Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the current deal  (Read 1939 times)

Description:

Offline alexTopic starter

• Show only replies by alex
    • http://www.never2funky.com
What's the current deal
« on: December 04, 2003, 12:57:34 AM »
Ok, I haven't seen it posted or asked in a while, but what is the current state of affairs?

Who's doing what and when is the new AmigaOS 4 or MorphOS speculated to hit the street?

Your answers can be totally guesses, but tell me why you think it to be that way.  

It's pretty clear from what I'm reading that the authors will never tell and when someone speculates, they often lash out at them telling them to stop spreading false statements, but since they won't say, then wide speculation is all we are left with.

Also, do any application developers have early versions?

Are we to see any serious new features?  I don't mean the never seen, often felt, under the hood type things.  I mean from the user perspective, what more can I do that I wasn't able to do before.

Are there any real apps for it in the pipeline?  I would think that the most critical to make it successful would be:  Web Development tool, a good JRE, a good development tool and IDE (not just gcc and golded), adobe tools, office suite, strong graphics tools, music jukebox.  And of course finally a modern web broswer.

It seems clear to me that if at the end of the day, we just have the same-old same-old just running on new hardware with the same old outdated apps, what would be the fun in that?

Ok, flame it up!

-Alex

-Alex

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
Re: What's the current deal
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 01:22:50 AM »
For MorphOS next version should come togerher with Pegasos 2 machines. There is need for new drivers and IMHO it's high time to get updates anyhow. So, assuming it happens as been told to us. Deliveries should  be at week starting with 15th December (yes.. This year..).

For Amiga OS4 last I have heard is that they are trying to make Aone-Beta and deliver it to A-one owners before X-mas. I have no idea if it'll be possible or how finished OS4 is by that time.. At least last time I heard they still had part of OS4 on 68K code and runnin on static emulator.

For applications.. well.. it's hard to make applications without Client Base.... So one can't not expect miracles anytime soon.  Of Graphics tools at least ImageFX and FXPaint are Native to MorphOS, there aren't many others that are still under commercial development.

Of Web browsers there is work going on making Ibrowse 3 and  Mozilla firebird... I have no idea thugh if/when those appear for users.

For office suite.. There has been work porting  Papyrys Office to MorphOS and it's been demoed on some events.. I have no idea if there is any movement on OS4 side for something similar.  For some work Pagestream DTP (PPC native versions coming) may well be suitable alternative.

Fun. Well. at least Pegasos 1 is resreshingly fast way to use those familiar apps. It's nice, fanless design that is comfortable alternative to these noise-making PC:s..  There are couple good  games for MorphOS (like Knights & merchants) and there should be releases of two more in couple months (Northland + Divine Divinity)... It ain't lot, but it's still some progress.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 01:29:11 AM »
Thank goodness someone level-headed replied to this thread :-)

Offline JoannaK

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 01:50:14 AM »
Well- I can't claim I know everything.. but this is what I have gathered about current situation of sw/hw making..  If there are omissions (surely) or errors (quite possibly) it's Ok to make corrections.

I know that sites like Amigaflame  keep a long list of games that are supposed to be ported or made to Amiga (and OS4) .. But seriously, has anyone heard a *beep* of most of them in years? For Example Lambda has been dead and buried for at least three years and it's still on their list.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 01:56:58 AM »

JoannaK wrote:
Well- I can't claim I know everything..

Nobody knows everything ;-) It's the fact that you admit that and aren't twisting the facts or making up stories that I admire. A thread like this is usually a prime target for trolls, so it's nice when someone posts with honesty. :-)

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 09:08:28 AM »
I second the vote of thanks to JoannaK, that she responded in an informative manner!

What WE (the collective of past & former Amiga users/coders) need, at the present, is information-exchange that is free of recrimminations & flaming!

The example of PageStream being multiplatform - on Amiga classic, [color=0033FF]PC[/color], [color=0000FF]Mac[/color], & [color=000099]Linux[/color] . . . . with both [color=0066FF]Pegasos[/color] and [color=990066]AmigaOne[/color] versions to swell the platform-count!

Just think HOW much more can be accomplished if coders working on the Pegasos, and on the AmigaOne, share resources? BOTH platforms can use NEW Applications!
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 09:13:03 AM »

JoannaK wrote:
Well- I can't claim I know everything.. but this is what I have gathered about current situation of sw/hw making..  If there are omissions (surely) or errors (quite possibly) it's Ok to make corrections.

I know that sites like Amigaflame  keep a long list of games that are supposed to be ported or made to Amiga (and OS4) .. But seriously, has anyone heard a *beep* of most of them in years? For Example Lambda has been dead and buried for at least three years and it's still on their list.

There's a site called Amigaflame?!
How apt!
:lol:
I like Amigas

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 09:41:36 AM »
Thank goodness someone level-headed replied to this thread

I couldn't agree more, Chris.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline MagicSN

• Show only replies by MagicSN
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 09:44:52 AM »
>For Amiga OS4 last I have heard is that they are >trying to make Aone-Beta and deliver it to A-one >owners before X-mas. I have no idea if it'll be >possible or how finished OS4 is by that time.. At >least last time I heard they still had part of OS4 on >68K code and runnin on static emulator.

There are nearly no 68k-modules left (don't have
the exact number right now, but not many...).

Myselves I am using my AmigaOne as my only Amiga in the meanwhile (Well, that my A4000 died might have played a role there, but still I am perfectly fine with the A1 on OS4  :) This thing is so goddamn fast :))) ). graphics is still 68k, though, but the PPC-version is in works since quite a while.

Steffen

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 10:40:25 AM »
 :ranting:         A1 this Pegasos that

:madashell:       Bicker Bicker Bicker

:griping:       But I have nothing negative to say    

:crazy:

Consider this post flamed !    :flame:

:lol:
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 10:44:35 AM »
Hi JoannaK

as reported yesterday by "Soft3 by Massimiliano Tretene" (Italy), the "Earlybird offer" has been extended even on the assembled AOne systems bundled with a pre-release copy of AOS4.0beta (X-Mas 2003)

Final AOS 4.0 free (when available).

Ciao

Offline JoannaK

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 01:57:59 PM »
Vortexau:  Yep.. I forget to mention that ImageFX and FXPaint are coming to OS4 too ..  Especially FxPaint has wide support, it even has Amithlon extensions IIRC.

Offline SnowBord

• Show only replies by SnowBord
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 02:43:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, what's the deal with ART EFFECT??

Wasn't that a kick-ass Photoshop clone?  PPC etc.
What version did it get up to?

Someone should take up development on it again, it ruled!

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 03:14:41 PM »
Just think HOW much more can be accomplished if coders working on the Pegasos, and on the AmigaOne, share resources? BOTH platforms can use NEW Applications!

True got to be the best way forward, better to work together than against each other. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 10:28:37 PM »

JoannaK wrote:
Vortexau:  Yep.. I forget to mention that ImageFX and FXPaint are coming to OS4 too ..  Especially FxPaint has wide support, it even has Amithlon extensions IIRC.

That would be news to me (and Kermit as well I think) about ImageFX.
       -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show