Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)  (Read 8545 times)

Description:

Offline EugeneNine

• Show all replies
Re: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;820365
The only experience worse than Linux on a desktop, is Linux on a laptop.

I've been running Linux on my laptop since 2002.  Its much faster and more stable than windows.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820372
Until something goes wrong.  And it will.

The greatest tragedy in the opens source movement is it chose Linux.

I've been running Linux since 2002.  Something went wrong in 2006 and I got a kernel panic.  Turns out it was hardware so I had to spend some $ to replace it.  Haven't had anything go wrong since then.

Wife's windows 10 laptop hung coming out of suspend last week so I had to force it to cold boot.  Daughters netbook got the forced upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and then took 28 minutes to boot.  I bought her a 'new' laptop for $200 and stuck Linux on her old one and it boots in 28 seconds so now I have a spare in case I need it.  I have one other running AROS.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820466
It means what its says.

Countless man hours wasted on Linux for no good reason than "its free".  Except its not.  People's time isn't free.

Thats the #1 reason I switched to Linux.  I was wasting so much time keeping windows updated and working.  Linux has saved me so much time and frustration over the years by not breaking something every other update like Windows does, by not getting infected with malware despite not running as administrator.  Just because one or two distros that try to be windows like have window like issues doesn't mean all of linux is like that.  Or to put it simply just use with slackware already :)

A bit of time is spent by the rasbian maintainers taking debian and stripping it down to make it run efficiently on the Pi (one of the reasons I ruin slackware-arm on mine is its already efficient) so thats why I think a Amiga/AROS could find a fit in the Arm world as its already a lightweight OS.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:31:16 PM by EugeneNine »

Offline EugeneNine

• Show all replies
Re: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
My parents run windows.  Every month I had to clean some kind of malware.  I finally got them to use firefox instead of IE so it goes about 6 months between malware infections now and thats mainly because my mother will still use bing/msn for something and one of the ads was smart enough to write their crap for more than one browser.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;820818

Arch is very much a "build your own system", but once it is built, runs forever.  Only reason mine finally died was because my hard drive decided to start clicking in the middle of the night, and I had that install updated from about 6 years of use.  

I can get a full Arch install with desktop in 20-30 min, depending on download speeds, and it will stay running forever.  Windows... hell I am already considering re-installing mine because some random software doesn't uninstall itself correctly.
Only downside with Arch is the rolling version, there isn't any stop and snapshot a 'stable' version.  Thats why I went Slackware.  on all my 'production' boxen I run the stable snapshot version (14.2 currently) and just slackupg update for any security/bug fixes.  Arch is like always running slackware-current and always getting the latest software no matter what reason.
Either are still more stable than windows though.  Any either one you still have to tell it when to update not the other way around like windows.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;820977
With Arch being a derivative of Slackware you might be able to get away with installing this package.  Saves on compiling Zen yourself.  :)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-lqx/

Yes I'm on a pimping spree, can't praise Liquorix / Zen enough.  :)

Don't need to, I run Slackware :)