Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New amigan  (Read 4153 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28

Re: New amigan
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 02:46:51 AM »
@AmiDelf

Well Said!

Quote:
because the world dosent want you to know about Amiga for some reason. Amiga have been hated by most of the companies since it started even in 1985.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

One reason I think is because many companies that wanted to add 3rd party stuff would not be able to make a Profit on things such as: Gfx cards, Sound cards, Plu and Play cards......etcc..............Why?  because Amigas already had nice sound, Gfx and was Plug and Play.........so its more profitable to make an IBM----a machine that does nothing, and make it do stuff it should do out of the box :-)

@thedaemon

Yep!  get an A1200 for sure...........unless you have alot of time and want to start from the beginning and get an A500 (that would be ok too)

I suggest you start by installing a Plain Workbench 3.1 only and use it ike that for a while to understand how Workbench works...........................soon you wil realise it is th most "correct" OS in the world that is organized most properly.....................then when you begin to install stukk like: ToolsDaemon (essential)  you wil highly appreciate it and configuring it...............its basically a START menu for Amiga...........except its at the top with the rest of the menu's.

Its cool to see dudes like you interested in the Amiga...I think it really displays your realistic honest look on life and that you are intelligent and creative.  

The Amiga is Amazing, but its not because it's actually amazing........I think it's Amazing quite simply because of how stupid other machines are.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Syperhawk

• Show only replies by Syperhawk
    • http://www.islandfriendly.ca
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 04:14:20 AM »
Well said well said. couldn't of said it better myself :) i almost cryed there for a bit :)

Myself i'm back to Amiga left the Amiga in 98, i always loved the Amiga started with an Amiga 500 in 89 then moved onto an A3000(which was a nice machine) then Bought a A4000T(ESCOM) which i didn't have for long maybe a year, traded for  a PC 333 System, which i'm very sorry i ever did,anwyays i'm back with Amiga with an A4000D 060/64 RAM CV64 GFX CARD,also got my 3000D & A500 back which i gave away :)

Anywayz what i think why Amiga is alive today is "the Amiga Users"
LONG LIVE THE AMIGA! :)

SyperHawk

Nova Scotia
CANADA

==================================
New Waterford,Nova Scotia
CANADA
A4000D 060/50 MHZ CV64 GFX 64 RAM
==================================

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 04:42:06 AM »
Syperhawk:
I did EXACTLY the same thing.  Sold the whole "farm" (A4000T with all the extras) in '01.   Used the substantial proceeds from my Amiga sellout and flushed the money into a "state-of-the-art" billblozeXP  1.5 'GIGA-hurts' Dell which is now worth exactly zero, possibly less.  It took less than a week before I realized what a horrible mistake I'd made.  I rank it in the top two stupidest decisions of my entire life, right up there with selling, for $400 -- beer money; my absolutely mint condition 1964 Vespa with 200 original miles on it.   Can you say, STUPID?!!  I still have the Dell.  It makes a lovely flowerpot in the spring.   I have a nice Amiga system now, too.  I'm afraid they'll never be a second chance on the Vespa.  I had acquired the Vespa from my neighbor for a summer's worth of free grass-cutting and landscaping.  His son had bought the bike in 1965, brand new.  He rode it one semester, was drafted to serve in Vietnam and was killed in combat shortly after.  The bike sat in this guys garage until 1987, the year I 'bought' it.   I had it for two months before I deciding that I "needed" money for my first semester of college.      
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline thedaemonTopic starter

• Show only replies by thedaemon
    • http://www.brandonayers.com
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 04:42:57 AM »
Again, thanks so much for the encouragement! I will probably stay up all night messing with emulated amiga and browsing ebay for amiga 1200. I see amigakit has base 1200's for a decent price. Perhaps I will order one from them and add on to it when I get more experience and the actual need for one. I am stuck on what kind of monitor I should use.

1)Should I use a VGA monitor and get an adapter, or an old 1840 or whatever they are called :)

2)Also, do I need to buy the Developer CD to begin C programming?

3)I ordered a copy of Brillance 2.0 and I don't have an amiga yet. I also ordered a lot of programming books on ebay. Cheers guys and thanks for having me.

Brandon

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 05:14:15 AM »
Welcome to the wonderfull world of Amiga which, at times is both frustrating and satisfying.

One addition to the list, as far as what you are looking for, I would mention that the A3000 is the one Amiga that has a VGA connection already built in, so any plain PC monitor will work, along with any of the Amiga specific monitors built. Plus, it has Zorro3 slots, if for some weird reason, you want to use PCI cards. With the rest of the models, using a VGA requires a scandoubler, or a videocard (RTG card), check the hardware site listed at the bottom of the Amiga.org page.

The only "downside" is that the A3000 uses the ECS chipset, so you can't play some of the "newer" games made. So the A1200 is best for that, and the A4000 is the penultimate, if you want to do serious stuff. Graphics, animations, video work, etc.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 06:48:42 AM »

Messing around in DPIV. I miss pixel art. Well guys it looks like I will pick up a 1200 within the next week. I can't wait!

Offline marauderII

• Show only replies by marauderII
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 08:13:38 AM »
Hey, Thedaemon

I live in alabama, dont know of any usergroups around that are
still active, Just some guy in huntsville was selling amiga stuff on ebay. I got a few amigas mostly collecting dust in my
closet. I mostly use winuae/amiga forever now, waiting for Os4
If there is any way I can help just ask.  

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 06:15:17 PM »
A 1080 monitor will do just fine.  Most software runs in the PAL scan rate used in European televisions so a VGA monitor won't help you much unless you get an expensive scan-doubler.

In order to program an Amiga in C you'll need the Amiga Developer CD if you can find one.  Version 2.1 is the latest for the classic Amigas.  Beyond that I'd reccommend downloading VBCC as your compiler since it has fewer bugs than Storm C++ version 3 that comes on the Developer CD.

Once you get your A1200, the first upgrade you'll want will be some sort of accelerator card since there is no RAM expansion sockets on the motherboard.  If you can find a Blizzard 1230 that will do well.  Put about 16+ megabytes of memory on it and you will do well.

Welcome to Amiga.org!

Offline Plaz

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 06:36:07 PM »
BTW Any usergroups close to Alabama? It seems the Atlanta user group's site is down.

Most of the folks in the Southeast are huddling around the North Carolina / South Carolina Amiga User's Group when their not on amiga.org or amigaworld.net. They probably have most active remaining group in these parts. It's kinda of a loose combination of Alabama, Georgia, Florida and North/South Carolinia. Might be some Tennesse and Virgina in there too. I was/am part of the old Atlanta group. The site still exists at amigaatlanta.com, but I brought the server down to move it to a new machine. Since traffic is very small lately and the last couple of dozen enthusiast lost touch when the old mail server died, I just wasn't in a hurry to bring it back online. It hasn't been updated in a while, but if you'd like to take a look at some of the archived material, send a private mail and I'll fire the server back up. And welcome to Amiga land.

Plaz

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 03:05:25 AM »
 As a fairly longtime Amiga(and everything else) owner and sporadic user let me welcome you to HOBBY computing. The Amiga  is a computer that WAS ahead of its competition at various times but poor  company management doomed it to a footnote in computer history.Sales were tiny compared to Playstation and other video game unit. Yes 5 million or so Amigas were sold;in contrast to 15 million Commodore 64s and 128s.By the way the C128 is another computer whose potential was never really utilized by most programmers or users. There are still people enjoying those old computers .

Every obsolete computer will still run all the softaware it did before and as well;it just won't run the NEW software as well,if at all.

Keep in mind that IBM compatible computers are in nearly every business,home,school, and government office, and 50 million new units a year is likely the figure.

I just realized that I've recently spent way too much in a bout of nostaglia for Amiga stuff.

I am of the opinion that, unless Amiga OS4 can be licensed and released as an alternate OS for existing IBM-compatibles and Macs, Amiga user are most similar to antique car enthusiastists,steam engine fans, and others.That is,of passing interest as a harmless hobby but sort of "odd".

In its time the Amiga propelled a lot of video which the public enjoyed but neither knew nor cared on which computer ithat video was produced.The classic Amiga Toaster is about to become less relevant with the forced transition to new digital TV standards so the main niche is fading fast.

You may develop fine skill at programming the Am,iga ,and enjoy it. just don't expect the Amiga to become a blip on the radar screen of the real world.

Offline Lemonty

• Show only replies by Lemonty
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 08:34:45 AM »
Welcome!
May I recommend the Amiga 4000D(esktop)? You might find one costing no more than 150 Euros (tops!) with some expansion cards thrown in. This one is expandable with four expansion slots where the A1200 is limited to just one expansion slot (or you could consider towering one that is - a daunting task which has put me off).
On the other hand, A1200 are much more available and offer the same fun with the a/m limitations.
Happy tinkering!
Respect My Authority!

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
I live in the USA, and I seriously doubt I could find a 4000 for $160Euros. Ok, guys I picked up a amiga 4000d video toaster with highflyer and monitor. its a 40 processor. I think it's pretty much stock. I will be waiting for it to arrive for me to tell you more.
Here is it on ebay

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 03:22:11 AM »
Great catch!  Just be sure you take the case off of the computer and blow an electric fan on the Video Toaster 4000 card while running it.  The fan in the A4000 desktop's power supply is quite weak.

Offline Amigaz

• Show only replies by Amigaz
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
Congrats  :banana:

Make sure the battery hasn't leaked when you recieve the A4000
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 01:38:21 PM »
 :banana: it will be peanut butter jelly time soon enough. I also scored a few programming books off of ebay to get my started. Reading now.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 22, 2006, 01:48:19 PM »
Hey good choice keep us updated! Will you be keeping it stock? Really has amazing upgrade potential. I'd make my first priority finding a good graphics card like the picassoIV and then upgrade to 3.1 Roms. http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=468

Good luck..