Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring  (Read 17689 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

Amiga.org Forum Restructuring
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »
We want to open a discussion with the regular members here at Amiga.org regarding which sub-forums you use and value the most and which you feel are maybe under used and are candidates for either deletion or restructuring.

Browsing through all of the sub-forums, many are used daily and have a healthy post count, but there are some notable exceptions that are only active infrequently.

These are your forums, so your feedback is most welcome on this matter.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:44:23 PM »
I'll be honest and say I almost never even click on the "Forums" button.  The stuff that's on the homepage is what's most important to me, and with my current situation I'm able to browse it frequently.  I rarely even scroll down.  The gallery pics are small and out-dated, and what's with so many Amiga owners having such terrible quality cameras?  ;)

At a glance, it looks like you've already gotten rid of useless forums like the electric cars one, and whatnot?

I will say that the Amiga Google+ group someone mentioned here the other day is kind of awesome.  That's pictures done right, if you want some ideas.  ;)

https://plus.google.com/communities/109361184436507514764
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline commatari

• Show only replies by commatari
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:16 PM »
I usually post in the Amiga Hardware Issues and Discussion forum.

Online tonyvdb

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:46 AM »
I agree that many of the images that you see in the gallery are not worth keeping. Maybe when a member becomes inactive for more then 6months the images they uploaded are removed?
Honestly, topic treads that have nothing to do with the Amiga or at least a computer in general should not be posted here or just have a "general off topic tread" and leave it at that.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
The Electric Cars sub forum is still there.  I am not sure how relevant this is for an Amiga computer forum TBH. It's a good example of some of the sub forums that don't enhance this website.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:10:43 AM »
I think maybe commodore usa forum could moved. That my opinion.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:29 AM »
Quote from: tonyvdb;783032
I agree that many of the images that you see in the gallery are not worth keeping. Maybe when a member becomes inactive for more then 6months the images they uploaded are removed?
Honestly, topic treads that have nothing to do with the Amiga or at least a computer in general should not be posted here or just have a "general off topic tread" and leave it at that.

I believe the old images, like the old Amiga, are a big part of the history and flavor of this site!  Please don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  I like the way they randomly appear on the main page, recalling something I may have forgotten.  If they are deleted, new images probably won't re-accumulate with the same speed and variety, our numbers are too low.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 06:28:34 AM »
please don't get rid of any amiga pictures and just delete the sub forums that haven't been used in along while and that have nothing to do with The Amiga
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »
Yes the deck chairs could do with some shuffling. But isn't there a latent issue behind the symptom of "lack of use" that might prompt some more strategic, proactive and positive initiatives?

Offline pVC

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »
Yeah, there seems to be a lot to remove, haven't checked those out for ages. I usually just browse the latest threads from front page and never visit the actual forum pages, unless I'm starting a new thread.

I don't quite understand why there's complete sub-forum for just one marginal program which wasn't even top of its genre (Aladdin 4D). Couldn't it be where the rest of the software discussion is made too?

CUSA shouldn't be in Amiga related Operating Systems forum at least... if at all in its own
sub-forum.

And Coffee House seems to have a lot of useless forums... maybe just few categories would be enough. Get rid of electric cars, immortality and quantum computing at least.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;783048
please don't get rid of any amiga pictures and just delete the sub forums that haven't been used in along while and that have nothing to do with The Amiga

Agreed, I quite enjoy looking at the hardware set-up pics and people's Workbenches etc.

Vote to keep the gallery from me!

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 08:11:28 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;783027
The gallery pics are small and out-dated, and what's with so many Amiga owners having such terrible quality cameras?  ;)

Probably because most of them were taken 10 years ago, and it's been a long time since I uploaded a picture here but I remember there were restrictions on the size?  I remember spending about 10 minutes trying to get it under a max resolution, then file size when I last posted.    Could be a reason nobody posts them now, as I recall it was a bit of a headache making it fit with the restrictions.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
Those who don't like pictures could have an option to filter them.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Seiya

• Show only replies by Seiya
    • http://www.amigademo.tk
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
i think amiga.org be right as it is now :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
My suggestions:
Merge Amiga Software Issues and discussion
with Amiga UNIX
Could The Hardware Issues and Discussion thread just be Hardware Issues, everything else should be in general chat.
Go Go Gadget Signature!