Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from Finland!  (Read 2261 times)

Description:

Offline JamppaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jamppa
Hello from Finland!
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:27:28 AM »
Hi!

Well, finally i've been able to log into this site! Been trying for a few days but now the admins seem to have finally accepted that i'm not a spambot!

Anyhow, i'm really excited about the A600 i recently bought from ebay, which arrived in the post yesterday - Had alot of fun playing Cannon Fodder last night when the kids went to bed!

So, about me - had both the A600HD and A1200 from ages 12 to 16. Really stupid of me to sell the A1200 in '96, but needed the cash. Not quite sure where the A600 went, possibly traded it in for the A1200. Everybody seems to say the same thing but it's so true that they don't make games like they did for the Amiga!

I'm planning to really upgrade the thing, hopefully even connect to the internet? I'm hoping someone is going to help me out a bit with all the things i'll need to buy?

Anyhow, very happy to be here - GURU MEDITATION TO ALL!!

-Jamppa

Offline Rob

Re: Hello from Finland!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:46:12 AM »
Hello and welcome.

The 600 even when expanded is probably too slow for browsing the web but it could be worth getting a PCMCIA network card so you can transfer files between it and a PC or browse aminet directly from the A600.

AmigaKit is a good source of hardware and they have both wireless and wired network cards that will work with your A600, these also include the software you'll need.

If you seriously want an expanded Amiga it's probably better to start out with  another A1200, but be prepared to spend a lot of money on upgrades.  50Mhz 68060 card for example are now selling for upwards of £200, with 68030 cards often selling for more than £100.

Hopefully sometime in the future Natami will offer an alternative to old hardware with loads of 3rd party boards hanging off it.

Offline zipper

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:12:12 AM »

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »
Thanks!

Well internet access is not entirely necessary since we have PC's for that but, I thought it would be amusing if friends happened to be visiting and if they asked to check their email, only to be confronted by my A600!

Yes, i've been browsing the AmigaKit website and from what I can make out, the first thing start off with would be to install a Kickstart 3.1 ROM chip? add some extra memory (i've already checked the trap door - nothing to report), install a hard drive (any suggestions/size etc?), then possibly update the OS. Have I missed something? How about the OS, do you know if I can install OS3.9 or should I just go for the latest version? (which is...?). Regarding the extra RAM, is there anywhere else you can put it other than the trapdoor? From what I can remember the trapdoor allowed a 1MB expansion, is there any larger ones I can put there? and is it necessary to install anymore than an extra 1MB?
Quite interesting that the prices for the hardware are just as expensive as they were in '94!

Offline AmiBoy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:16:40 AM »
Welcome to A.org!
Escom A1200, Power Tower, OS3.9 & BB2, HD-Floppy drive, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Tuner Card, 10/100MBit Ethernet card, Apollo 68060 66MHz with 64MB, 9.5Gig HD and 52xCDRom

Also one spare unworking bare A1200

!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:21:59 AM »
!

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:42:07 AM »
If you want to update the OS, I would stay with 3.1 unless you have accelerator in A600, which you probably don't have or get easily :) 3.5/9 are bit heavier and memory hungry compared to it.

Extra memory is needed if you want to do anything more "serious". There's new 8M expansion around, which sounds to work well. http://lvd.nedopc.com/Projects/a600_8mb_2/index.html

For exapmle for networking 1 or 2 MB is bit too limited. You can do basic filesharing etc, but most GUI based softwares would need more memory.

PCMCIA network cards are cheap and easy way to get it connected. Wireless cards need 3.1, but cards with wires will work even on standard non expanded a600.

Prices were low about 5-8 years ago, but then they've insanely gone up :P So.. it seems Amigas have been an investment rather than waste of money as PC people used to say.. and how much is their HW worth for now ;)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline zipper

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »
Another good site besides this:
http://eab.abime.net/

...and welcome of course :idea:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:05 AM »
@Jamppa

How about the OS, do you know if I can install OS3.9 or should I just go for the latest version? (which is...?).

You can not install 3.9 on vanilla A600. 68000 is too weak for 3.9 and you also need more memory and a CD-ROM to install the OS. It is better stay with 3.1 and if you want 3.9 go for A1200 which has better accelerators.

and is it necessary to install anymore than an extra 1MB?

More the merrier but finding expansion boards for A600 is difficult.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »

pVC wrote:

Extra memory is needed if you want to do anything more "serious". There's new 8M expansion around, which sounds to work well. http://lvd.nedopc.com/Projects/a600_8mb_2/index.html

I had a look at the site (and link to the shop) and it sounds interesting. Have you personally installed one? was it/do you know if it's difficult? If so, how long did you have to wait for it to arrive? Forgive me for the stupid question but what's the difference between a fully populated board and an unpopulated one?

Offline utri007

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »
Katsoppas täältä, tuosta 8mb muistista on tuolla juttua

foorumi.amigafin.org/
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline pVC

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
I had a look at the site (and link to the shop) and it sounds interesting. Have you personally installed one? was it/do you know if it's difficult? If so, how long did you have to wait for it to arrive? Forgive me for the stupid question but what's the difference between a fully populated board and an unpopulated one?

I haven't personally bought it (yet). But I have got the impression that delivery might take some time, but it comes eventually. I guess installing isn't too hard, but requires opening the case at least.

I'd say populated is fully working card with all components on place, but for unpopulated you probably need to add components by yourself. But hmmmm... why unpopulated 2007 version costs more?
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Hessu

• Show only replies by Hessu
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »
Since this is for hello's, so i might add my hello from finland too. :pint:

Offline ami_junki

• Show only replies by ami_junki
    • http://www.cd32gamer.info
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:41 PM »
Terve Jamppa!  Its great to see some more Finns on the site, I originally come from Finland too but now live in Japan.  Welcome on board, I know what you mean about the old Amiga games just being better, I still can`t get enough of Alien Breed and Better Dead than Alien.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »
Hei suomesta!

re-enjoy the amiga.
a1200 060