Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)  (Read 89290 times)

Description:

Offline wbrejniaTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: **Need Setup HELP** with Classic Amiga 2000 HARD DISK (Bridgeboard)
« Reply #554 from previous page: January 21, 2022, 05:49:47 AM »
Thanks Pat, I've been to PiStorm Discord few days ago, it a bit confusing since I'm not used to that type of messaging forum.   Lots of channels and activity going on.  Development/Testing is moving lighting fast.  Certainly the PiStorm is WIP.

The best summary based I've found on the PiStorm is Noel's You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouakRDHisew
He really covers off the topic well.  All before Emy86 came along, however he does cover the concept of Barebone OS on the Pi, which if I understand correctly is what Emu86 is all about.

I'll learn more when my parts arrive, however if I understand things correctly, if one uses the PiStorm as a pure 68000 Emulator (without emulating HD, RTG via HDSMI, network, on the Pi) you can use many periperals in the Amiga (Certainly the Floppy or Gotek).  There still might be limitations. No idea till I try.

It is quite exciting and a cheap alternative to getting a Vampire, etc for casual use and exploration.

I do understand the need for SD cards on a Raspberry Pi.  I built at least a dozen complex projects via Raspberry Pi's and Ardiuno.   That's why the PiStorm caught my attention and enthusiam.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic for this thread.  Might be a good idea to start another new topic when I fool around with the PiStorm and my A2000 bundles.

• Show all replies
« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2022, 02:33:44 AM »
Pat,

I watched that video as well.   Everything out there so far is Dec 2021, so out of date.

I've been trying to understand the PiStorm from Hardware 68000 Chip Hardware Pinout Perspective. 
If all the pins are emulated by the PiStorm HW and Firmware it should work as a like for like CPU Emulator. (If you put aside Fancy Emulator of RTG, Virtual disks, etc)

This is the 68000 Pinout https://www.cpu-world.com/info/Pinouts/68000.html

This one Circuit Diagram I found for Folks building the PiStorm HW portion  [url]https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm/blob/3a5f2fb1d3fc2eb9b95c61993ffc30a4462dbc55/Pistorm_Rev_B-1.pdf[url]

I like to understand things, but way over my skill level when it comes to what Amigas need for signalling from CPU.

Let the experts figure things out.  Things have already become so much advanced, and fuctional.  Plus easier to build/install compared to mid 2021 when PiStorm just got started.
I can't do anything anyway except patiently wait for my PiStorm Module to arrrive.  The Raspberry P3A+ arrived today.   One step closer.

• Show all replies
« Reply #556 on: January 22, 2022, 02:46:15 AM »
Actually I'm starting to understand the PiStorm  (Extra Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Side: Apps, Disk, Software, RTG, and Network).  It' called "A314"

If you got back to oringal setup of PiStorm (Manual Way) it becomes a bit more clear https://www.retro32.com/amiga-resources/240820213135-pistorm-installation-and-setup-guide-apps-pidisk-networking-and-rtg-a314

You don't have to enable any A314 peices in the Config.  You can simply Select what CPU you want to emulate, and the reset is components of the Amiga HW.
At least that's the way it Seems.

The Emu68 project is replacing an heavy Raspberry Pi Linux OS with a Barebone Linux.  That why the Emu86 way is many many times faster.

• Show all replies
« Reply #557 on: January 23, 2022, 12:44:22 AM »
Pat,

Again.  Thanks for the info.  I'm starting to understand things more.  Certainly I don't understand it all quite yet.

I shouldn't have to worry about my PiStorm Assembly, Flashing, since I got the PiStorm 2k, all assembled, flashed and pre-tested in a A2000 from this guy.
https://www.tindie.com/products/retrofletch/pistorm-2k-for-a2000-flashed-and-tested-amiga-2000-2/

The only thing I'll have to play with is Software on the Pi Side.   Compiling and stuff, I've done before.  I was a liniux admin for 10 years couple decades ago, and back then compiling was much more complex than today.

Looking forward to playing with this Low Cost Project.   I enjoy the hacking experience and then get bored.  Personally I don't use my Amiga for anything other the hacking/discovery.

• Show all replies
« Reply #558 on: January 23, 2022, 08:30:25 AM »
Pat,

Maybe you can answer this question.

When I plug in the PiStorm 2k, what is the best  Boot From Floppy (Game) or (Diagnostic Software) to run on the Amiga 2000 to test things to prove the Amiga is running true native hardware (no emulation).

Diagrom V1.21 Chip in my Kickstart Switcher?  Don't have one but they are cheap.

I figure another good HW/SW test would be to see if (Bridgeboard works), that would certainly be streching compatibility limites.
Maybe another would be to test my (Auto Boot enabled "GVP SCSI+8MB).

• Show all replies
« Reply #559 on: January 24, 2022, 07:19:23 AM »
Well I was searching the Wrong way on Youtube for PiStorm.   Just tried "*pistorm*", and a ton more video came up.

Looks like AutoConfig and Zorro bus card now work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVqUihLZa3s

• Show all replies
« Reply #560 on: January 25, 2022, 02:15:31 AM »
Ahh... I never considered PiStorm and ability to choose Rom Image (Diagrom). 

Great point!  Therefore I just need to get the Diagrom binary image which is free, so no need to get a ROM for my kickstart switcher.  If the PiStorm is (basic) functional, it will work.

You just saved me sone money.  Thanks Pat.  I owe you a beer!

• Show all replies
« Reply #561 on: February 05, 2022, 05:39:13 AM »
To save the effort of reading 62 pages

Is anyone able to provide a summary of this thread so far?

*** K thanks!!! ***
Hey matt020, Pat got the original starting point of this Thread, which was to get my A2000, A2088 Bridgeboard to work with an Old MFM Hard Drive hanging off an MFM/RLL controller card.   Goal was to extract the contents of the Hard drive.

Plenty of challenges were faced, ribbon cables, kickstart matching OS and Bridgeboard software, etc.  Things got solve 100% solved with help from many folks on the forum.  There were no hardware issues, just misconfigurations.

During the quest, other side projects kicked off, 4 ROM Kickstart switcher,  Upgrading Gotek to HXC firmware,  a Lotek ISA board working with Compact Flash (using bridgeboard), then a GVP Zorro II Card with SSCI Drive & 8MB Ram, a Individual ECS vga module, a Budha IDE with DOM, and External Gotek Drive Adapter and a DF0:/DF1: Drive switcher.

That explains the initial 62 pages of this thread.

Things were left to collect dust for some time.   

A week ago I ordered a  PiStorm 2k Card + 68000k relocator card to start some fresh new Retro hacking all over again with the components I have aqauired over last while.