Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few questions about the GVP Impact A500 HD8+ Series II  (Read 6623 times)

Description:

Offline Huxley_DTopic starter

• Show only replies by Huxley_D
    • Check out The Retro Roadshow, my pop-up museum of vintage technology!
Re: A few questions about the GVP Impact A500 HD8+ Series II
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
Hi again guys,

Thought you might enjoy a quick update: I got in touch with a local Amigan via Craigslist yesterday, and he was kind enough to create a pair of Workbench 1.3 floppies for me. Using those, I was able to (finally!) boot to the OS and tinker around - I was relieved to see the memory line at the top showing ~9 megs (512k chip + 512k fast + 8m in the GVP sidecar). The HDD still wasn't mounting or doing much of anything, so I started tinkering with the GVP setup disks that came with it. None of them could "see" the HDD, but during one attempt there was a loud CLICK from the GVP drive, the read/write LED started blinking, and suddenly it was working (and bootable!). Maybe the heads were stuck and needed some coaxing to work loose after 20+ years of lying dormant? Who knows - I'm just psyched that it's working now!

I definitely don't 'trust' this Quantum drive and won't be terribly surprised if it suddenly dies on me, but it's at the very least confirmation that the entire GVP sidecar is electronically sound. Not too bad for $20!

Have any of you experimented with mounting some sort of SCSI-to-CompactFlash (or SD?) adapter in one of these sidecars? Any suggestions or advice around that idea?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
Quote from: Huxley_D;793384
Have any of you experimented with mounting some sort of SCSI-to-CompactFlash (or SD?) adapter in one of these sidecars? Any suggestions or advice around that idea?

Nice, glad it's working!  Yeah, 20 years of not moving, heads probably were a little stuck, haha. :D

Any SCSI-to-CF or SCSI-to-SD solution that's compatible with the Amiga should work in the sidecar.  Personally I use a Mechware SCSI card reader in mine (gives slots for PCMCIA, SD, xD, CF, MemoryStick, and SmartMedia).  Excellent reader but now that the hoarders have gotten hold of them, you can usually only find them on ebay for a couple hundred $$ (Mechy sold them much cheaper when he had them).  I had to take the cover and faceplate off (and a little bit of snipping) to get it to fit.  Here's a couple pics, one from when I first installed it, and one from when I upgraded to 3.9 a few months ago:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:15:08 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 04:49:08 PM »
PS - which AD&D game is that in your pic?  I <3 those!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline paul1981

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;793385
Nice, glad it's working!  Yeah, 20 years of not moving, heads probably were a little stuck, haha. :D

Any SCSI-to-CF or SCSI-to-SD solution that's compatible with the Amiga should work in the sidecar.  Personally I use a Mechware SCSI card reader in mine (gives slots for PCMCIA, SD, xD, CF, MemoryStick, and SmartMedia).  Excellent reader but now that the hoarders have gotten hold of them, you can usually only find them on ebay for a couple hundred $$ (Mechy sold them much cheaper when he had them).  I had to take the cover and faceplate off (and a little bit of snipping) to get it to fit.  Here's a couple pics, one from when I first installed it, and one from when I upgraded to 3.9 a few months ago:

Does your top cover actually still fit over all those gubbins? :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;793387
Does your top cover actually still fit over all those gubbins? :)

Yes sir!  :)

Pics with it closed:  http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=793381&postcount=12

Although I've tended to the habit of leaving the bottom screws out lately, so I can just "pop the hood" whenever I need to get at the other slots, LOL.  ;)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:17 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;793388
Yes sir!  :)

Pics with it closed:  http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=793381&postcount=12

Although I've tended to the habit of leaving the bottom screws out lately, so I can just "pop the hood" whenever I need to get at the other slots, LOL.  ;)

Ah ok, but, I bet your anti-RF radiation shield doesn't fit does it?!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:49:03 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;793390
Ah ok, but, I bet your anti-RF radiation shield doesn't fit does it?!

What do you think?  ;)

:laughing:

Offline paul1981

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;793392
What do you think?  ;)

:laughing:

I think you're irradiated. :laugh1:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;793393
I think you're irradiated. :laugh1:

Here's a pic of me working on my Miggy.  ;)

Offline Huxley_DTopic starter

• Show only replies by Huxley_D
    • Check out The Retro Roadshow, my pop-up museum of vintage technology!
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
If working on old computers exposes us to radiation, then presumably we're all going to develop superpowers, i.e. Peter Parker > Spider-Man. I look forward to developing the speed,  computational power and sleek good looks of an Altair 8800.

Offline curtis

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:30 PM »
I'm saving a ton of money by not having to turn the lights on at night anymore!

Although the dogs do look at me funny...

Quote from: Huxley_D;793398
If working on old computers exposes us to radiation, then presumably we're all going to develop superpowers, i.e. Peter Parker > Spider-Man. I look forward to developing the speed,  computational power and sleek good looks of an Altair 8800.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 03:57:05 AM »
Kaum zu glauben! You said you couldn't read manuals in German. I can read them, so if I can do it then anyone can do it.

As for the CD ROM drive fitting, that's a DVD ROM drive in your pics, but designed to be external. It looks the same style as one I saw recently on eBay, which was a similar colour to the Amiga case. It also has its own mains power cable. Of Course, you're not actually allowed to use this drive with an Amiga, because it's not the same or a similar colour, so it's shouting at the Amiga, as it's black.

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike381
@AmigaBruno -

You kill me, man.  Don't just say you can't do it, thousands of people have done it before you.  Research man, research!

To plug into a 500 sidecar all you need is a SCSI cable an an external chassis to physically hold and power the drive.  I bought mine off ebay a couple years ago for $3 from some Mac user.  ;)

The physical connection is easy, configuring the SCSI ID and termination is what's hard, if you've never done them before.  Also I recommend OS3.1 or 3.9.  No reason you couldn't do it with an earlier version - again - you'd just be making more work for yourself, doing it that way.

I'm a very visual person, I can learn more from a few pictures than I could from a thousand pages of text.  So if you're like me, here's a few pictures to get you started:

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 04:16:10 AM »
Kaum zu glauben! You said you couldn't read manuals in German. I can read them, so if I can do it then anyone can do it.

As for the CD ROM drive fitting, that's a DVD ROM drive in your pics, but designed to be external. It looks the same style as one I saw recently on eBay, which was a similar colour to the Amiga case. It also has its own mains power cable. Of Course, you're not actually allowed to use this drive with an Amiga, because it's not the same or a similar colour, so it's shouting at the Amiga, as it's black.

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike381
@AmigaBruno -

You kill me, man.  Don't just say you can't do it, thousands of people have done it before you.  Research man, research!

To plug into a 500 sidecar all you need is a SCSI cable an an external chassis to physically hold and power the drive.  I bought mine off ebay a couple years ago for $3 from some Mac user.  ;)

The physical connection is easy, configuring the SCSI ID and termination is what's hard, if you've never done them before.  Also I recommend OS3.1 or 3.9.  No reason you couldn't do it with an earlier version - again - you'd just be making more work for yourself, doing it that way.

I'm a very visual person, I can learn more from a few pictures than I could from a thousand pages of text.  So if you're like me, here's a few pictures to get you started:

Offline paul1981

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;793394
Here's a pic of me working on my Miggy.  ;)

Haha! Nice one!

Btw, does anyone know how these dma scsi interfaces perform when compared with the kipper cf ram board that attaches to the 68000 socket? And I'm looking for a comparison between a sidecar without accelerator (but with ram) to make it fair. I'm just interested to know if a dma drive interface is noticeably better (and worth the expense) on a 68000 Amiga when compared with the kipper CF ide (PIO) ram board on the same 68000 Amiga.

Offline apsturk

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
Oldsmobile_Mike

I have to say thanks for the great info. I also have a nice GVP (well 3) and 2 A590s. I am looking forward to having a great time with one of my A500s and put together a nice set up like yours minus the 03 upgrade. btw I was looking forward to meeting you and lots of others in CA last weekend but I had to cancel my flight and stay to deal with some work stuff.

This Amiga thing is like a sickness I have gone from no Amigas ever in my life to like 13 and a AmigaOne X1000 to boot. So far I am having a blast and I am very happy with this little hobby  :)
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

Offline Blatboy

• Show only replies by Blatboy
    • https://www.jwalterhawkes.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 03, 2015, 06:31:03 AM »
This is a great thread with a lot of awesome info.

And Huxley_D I'm jealous!  :)