Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: commodore amiga 2000  (Read 6086 times)

Description:

Offline KidIce

• Show all replies
Re: commodore amiga 2000
« on: October 27, 2002, 01:30:54 AM »
Curious, I had never heard of that device before. If it is indeed in the 2000 it will be under the left edge of the frame for the 5.25" drive bay, toward the front of the machine inbetween the 68000 and the motherboard.

What I would try...

1) Boot off any of the floppies. If it loads this password is not in hardware. Try sticking a bootable floppy (like disk 1 of a game or the Workbench disk) in the right drive first and turning the machine on, if you get the prompt power down and try again w/ the other drive as they may be wired backwards (most 2000's I have seen w/ two drives DF0: is on the right and DF1: is on the left, but they can be wired the other way).

2) Open the computer and check out the 68000k (in above described place black DIP chip ~1"x3") and make sure it's plugged directly into the socket on the the motherboard and that that device isn't between the two. If there is some other board sandwiched between the MoBo and 68k chip leave it alone as it's probably an accelerator like the CSA Derringer. If that device is there simply remove it, remove the 68k from it and resocket the 68k in the MoBo (take note of orientation).

3) The first slot to the left of the 68k chip is the accelerator slot, the other five (toward the front of the machine) are the Zorro slots. Try removing all the cards and powering up the machine if the password is gone, then it is one of the cards.

Depending on what result you get from these tests I can offer advice on getting rid of said prompt if I know what is causing it.
Tried it once, and you know, I don\\\'t like being on fire.