Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Native 68k Netsurf  (Read 35691 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Native 68k Netsurf
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
then why dont you make this port yourself? ive looked into the source some time ago and it wasnt *so* easy (for me). but then ive been making mostly only sdl ports if anything.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
i dont think that after so many years of non activity aweb is any good base for an updated browser. any initiative in amiga scene has to be undertaken with some future perspective in mind. if anyone even magically manages to compile a browser who is going to constantly maintain and update it like fab does.

thats why the only feasable approach, that has been proven working is to rely on a third party maintained core adding only some gui to it.

now what concerns netsurf there are three amiga frontends:
- arturs enchanced 68k sdl port
- chris reaction os4 frontend
- and abandoned itix' mos mui frontend.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
my proposal would be to resign on netsurf for the time being. yesterday i have checked a few provided aros contributions under winuae aros 68k, and most are working fine. also zune improves in terms of compatibility. most examples and bigger os3 programs like yam, nowined, scout already work correctly. im waiting for someone to compile aros owb for 68k. then the bounty to update zune might be taken, and mos owb port started.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
also since yesterday nightly aros directory listing speed improved considerably thanks to new png loading procedures. also there is an approach to allow aros 68k executables to run out of the box on aos. i dont know how well it is already working though.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
im not sure if there is so much difference in requirements between netsurf qnd owb. there is efika version of fabs owb, and his last release is reported to be yet significantly faster.

itix helped artur so far i know with more general stuff, but his mui frontend isnt up to date anymore. it doesnt make sence to pick up this task for someone that doesnt know what he is doing, without significant help.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:54:26 AM »
or you could code your c2p routines directly into bernds sdl library, in order to have a potential possibilty to run all sdl apps on planard screens. this will probably cost just too much performance for most games. is though a much desired feature ive observed. also i have suggested that before.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:07:38 AM »
i dont understand very well, but whats more complicated in inserting c2p routines into existing sdl static library project than into a netsurf project? both sources will be most likely made available on demand if you volunteer to contribute. but improving sdl would be a more universal gain as it is used by many more applications except netsurf itself.

edit: just to be clear: sdl 68k refuses to work on planar screens for now. when such a screen was detected say by bestmodeid the gfx output could be redirected to your native c2p routine. i don think that it is complicated. bernd woulld sure help with some guidance, since he knows the source. what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:12:03 AM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »
that depends, ive released some stuff that works acceptably on real hardware to aminet, but with c2p overhead it will sure get slower yet.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
just checking, here is a lot of stuff in amiga dir, would have to read into that again, no ifdefs anywhere else?
also i think it would be better to modify p96 to cgx calls for overall 68k compatibility, otherwise half of the systems remain unsupported.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 03:11:37 AM »
@chris:
ive checked a little my source, which im not sure if it is exactly up to date.
1. the amiga directory needs a lot of attention, thats for sure.
2.im working with crosscompiler here, and i dont know how to issue target directly to make in bash although i prepared some sort of preliminary makefile.config. nevertheless i have halfaway assembled amidevcpp project (by hand), not very conform with how netsurf is supposed to be built, i suppose.
3. most files i tested outside amiga dir comile ok, except there is some problem as soon as css is included.
css.c itself compile attempt results in:

Compiler: m68k-Amiga-os3-gcc-4.5.0
Building Makefile: "C:\CrossCompiler\AmiDevCpp\projects\netsurf\Makefile.win"
Executing  make...
mingw32-make.exe -f "C:\CrossCompiler\AmiDevCpp\projects\netsurf\Makefile.win" css/css.o
m68k-amigaos-gcc-4.5.0.exe -c css/css.c -o css/css.o -I"/usr/local/amiga/m68k-amigaos/sys-include" -I"/usr/local/amiga/m68k-amigaos/include" -I"C:/CrossCompiler/AmiDevCpp/projects/netsurf"  -w -include stdio.h  

css/css.c: In function ‘nscss_create_css_data’:
css/css.c:115:4: error: too many arguments to function ‘css_stylesheet_create’
/usr/local/amiga/lib/gcc/m68k-amigaos/4.5.0/../../../../m68k-amigaos/include/libcss/stylesheet.h:27:11: note: declared here
css/css.c: In function ‘nscss_import_complete’:
css/css.c:447:6: error: too many arguments to function ‘css_stylesheet_create’
/usr/local/amiga/lib/gcc/m68k-amigaos/4.5.0/../../../../m68k-amigaos/include/libcss/stylesheet.h:27:11: note: declared here
mingw32-make.exe: *** [css/css.o] Error 1

Execution terminated

gotta check it in the morning.. but once its solved it is probably solved for all the similar errors.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:14:06 AM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
btw trying to build netsurf from the shell makefile script runs into errors. there are some "/*" strings that will be interpreted as comments i believe which leads to this:

makefile:305: Extraneous text after `else' directive
makefile:305: *** only one `else' per conditional.  Stop.

besides some libs such as libcss have to be built preferably statically at this point. must see if artur has them at hand before i start to break in through the open door.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Quote from: __artur;620677
You need make v 3.81

oh, thanks mine is 3.80.
@nicholas: iif everything breaks i will try to compile under cubicide, for now i stay with amidevcpp environment.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
ok, guys. now after a little tweaking im able to build from bash. there are lots of warnings and errors, a few easy, others i dont know how to handle. i suppose i will have to create a new target, like "m68k-amigaos" not to interfere witch os4 version.

chris, i have here 2.6 source iirc, should i update to latest commit?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
ive got original amidevcpp and updated certain components only if need be for fear to run into some incompatibility and fail due to lack of support. i remember ive done one more general update to get it compatible with gcc 4.5.0 whatever it was. but im complete noob so dont expect any reliable info on my part. im just trying to get it to compile

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »

Post them here.

there are so many, i have to make up my mind where to start. is there any way to dump the make log to a file? im not accustomed to shell, i am using devcpp interface for most of the time.

2.7 r11956 downloaded, it had some errors unpacking, nothing essential i think. lets see.