Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recommendations for software solution for using Joystick as mouse in WB  (Read 619 times)

Description:

Offline AndyFCTopic starter

I've recently set up a simple OS 3 install for an A1200 with '030 accelerator and CF Hard Drive, in order to use it as a basic OS and WHDLoad machine.

I'm trying to find a good software solution to allow a Joystick to be used in the mouse port to allow 2 joysticks to be used for 2-player games. Are there any recommendations, or will I have to resort to an automated Mouse / Joystick switcher?

I have tried:
 - JoyMouse off Aminet. It leaves a window open in the background and quits when the fire button is pressed on the joystick when it's called from user-startup and doesn't run from WBStartup
 - JoyMouse from CDTV Tools off Aminet. It leaves a Window open explaining that it can be controlled with Commodity Exchange no matter how it's started
 - Fakemouse off the Weird Science Network CD2. It just crashes and presented a red flashing software error

For the two Joymouse tools I've tried various command line options to send the console output to another device e.g. ` > NIL:` but the behaviour doesn't change.

Thank you
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline TribbleSmasher

I'd go with the hardware, tbh.

Offline paul1981

Use it like this:

Run >NIL: JoyMouse 9

Reading the docs to JoyMouse (by J.Potter) it says a left mouse click and a firebutton press will quit it. So if your friend presses his firebutton and you do too (simultaneously) then it will quit (whilst Workbench is sill running at least). It shouldn't quit whilst in WHDLoad, so shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:50:21 PM by paul1981 »

Offline pVC

And don't forget that you can also control the mouse pointer from the keyboard if it's just for occasional use.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline AndyFCTopic starter

Reading the docs to JoyMouse (by J.Potter) it says a left mouse click and a firebutton press will quit it. So if your friend presses his firebutton and you do too (simultaneously) then it will quit (whilst Workbench is sill running at least). It shouldn't quit whilst in WHDLoad, so shouldn't be an issue.

When run from user-startup it would just quit as soon as the firebutton was pressed on the Joystick even with not input on the mouse; I never got as far as testing with a Joystick in the Mouse Port.

Fortunately I seem to have found the solution using the version from CDTV Tools...there is a 'nopopup' tooltype, and when I also add 'DONOTWAIT' to the tooltypes it runs on startup with no input required. Let the gaming begin.

The next time I get to tinker I'll also test the solution from paul1981.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline paul1981

Hmm... to use the joystick for control in the mouse port instead of the 'game port', then you could try using PortSwitch from aminet along with a 'JoyMouse' type program.

http://aminet.net/package/util/mouse/portswit

Offline lionstorm

I'd go with the hardware, tbh.

I have such hardware and sometimes it is not compatible with WHDLoad...