Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello my first Thread  (Read 6262 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Hello my first Thread
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »
Quote from: A4000_Mad;597028
I saved for years to get a CSPPC to go in an A4000 and then waited more years for OS4 to finally come out. I would be shocked and surprised if it couldnt be talked about here at A.org of all places :(

You can talk about OS4 here, I have done so in the recent past and still say OS4.0 is slower than my grannie on a bad day taking her one legged tortoise for a walk... :)

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
Quote from: Franko;597031
You can talk about OS4 here, I have done so in the recent past and still say OS4.0 is slower than my grannie on a bad day taking her one legged tortoise for a walk... :)

Well that's a relief Franko :) I think that was my first ever post ending with a sad smilie. I was here cheering with everyone else as the countdown to OS4's release was underway and hoping that my copy was next in the post from AmigaKit. I don't know if those threads still exist after the change over, but they were very exciting times :)

Oh, and tell your grannie to just glue the tortoise to a roller-skate ;)

:drink:
A4000 Mad

Offline Franko

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
Quote from: A4000_Mad;597032
Oh, and tell your grannie to just glue the tortoise to a roller-skate ;):

Ah cannay she's been deed fur aboot 30 years and tortie passed oan aboot six years ago (he made a nice ashtray though... :))

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;597025
Nonsense. It's fine to talk about OS4, just don't expect everybody to share your enthusiasm for it. The only points to note is that the Operating Systems Specific Discussions section does not have an OS 4.x specific sub-forum (actually, there is a one for 4.x compatible hardware discussion). AmigaOS is considered to be everything from 1.x to 4.x inclusive. Likewise, MorphOS is not split into 1.x / 2.x sub-forums and AROS is not split into distro-specific sub-forums.

I really wish it was nonsense....anyhow I hope the OP finds my comment to be nonsense too
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Franko;597031

time to upgrade from that 2MB of Ram, pre-release of OS4.0 and make the poor tortoise a go-kart:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 08:51:40 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;597043
I really wish it was nonsense....anyhow I hope the OP finds my comment to be nonsense too

Well, in my experience it is. There's no amiga.org bias to/against OS4, MorphOS, AROS or classic. Any perceived bias is merely a reflection of us, site members. Discussion of any and all is welcome.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;597045
time to upgrade from that 2MB of Ram, pre-release of OS4.0 and make the poor tortoise a go-kart:)

Blizzard060/PPC 60Mhz/240Mhz 256MB RAM Full OS4.0 including the one and only update, RESULT = One dead grannie & one dead tortoise (both still more useful & faster than OS4.0)... ;)

Offline tone007

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
Quote from: Franko;597052
Blizzard060/PPC 60Mhz/240Mhz 256MB RAM Full OS4.0 including the one and only update, RESULT = One dead grannie & one dead tortoise (both still more useful & faster than OS4.0)... ;)

I was almost ready to go and buy a copy for my (currently) non-RTG A1200, but if it's really that bad I might pass.  I wonder if they ever put out a demo version.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Franko

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »
Quote from: tone007;597053
I was almost ready to go and buy a copy for my (currently) non-RTG A1200, but if it's really that bad I might pass.  I wonder if they ever put out a demo version.

Your far better off with the dead grannie & tortoise option, bit smelly but much more fun... :)

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »
Quote from: tone007;597053

I'd say thats exactly the reason why there is no demo version....

@templario

The reason why you ended up restricted on that other side is that your english is just good enough to encourage severe misunderstandings (your orginal comment surely looked like a not-so-clever attempt at trolling). Now that was bad enough, but calling another user a facist should have gotten yourself more than just one week (atleast in my book).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »
On the flip side of the coin, I've used OS4.0 on the same 240MHz 603 with 256MB, motherboard IDE and basic PCMCIA network and just vanilla AGA.

It works fine provided that you apply the same common sense you do to 3.x and remember that just because you are now using a CPU with up to 5-10x the clock speed of your 68K, your native chipset is no faster than it ever was:

1) You stick to the same rules you use for native displays that you do under 3.x. That is to say, don't use 256 colour dblPAL modes and the like. I ran a flicker-fixed 16-colour PAL laced display and it was fine.
2) Turn off all the gradient fills and related candy. They are designed for RGB mode displays. Hence they don't look so hot on a 16 colour display anyway and they do slow down rendering.
3) Turn off solid window moving/sizing. AGA/ECS is no faster than it was under 3.x.
4) Don't use anti-aliased fonts, for the same reason as (2).
5) Replace the default 4.x RGBA icon set with icons from 3.x. Again, they are designed for real RGB displays, not indexed colour modes on planar hardware.

If you apply these simple steps, you will find that far from being as slow as a tortoise, it's perfectly usable. OS4 cannot make your AGA display go faster and the default installation is heavily biased towards RTG.

Of course, just like OS3.x, the experience on RTG is much improved.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 10:29:38 PM »
@ Karlos

I tried those setting as you'd already explained them in an earlier post, but honestly it was still way too slow for me. It's just my own personal opinion on OS4.0, if other folk want to give it a try then don't be put off by my opinion, give it a try at least then decide. :)

Biggest gripe I have with OS4.0 is Hyperion released it, I bought it brand new, then they only ever released one update for it before abandoning all support for it after only a few months... :(

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
I'm not disputing your experience of it, I'm just providing some balance. Those settings worked fine for me, 256 colours / solid moving / gradient filled / antialias font / ARGB icon stuff made the system very slow. Ditching those, corrected the problem.

Other things that may help are editing the kicklayout to remove unwanted modules and using SFS rather than FFS, but I don't know if that applies to your situation or not.

I certainly dispute the claim it was as fast as a "chip ram only" machine that you made previously, I mean if that's not exaggeration then there had to be something seriously wrong somewhere. Running 3.x my 040 on just chip ram is insanely slow.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 10:43:13 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;597090
I'm not disputing your experience of it, I'm just providing some balance. Those settings worked fine for me, 256 colours / solid moving / gradient filled / antialias font / ARGB icon stuff made the system very slow.

I certainly dispute the claim it was as fast as a "chip ram only" machine that you made previously, I mean if that's not exaggeration then there had to be something seriously wrong somewhere. Running my 040 on just chip ram is insanely slow.

Before I tried the settings you gave I stick by my chipram statement, the settings you give does improve the speed to a reasonable level, but still too slow for my liking.

Think I'm so used to running a highly optimised set up under OS3.5 on the 060 side that anything seems slow in comparison... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 10:57:08 PM »
Try running your 68K only setup without any PPC datatypes, media players or anything like that. You may have gotten used to your PPC doing some of the lifting in the background that you forgot about.
int p; // A

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 04, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
I remember my first thread....