Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)  (Read 8531 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »
Na. Not interested, I did HP UX, Solaris and Redhat for 10 years at work. But I'm a classic user. And use Win10 for everything else. :) Works flawlessly with all the software I brought from Win7-8.1-10.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:53:51 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;820679
My elderly parents used a first generation Intel iMac for ten years and when that finally packed up my uncle gave them his old core2duo laptop running Windows 7 and they could not use it without constantly ringing me for help.

I got sick of the calls so travelled the 100 mile round trip to their house and installed Lubuntu on it for them with Docky and a Snow Leopard icon theme to make it more visually familiar.

That was last summer and they've not called me for support once.

I guess ur saying that's because they can use it fully without need of telephony support and that you don't go over once a week to fix issues and problems so they don't have a need to call. Yeah?
You know you could have just enabled RDS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:56:12 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:47:39 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;820744
So the choices were:

Remote Desktop and fix the pile of sh1te every single bloody day (usually more than once) or install Lubuntu and never ever have to fix it at all.

You would choose the first choice?

I'm not a masochist, nor am I a sadist wishing to inflict that level of pain upon pensioners.

Nup probably not.  If I was in your situation, in your shoes, I likely would have done exactly what you did do.  If you are the one who generally ends up sorting their sh1te out. And that's an OS you are comfortable, familiar and happy with, why not.
The thread probably got way off topic, which is normal for OS flavour threads on AORG.

There are many things I would do if it was me; not in your situation.  There are things you need and should do on all OSes when setting them up for normal "user" access. Living on an 8yo OS and Browser is asking for trouble generally. Logging in on as root/admin another thing that should never be done, but something that is generally done and accepted on Windows against install and support advice, which gets most people into trouble most of the time.  

Anyway each to their own and viva la difference.