Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You CAN unyellow an Amiga  (Read 6229 times)

Description:

Offline Anding

• Show only replies by Anding
Re: You CAN unyellow an Amiga
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
I heard that the French Foreign Legion use dishwashers to clean their FAMAS assault rifles with great success.

How about the keyboard?  Surely the risk is that the letters will come off?

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 10:10:48 PM »

pierre wrote:
@LoadWW
Nice, (very toy story 2 of you!)I'm not knocking anything. I agree, by all means have fun with your amiga... I know I do wich is why mine are not "white" anymore, not that they are "nasty" either.  But I don't care just take the whole thig and stick it in the clothing washer if ya like, just make sure you use softner in the dryer and you should be good to go!
(I joke)

Keep in mind this is a case/bezel I have NO use for. I was going to toss it/give it away because it was so horribly yellowed. This is why we decided to give de-yellowing a whirl.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »

Anding wrote:
How about the keyboard?  Surely the risk is that the letters will come off?

I used to pop the key caps off my 500 keyboard and put them in the silverware holder in the dishwasher.  Never had a problem with the lettering coming off.

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2006, 01:47:17 AM »
no no no... I wont do that to my precious Amigas :)

remember the story with the parthenon marbles that had a yellow color (like honey) and they made them white by destroying their surface? I dont wanna see the plastic case of my miggyes shattered in a few years from now... (it may be corrosive for it in the long run that method).

"While the artifacts held in London, unlike those remaining on the Parthenon, have been saved from the hazards of pollution, neglect, and war, they have also been irrevocably damaged by the unauthorised "cleaning" methods employed by British Museum staff in the 1930s, who were dismissed when this was discovered. Acting under the erroneous belief that the marbles were originally bright white, the marbles were cleaned with copper tools and caustics, causing serious damage and altering the marbles' coloring. (The Pentelicon marble on which the carvings were made naturally acquires a tan color similar to honey when exposed to air.) In addition, the process scraped away all traces of surface coloring that the marbles originally held. wikipedia

In the years to come Amiga would be remembered like the Parthenon of the computers :-D
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2006, 03:44:04 AM »
I have an Amiga 4000D that is BADLY yellowed. I have tried everything I can think of on the 5.25 drive bay blank to restore the original color. Including soaking in bleach, alcohol, cleaners, dishwasher, ect. Nothing short of sanding the surface off will work on the parts that I have.

I think that actual UV discoloration on some plastics simply cannot be removed. I would love to be proven wrong, but until that happens, I give up:-D

Jeff

Offline K7HTH

• Show only replies by K7HTH
    • http://NewPeopleString.com
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2006, 04:24:14 AM »
Hmmm, what's all this fuss about tanned Amigas? I like my Amigas with a little color on them. Muchas gustas mi Amigas!
Own the Web... Go PeopleString! It\'s Huge!!

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2006, 07:53:40 AM »
@Anding

Well, they don't really need those guns for firing bullets anyway.  :devildance:
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline thewalrus

• Show only replies by thewalrus
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2006, 11:37:44 AM »
You can have an unyellowed Amiga!! There is a special paint that can be bought that etches to the Amiga plastic. I got the paint colour matched and sprayed by a professional who specializes in plastic automotive painting. I disassembled my 4 4000D's, floppy drive fronts, key board surrounds and anything else that that had yellowed and gave him the bits to spray. I even got a cd drive matched to the A2000 brown colour. The results are prefect and the machines come up absolutely like new. In fact the first 4000D I did was about 3 years ago and still looks like new. Everybody else is wasting there time trying other methods. THIS WORKS!! The only down side is to do it right everthing needs to be disassembled.
I am currently refurbishing 2 3000's, a couple of A500's and other bits in this way
A4000T x2 A4000D x4 A3000 x2 1200 x4 600 x3 500 x4 and all the other bits

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2006, 11:55:15 AM »
I heard about a guy who finally succeeded in resolving his yellow Amiga problem. He'd tried for many months to get his beloved A500 back to something like it's pristine colour, but failed. All the usual remedies were tried with tender loving care. The bleaches, the rubbing alcohols, the ammonia soaks, etc., etc. All had failed and his poor little Amiga seemed to just get worse.

Anyway, by chance he saw a news article on tv which stuck in his mind. Some geezer had been awoken in the middle of the night by what he thought was a burglar. When he finally set eyes on the intruder, it wasn't a person at all but a ghostly apparition. It was standing with its back to him. Then it slowly turned around in a floaty sort of way and glided towards him. Bending over, putting its awful face fully up to the geezer's nose it took in a real deep wheezy breath.

Shaking with dreaded anticipation, the chap thought his end had surely come. "BOOOOO....!" yelled the apparition, scaring the living daylights out of the poor man. Turning away, the visitor just vanished with a faint popping sound.  The shaking fellow fell back on his bed and fainted.

Next morning, he shuffled into the bathroom and was shocked to see his hair had turned completely white! He'd heard about it before, but never thought it would happen to him. It was the shock you see.

Now before you get ahead of me, stay with it a bit longer.

After spending another three days studying Michael Jackson's case, the Amigan was at his wits end. He'd tried all the TLC Amigans are famous for and failed. It was the end of the line for his baby. He rushed to the cupboard where his A500 rested overnight and, flinging open the door with an almighty crash, he grabbed the machine with both hands and shook it like a man possessed.

"You ungrateful little t*rd! You selfish little b*gger! I spend all my life looking after you and all you do is turn yellow on me! You stinking little coward! I'm done with ya!" And he threw the thing back in the cupboard and slammed the door on it. "That'll show it. I'm done with it." he muttered under his breath.

He didn't go near the machine for weeks. He was completely depressed about anything and everything Amiga. Over following days, he really began to feel the draw of the Dark Side. Desparately he fought against it day in and day out. Months passed, but he eventually won the battle. MicroSoft would not have his soul - and the Amiga spirit slowly returned to him.

One morning after a good night's sleep, he fancied doing a little DPainting and maybe brush up on his Arexx. On opening the cupboard, he was astonished to see his old yellow Amiga had been replaced by a gleaming white one. "What the hell..? Who could have swapped it?" he wondered. But looking more closely at the case, he noticed some old familiar signs. The 'ET+JT' initials he scratched when he finally found a girlfriend. The dented space bar where the dishwasher's spinner kept catching the keyboard. This wasn't a new machine at all, it was his old faithful pal.

Over the months, he'd completely forgotten all his ranting and screaming at the little machine, but the A500 hadn't. It was the shock you see.

Now all this is a true story. I know because that man was well known to me. I know because I was that man.

Anyone seen the Vim?

JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
Yeah, using water on electronics is usually a very bad idea - even if you very thoroughly dry it afterwards.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »

[/quote]

Keep in mind this is a case/bezel I have NO use for. I was going to toss it/give it away because it was so horribly yellowed. This is why we decided to give de-yellowing a whirl.
[/quote]
I am definitely gonna give this a try myself one day. But i will expriment with other yellowed plastic stuff before putting my amiga case in the dishwasher  :-)

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 03:08:32 PM »

JaXanim wrote:
The 'ET+JT' initials he scratched when he finally found a girlfriend.

Girlfriend?  Now we know this is a lie  :crazy:

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »
@LoadWB

It's the truth I tell ya. Amigans can find girlfriends, I'm gold plated living proof of that.

So LoadWB and all fellow Amigans, never give up hope. You can find true love. There is hope, way beyond that re-whitened A500 you crave so much.

And if there are any others out there who also managed to find a girlfriend, in spite of being Amigan, please let us know right here. We must give hope to Amiga officionados around the world. They CAN eventually lead a normal life.

Thank you for listening to my story.

JaX

Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
It's the truth I tell ya. Amigans can find girlfriends, I'm gold plated living proof of that.

You're gold plated? That won't do - you're too yellow. Somebody throw him in bleach, then toss him in the dishwasher.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »

gdanko wrote:
1) Soaked it in ammonia for 1 hour
2) Soaked it in bleach for 2 weeks
3) Ran it through the dishwasher

We were shocked!!

I posted almost the same recipe (ammonia, then bleach, each for a few days) on CSAA years ago.  :-D
this space for rent

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 03, 2006, 02:02:55 AM »
JaXanim wrote:

@LoadWB

I have 18 Amigas and a wife. ;)