Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A suggestion for the new AmigaOne X1000  (Read 6274 times)

Description:

Offline dj.echo

• Show only replies by dj.echo
Re: A suggestion for the new AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 27, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »
I have read all and a lot but every one is missing the point look at 500 and the 1200 it is not a pc it was never meant to be so why does every one
try to make it look like one it was ahead of its time it all ways was one board that is where it should all start one board invent its own custom chip for graphics sound and processing every one who took over the Amiga just wanted to make quick cash didn't bring much new to the table the Minimig is the way to go but should made to act like a 1200 not a 600
just think you can put the 1200 on one chip your os 4 on a new chip but for the home one board if i wont some thing that looks like a pc i will get a pc and most of the big game houses started life on the the Amiga but thy wont the only things thy remember is $£ that's it at one point Sony where looking to buy the Amiga what if what if ..? i have £1.0000 the Passion just need the teck .... i have worked for psygnosis sony i used to make demos years ago still use the amiga to make music now and yes a pc to
the clue is in the name
any way rant dun www.soundclick.com/ensuk :afro:

Offline Hans_

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;540284
As for price, my guess is £1200-£1500 (1950-2400 USD). But having owned a Sam and experienced the quality of OS4 I certainly won't be buying one anytime soon at any price.

Well, you did buy it knowing that the version of OS 4.1 that you got was a beta version. Update1 is a big improvement.

My suggestion to Hyperion would be to make sure that it works, and works well, and then start shipping it ASAP (and give me one). Get the hardware out to as many people as possible, especially developers. Investing in applications, games, or whatever can be done at any point, so there's no reason to delay.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
Quote from: dj.echo;540347
i have worked for psygnosis sony i used to make demos years ago still use the amiga to make music now and yes a pc to
the clue is in the name
any way rant dun www.soundclick.com/ensuk :afro:

Hey, that's really great. You worked for Psygnosys before or after the sony buyout?
I still don't know why Sony left them working on the f1 franchise. IMHO, Psygnosys was not that good on racing games. And truth is, they recently lost the franchise to Codemasters (GRID, Dirt, etc...).

Wondering why "Shadow of the Beast" does not have modern versions like Metal Gear (MSX).... :)

*PS* I agree that no new Amiga could reach mainstream on any current niche: Gaming, Tablets, Smartphones, Desktops and etc... But maybe (with a lot of people getting old), it could be the king of the modern hobbyist computing niche...
 Maybe they (we) should focus on SW tools that hobbysts like. Don't know what, maybe SDKs? Music Development tools (like Audacity, GarageBand)? Modern Deluxe Paint like editor?
 Even OpenOffice would not be "that" usefull on OS4. Most of us will always have a decent notebook running Windows, Linux or OSX close enough to work on documents.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline welck

• Show only replies by welck
    • http://www.minotaur.nl
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
I thought an old amiga dog like me could jump into this conversation

Quote from: Flashlab;540339
So, now you have finally figured out that the AmigaOne X1000 will never be a mainstream system. Question you need to ask yourself is whether you find it worthwhile to buy one for yourself. And I guess you know already...

That is very good statement; I think we all have to ask that question but also think about if others would do ask themselves the same.

I sincerely believe there is a silver (not golden) opportunity here for Amiga to jump into the hole between windows and the rest.  

Because for regular users
1) Linux is just too complex
2) Apple is too expensive (and too closed for tinkerers)
3) Windows just simply cries out for an alternative

AmigaOS is just that; transparent, quick, cheap, fast and deep if you want it to be.
Right now, we all realise regular users want the internet, foto-video-music stuff, documentation work and the occasional game. Except for games that people can play on a console anyway, AmigaOS can cover.

In my opinion, and I think this is what Amiga has been planning anyway, Amiga should be on a smartphone. Like an iPhone. BUT hook it up to a screen, bluetooth to keyboard and a mouse and you have a desktop computer. Why? Because smartphones are more then fast enough to run AmigaOS, even more so, it will be lightning fast with a few seconds of (re)boot times.

Now that...would be sweet.

Offline tone007

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
No way is (new) AmigaOS cheap, software-wise or hardware-wise.  Even Apple has them beat in that area.

edit: unless you're talking about the cheap AmigaOne I'm selling! http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51257
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:40:11 PM by tone007 »
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:35 PM »
Quote from: kolla;540232
Exactly - and there you are. Without memory protection and ability to set different security levels (aka "multiuser) there will be issues with "surf the web". Seriously, one cannot recommend any Amiga system for banking or whatever, since any application on the machine can read the memory of the browser and dig out whatever info they want.

Please don't confuse "ring0" with "root/administrator" priviledges. You can run things either in kernel/user space even if you have a single (administrator-like) user on the machine. And AmigaOS is definitely NOT a targeted to banking.
p.bes

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
Quote from:
Maybe in the future even release a smaller version (with no Xorro/PC slots etc..) and it would be a kind of moder A500 games machine yet still a computer at the same time.[/QUOTE

Install Linux on your PS3 and that's what ya got right?
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »
Quote from: JC;541385
Install Linux on your PS3 and that's what ya got right?
Hmm, this might be a silly suggestion but as the PS3 is PPC-based and has now had the other OS feature hacked. Couldn't Hyperion finish porting OS4 to it, put the PS3 hardware in an Amiga branded case bundling it with OS4 and maybe adding 500gb HD,keyboard etc., then sell this as a fairly decent computer(the X500?) which is also fully compatible with the playstation.
Even with all the peripherals I'm sure it could be sold for under £400, so it would be a cheap and powerful alternative to both and the games are already there.
Not sure about the legalities of that though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:22:26 PM by Paulie85 »

Offline tone007

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »
Since OS4 doesn't support SMP, the processor in the PS3 wouldn't be able to be utilized as designed and performance wouldn't be so great compared to Linux running on the same machine, if I understand how the PS3's CPU works.

Offline Paulie85

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
Quote from: tone007;542039
Since OS4 doesn't support SMP, the processor in the PS3 wouldn't be able to be utilized as designed and performance wouldn't be so great compared to Linux running on the same machine, if I understand how the PS3's CPU works.

Yeah, but that's being worked on at the moment isn't it?
AmigaOS 4.2

"This will be new release of the AmigaOS, and will most likely not be free. For this one, Hyperion is planning to do some serious plumbing work. SMP support is planned, but this will probably not be completed entirely for the 4.2 release - massive changes like this usually span a number of releases"
(from OS News.com)

Offline tone007

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
That probably means the PS3's will be on the used market and the PS4 (or maybe even PS5!) on sale before they have anything done.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
Quote from: Paulie85;542041
Yeah, but that's being worked on at the moment isn't it?
AmigaOS 4.2

"This will be new release of the AmigaOS, and will most likely not be free. For this one, Hyperion is planning to do some serious plumbing work. SMP support is planned, but this will probably not be completed entirely for the 4.2 release - massive changes like this usually span a number of releases"
(from OS News.com)

I'm afraid that was just common misinterpretation of what ssolie said in his presentation.

So my big problem with your "roadmap" is that it isn't a roadmap at all. After 4.1.1 nothing more has been announced by Hyperion.

(Ref: http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29845&forum=14&start=120&139#517864)

Offline Paulie85

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
Yeah, lol, everything on the Amiga takes so long. But he did state that SMP support is one of their targets.I recall one of the programmers stating that the PS3 port would be relatively straight forward so I still say that this is what they should do if they can do so legally. I would definately buy one, I'm sure other people would be interested and they do have up to 30 developers working on OS4 according to the same article . Surely a modern system that plays PS3 games as well as having the computing elements and a large hard-drive at a low price point is a lot more appealing than the current "overpriced and underpowered"  Amiga hardware.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:33:45 PM by Paulie85 »

Offline tone007

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
I guess if they're not going to do the MacMini the PS3 is a decent target for easy to get hardware.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
Quote from: tone007;542039

The Cell BE processor in the PS3 only has one central processor. The SPEs are simplified specialized coprocessors that are designed to run tasks parallel to the the central processor. I'm not even sure that Linux (on the PS3) uses the SPEs.

As such, SMP support isn't a requirement on the PS3. I'm sure drivers could be written that would allow simple background tasks to be farmed out to the SPEs without requiring true multiprocessing support.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"