Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OK, I've got 23 Amiga 500's - now what?  (Read 2984 times)

Description:

Offline starf81

• Show only replies by starf81
Re: OK, I've got 23 Amiga 500's - now what?
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 09:23:53 PM »

Here's another question for you all ... should the startup screen (the hand/disk screen) have a purple background, or is my 1084S monitor faulty?

It is correct for Amigas with Kickstart 2.0 and following but that screen is animated (a disk enters into a floppy drive...  there isn't any hand).
Otherwise, the previous kickstart versions (1.0-1.3) shows the hand with the disk on a WHITE background.

Alex
A1000 - A2000 (020/16) - A3000 (060/50) - A500 - A500+ - A600 - A1200 (030/50) - CDTV - CD32

AN AMIGA WEB RESOURCE

Offline giantwetaTopic starter

• Show only replies by giantweta
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 09:41:10 PM »
Dodgy screen then. Oh well. :/
I've got an old Acorn AKF40 hanging around that I might try - might have to disassemble the 23pin plug to make up a new cable though because they're impossible to find here.

I guess my next question has to be, where can I get a copy of Kickstart/Workbench 1.3 so I can boot these things?
GiantWeta

A big ugly bug
from New Zealand

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 10:03:25 PM »
I guess my next question has to be, where can I get a copy of Kickstart/Workbench 1.3 so I can boot these things?

buy it on ebay or have someone close to you help you out.  I'm sure someone here can mail something to ya.  If they are stock Amiga 500's, I'd ebay them all if you're not interested in playing around with one.

PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline glitch

• Show only replies by glitch
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 11:50:09 PM »
Hi,

Completely off topic.  I realized you were from New Zeland with the "weta" in your account name.  Peter Jackson's special effects shop was Weta Digital or something like that...  Great... now WTF is a weta?  (Almost afraid to ask)

-G

P.S.  We spell it "Colour" up here too...

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 11:52:54 PM »
Trust me....you don't want to know. You certainly don't want to do a google picturesearch on 'weta'...

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 12:03:30 AM »
Yeah, you might just need to push the chips back in and maybe spray some canned air through things. I heard about a technique that involved twisting and bending the case to eseat the chips, but I don't know if that really works. Anyone know about that?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline glitch

• Show only replies by glitch
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 12:07:25 AM »
Ewwww!

Offline 6

• Show only replies by 6
    • http://www.zazzle.com/Myassaboy
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 01:58:29 AM »
23!  and I thought 4 was excessive.  But $20 is a good price, especially.

Do the Commodore Drop.  Pick the A500s straight up 6-8 inches and drop them flat on a solid surface, maybe a couple of times.  Then try them again.

God made apes, but he used a human to do it.
Man fit the plan, apes are here to prove it.
We can walk like a man, talk like a man, do what humans do.
Yes god made apes but a human supplied the glue.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 02:40:32 AM »
dropping from a height ... ahhhh the subtle approach! ;)
Hey it's worth a try.

So is Workbench 1.3 is still a jealously guarded bit of commercial software? Or can it be downloaded onto a PC from somewhere and then be written to an Amiga-spec floppy disk? I assume this is where RAWrite may come in handy.
GiantWeta

A big ugly bug
from New Zealand

Offline alx

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 09:54:51 AM »
So is Workbench 1.3 is still a jealously guarded bit of commercial software? Or can it be downloaded onto a PC from somewhere and then be written to an Amiga-spec floppy disk? I assume this is where RAWrite may come in handy.

You cannot download it for free, I'm afraid.  If you want to emulate an Amiga as well then Amiga Forever comes with the images, however putting them onto an Amiga disk wouldn't be nice; the Amiga has a more flexible floppy controller than the PC, with the result that the PC cannot write to Amiga disks.  Unless you've got a working Amiga that can read PC disks, then it wouldn't be possible.  If you just want to check that the systems are working, then you could grab any bootable disk, like a demo, but again you wouldn't be able to write it to disk.  I'd have thought that you'll need to go looking round for the physical disks.

Offline PaSha

• Show only replies by PaSha
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 12:13:37 PM »

One of the machines has Commodore A500 written on the case - is this a special version?

Nope, it's just newer than the others.

There's one A500 Plus - unfortunately it's not one of the working ones.

The A500 plus has 1 MB of ram (as opposed to 512kB in the A500) kickstart v2.04 and a slightly better chipset. And as already mentioned, an onboard clock with a battery that's probably leaking.

What's usually the problem when the power light flashes and nothing else happens?

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/aminet/hard/misc/errormessages.txt

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/aminet/hard/hack/Amigafix.txt
4) Green Screen; 10 short 1 long power LED blink
      a) clean and re-insert Agnus chip

I know I've seen a larger list of 'blink-codes' somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

A couple of the machines had green power lights, most of them were red. What's the significance of the colour?

red=older ones
green=newer ones

-Paul

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 08:24:59 PM »

PaSha wrote:  

-Paul

Thanks Paul, the flashing lights, screen etc info is great.

I found a bootable copy of TextCraft Plus and booted up a couple of the machines successfully. At least I can test them to some extent now.

I had a look at the A500 Plus board - yup, leaking battery and  green corrosion on all the pins around one of the recessed chips, and brown on some of the resistors (rust?). It's not looking good!

I'm wary of cleaning/scrubbibg the boards with meths/vinegar/meths/water ... how careful do I need to be to avoid getting various bits wet?
GiantWeta

A big ugly bug
from New Zealand

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 10:21:56 PM »
Beowulf Cluster!?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 10:38:39 PM »

Argo wrote:
Beowulf Cluster!?

:roflmao:

Offline AdMartin

• Show only replies by AdMartin
    • http://www.admonish.org/
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 11:15:07 PM »
Getting bits wet is no problem, as long as you're 100% sure they're dry once you turn the power on. I think I read in an old thread here that some people would wash complete motherboards and then let them dry and allegedly it worked fine! Though, maybe I read it somewhere else... and don't hold me responsible if something goes wrong... :-P

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 11, 2005, 04:55:35 AM »

AdMartin wrote:
Getting bits wet is no problem, as long as you're 100% sure they're dry once you turn the power on. I think I read in an old thread here that some people would wash complete motherboards and then let them dry and allegedly it worked fine! Though, maybe I read it somewhere else... and don't hold me responsible if something goes wrong... :-P

Hey, what have I got to lose?! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after the first 4 or 5 attempts to ressurect the dead ones. By the time I get to the currently working ones that probably need a clean too I just might know what I'm doing! :)
GiantWeta

A big ugly bug
from New Zealand