a lot of my reading on the throne, so not sure if a touch screen e book would be agood idea, especially if i dropped it into the bowl.  And besides I prefer the user interface of a real book, very intuitive and real time.

ewww!

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 12:24:59 AM »
In 2000 I picked up a Rocket EBook which was the first of the ebooks available.  I read quite a few books on it, and had a few magazine subscriptions.  Ultimately it got stored after a couple of years use...

I pulled it out recently and tried to recharge the battery...no go. Couldn't find a new one (or NOS) either.  My books, which were stored by the owners of the Rocket, were lost when the company folded.  The good news, it will hold a charge  for an hour or so and you can upload any PDF file.

I'm currently using it to read Jim Butterfield's Machine Language for 64 book.

I don't think I'll ever buy a single-function ebook again.  However, the iPad looks like the best alternative these days.