Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ahh! Nostalgia!  (Read 1356 times)

Description:

Offline TechnoLeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by TechnoLee
Ahh! Nostalgia!
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
I remember seeing the amiga500 in 1990 and had to get one it was plain awesome then with the 10k demos and the fun games I missed it
Then a bit later I got the 1200 it was even better with the hd. and all I had painted mine red and used a sccsi cable and a tower to run multi hds and CDrom the tower was also red too

I used to use it to do a radio show and did sound clips with it I miss it so…. now and am thinking about recapturing my youth a bit and getting another
But I real plan on relegating it to game and music use I used to have some great meds and iff files im torn between getting another or finding an emulator do they still have one? Forgive my newb-ness my bed time is close at hand I tend to ramble

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
Re: Ahh! Nostalgia!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »
Hi TechnoLee.

You can still buy A1200's. Take a look here:
http://shop.amigakit.com/catalog/amiga-shop.php

Emulators also exist. Are you currently running Windows?
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

TechnoLee wrote:
I remember seeing the amiga500 in 1990 and had to get one it was plain awesome then with the 10k demos and the fun games I missed it
Then a bit later I got the 1200 it was even better with the hd. and all I had painted mine red and used a sccsi cable and a tower to run multi hds and CDrom the tower was also red too

I used to use it to do a radio show and did sound clips with it I miss it so…. now and am thinking about recapturing my youth a bit and getting another
But I real plan on relegating it to game and music use I used to have some great meds and iff files im torn between getting another or finding an emulator do they still have one? Forgive my newb-ness my bed time is close at hand I tend to ramble

Newb-ness?? Naah, we don't use that word over here :-).
Welcome aboard! :-D
And yes there are emulators. (win-/e-)UAE is what you need to type in google :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline TechnoLeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by TechnoLee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies Im torn between getting another 1200 and just getting the emulator im running XP a P® 3.4 GHz with 2 GB ram should be enough to do it I think. To emulate the Amiga well?
But how well does it work? Can I get the old stuff to punch up on it like the 10k demos and AGA stuff   and meds and Mod.s
Im really a file junkie does Fred fish live on and can I still get stuff
The reason is im not sure I would use the  another computer as much as this one and my wife wont want the clutter

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »
TechnoLee wrote:
Thanks for the replies Im torn between getting another 1200 and just getting the emulator im running XP a P® 3.4 GHz with 2 GB ram should be enough to do it I think. To emulate the Amiga well?
But how well does it work? Can I get the old stuff to punch up on it like the 10k demos and AGA stuff   and meds and Mod.s
Im really a file junkie does Fred fish live on and can I still get stuff
The reason is im not sure I would use the  another computer as much as this one and my wife wont want the clutter

A Pentium 4 @ 3400 will emulate an Amiga that runs faster than any real Amiga ever made. WinUAE pretty much runs everything, there are only a few things that don't work well with it and that list is getting shorter everytime a new version comes out (about every month or so). Games and demos all run pretty good.

One of the best sources for Amiga software still is Aminet. Fred Fish stopped with his fishdisks somewhere mid-90s but they are still available on Aminet as well. Fred himself unfortunately died last year.

IMHO, a real Amiga gives a better 'feeling', but a modern pc running WinUAE does pretty much everything Amiga, and fast as well.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:02:05 PM »
Try an Emulator and see if you still fancy playing after a few weeks. If you do get a real A1200 (£30 on fleabay), a turbo card (min 030/50) some ram, and maybe a compact flash harddrive (just a little adapter for a few quid", and a compact flash PCMCIA adaptor (£3?)

You can install hundreds of games and demo's using a program called WHDload. and use the PCMCIA CF to transfer data from the PC. WHD also allows you to install lots of old A500 stuff that was not compatable with the A1200, and can now also be HD installed.

Get a copy of eagleplayer/delitracker for old mods, and modern
PC ones as well.

MODS and Demo scene stuff are still being produced today.

Get a nice telly, munchies and beer, and your away!

Oh, and don't forget your scart cable! I use my A1200 so I can use the big TV in the lounge, I don't want to be sat in front of a monitor.

Offline DaBest

• Show only replies by DaBest
    • http://www.fennecadventures.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »
Welcome aboard........
Regardless of what you get ....lots of help here to help you :-D
\\"Keep it simple STUPID\\"
                    \\" Keep ur AMIGA\\"
:whack:

A4000/040  Desk Top is Back up and running :rtfm:
Picasso4, X-Surf2, 1.2 GIG HD, 24x10x40 CDR, OS3.9,18 MGS of RAM

Offline DoogUK

• Show only replies by DoogUK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »
Cant beat the feel of a real Amiga....Dim the lights...let the glow of a 1084 fill the room, listen to the warming click...click of the floppy drive and load up your favourite mod/demo/game......bliss!

Now thats real nostalgia. :-)
a1200T/040@40/64mb/10 gig/CWB
a600/3.5mb/3.25gb
a1200/blizz 040@40/128mb/4gb compact flash/CWB A4000/40

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »

DoogUK wrote:
Cant beat the feel of a real Amiga....Dim the lights...let the glow of a 1084 fill the room, listen to the warming click...click of the floppy drive and load up your favourite mod/demo/game......bliss!

Now thats real nostalgia. :-)

Here, here! Well except for the floppy click, I like to hear that for like 5 minutes and then run a click killer commodity.   :-D *Chuckle*

-Nyle
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline TDScompute

• Show only replies by TDScompute
    • http://www.tdscomputer.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
My Win/UAE on my AMD Athlon 3700+ beats the pants speedwise out of my A4000 & A3000 with a Warp Engine... But I never use it. It is more fun to dig my hands into the old Amiga's guts and fool around.

Go with the real thing. It is odd how fun retro computing really is!