Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A2000 can't boot hard disk  (Read 3127 times)

Description:

Offline Michele31415Topic starter

• Show only replies by Michele31415
Re: A2000 can't boot hard disk
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 25, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »
For those following the ongoing saga, I got my Oktagon 2008.  Turns out it's a rev. 7 with 6.12 ROM so that's nice.  Setup was super easy.  The install floppy is available online and my new Gotek came in handy to get it going.  Actually, the machine reported the card as defective when I first plgged it in, but I cleaned the edge connector with my Mars Staedtler acid-free plastic eraser, wiped them off with Deoxit Gold and reseated the ROM.  Then it worked fine.  It's not the fastest controller out there but it has one big advantage over my A2091 - it works.

The only problem I have now is that I can't get a SCSI2SD device larger than 1 GB.  I've set a 4 GB size for the first device in scsi2hd-util on the PC and the Oktagon installer reports its size as 4 GB but when I open the new disk in Workbench, it says it's only 1 GB.  This is WB 1.3 though so maybe that's it.  I'll try upgrading to 3.1, which I need to do anyway to get my Deneb running.

So then I'm thinking - it would be nice if I could figure out what's wrong with my 2091.  I powered it up on my bench and found that diode D1 was open, so I replaced that.  Then I found that U7, a 7407 hex inverter was turning up squirrely numbers so I'm going to replace that too.  I have a lot of IC's in my stash, but not that one.  So I'm waiting for that now.  There's a video on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swU3w6_ipLs) that describes my problem almost exactly.
Active: B2000 4.4, A2630, GVP 2000 HC+8, DKB 2632, SCSI2SD, Gotek, Deneb USB, XSurf 3cc, CD ROM, Megachip 2000, ECS Agnus, Denise, OS 3.9, GVP Spectrum EGS 28/24, Silicon Springs GOMF
Retired: A2088, 8-Up, A2090a, Oktagon 2008, Kitchen Sync
Busted: A2091

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: A2000 can't boot hard disk
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
Bit late to the party, but does the A2091 have ram on it?  If not I would be carefully removing it and putting it into storage.  Then go IDE:  Buddha IDE Anniversary edition. is about $70 US.  cheaper than SCSi2SD.  Then go a couple of IDE CF CARD adapters out the back of the 2000. Much easier to move stuff from PC (Amiga Emulator) that way.  But if you have a fully SCSI kitted out Amiga 2000 I can understand.  I have a GVP 040 Board with 32 Bit RAM connected to a SCSI CD ROM in my 2000, but I've disabled SCSI on the board and unplugged the power to the CDROM.  I just wasn't using it and it was slowing down boot.  You are going to get the same transfer speeds on the Buddha to CF CARD as 2091 v7 to SCSI2SD.  Zorro 2 being the bottleneck.